Life Lately: Feelings and Stuff

Dear Party People,

I’ve been slacking on blog posts and I know it. I hope I haven’t failed you … or your Christmas party. Ready for some emotional blogger stuff?

I feel a lot pressure to create for That’s so Michelle (and have a ton of ideas!) but have other responsibilities to my family and my professional life. As much as I’d like to be able to execute on all levels, I just can’t. I’ve been so busy that I haven’t been able to fall freely into my hobby, it’s felt really forced. Because of this, in my eyes, That’s so Michelle has lost it’s luster.

I think (pure honesty here) the excitement of That’s so Michelle having a book sucked some of the real life out of my blog this past year. It’s become a business venture instead of a place to be creative and have fun.

I need to get back to my roots. Sharing awesome treats that I make for people in my life and the stories behind them.

Please forgive me while I zone out this holiday and try and find that magic again. The post below (and perhaps more to follow) is an exercise in inspiration.

IMG_1486

Nick and Austin on a windy beach in OBX this Thanksgiving.

We learned a lot this Turkey Day about wanting to start our own holiday traditions for our little family unit. It’s wonderful to be a part of something bigger but feels really important right now to create memories and holiday spirit for just the three of us.

I can’t wait for Christmas. I want to do a Christmas Eve box that will have matching pajamas for the whole family (cheese ball alert), a Christmas movie and lots of treats. Little man won’t totally understand but I can’t wait to get started!

IMG_1550

New silk flowers complete my work space transformation. Bright, clean and white. A blank palette.

IMG_3678

This face. “Dank you” – “Buh-bye” – “Mow, mow” (Mickey Mouse) He is perfection. Yesterday at this small Italian restaurant a stranger standing near our booth said she remembers that phase when you can’t stop hugging and kissing them. I hadn’t even realized I was doing it.

IMG_1578

We decorated the house with lights this year for the first time. I’ve always dreamed of tasteful twinkling icicles, garland and  matching topiary trees. Which we have. But then … How can you say no to a giant inflatable Mickey Mouse santa when your little ones eyes  light up every time he sees it?

IMG_1655

Cramped hotel rooms. Wet cement. (Can you tell how I feel about NY?) Amazing Korean BBQ and a trip to Sephora.  I picked up a bottle of Benefit High Beam and  I am officially obsessed with highlighting eyebrow and cheek bones.

IMG_1661

And my favorite holiday memory yet. Our home owners association organized a holiday tree lighting in our neighborhood with hot chocolate, cider and Santa! Austin loved the cider. He kept saying “mmm!” over and over after he took sips.

Then when Santa arrived he zipped around the parking lot in a motorcycle with reindeer antlers on it, everyone yelled “Look there is Santa!!!!” and all the kids went wild!  I felt like I was reliving my childhood all over again. It. Was. Awesome.

Once we got to the part where Austin would sit on Santa’s lap, he got scared. Poor Munchie. But he got some stickers in a goodie bag (his new obsession) and got googly eyed over Santa’s motorcycle. Anything with wheels. Such a boy.

8 Responses to “Life Lately: Feelings and Stuff”

1. Erin posted on December 16, 2014 at 9:04 pm (#)

Hi Michelle!

Long time reader here and I just wanted to say that while I love your recipes and great party ideas, my favorite posts of yours are actually the more personal ones. Family pictures, “what I ate”, and kinds like the one you posted today. I love how the more personal stuff balances out the fun recipes. Try not to stress too much and hopefully things will fall back into place in the New Year 🙂 Best of luck and hope you and your family have a lovely Holiday Season 🙂

• Michelle replied on December 17th, 2014 at 1:16 am

Erin — Thank you so much for your comment <3 It really helps to hear that. I like posting more stuff like that too but I never know if anyone is out there. Thank you 🙂 Happy and joyous holidays to you and yours as well xoxo

2. Patti posted on December 17, 2014 at 2:43 am (#)

Michelle! The personal journey has been great to follow – just as much as all the food and shot (my fav!) recipes.  I always stop and take a break when your blog updates come in and I happen to think that they’re all wonderful! Life gets in the way of all things good and bad and not much you can do but roll with the punches and you do a wonderful job!  It’s so nice to know the human side of a great blogger!  Thanks for sharing the journey!

3. Caryn posted on December 17, 2014 at 2:47 am (#)

Hi Michelle

I’ve been a reader for awhile now and have always admired how you keep up the blog along with working what seems like a demanding job and being a wife and mother. I hope you find a way to make blogging fun again because you’re really good at it! Merry Christmas!!

4. Kelli+H+(Made+in+Sonoma) posted on December 17, 2014 at 3:10 pm (#)

I totally understand where you’re coming from (not that I have a child or a book deal!). I’ve always wanted to keep my blog as a hobby. I’ve never wanted to have ads for the fear that it would make me more concerned with page views. I can imagine how a book deal would exemplify that feeling.

I love a balanced blog. One that includes recipes but also life updates. I’m always interested in what other foodies are doing outside the kitchen. 🙂 That’s why I’ve always enjoyed your blog. I love your food photos/ideas and also the personal touches with Austin, your husband, and Honey. You guys are such a sweet family!

Have a great holiday, Michelle!

5. Regina posted on December 17, 2014 at 4:54 pm (#)

I feel for ya girl. I’ve been following you since you were pregnant with Austin. Right before I got pregnant last year (didn’t know I was going to get pregnant so quickly), my sister and I started a food blog, Our Trendy Table. I actually found you because I was working on creating Cocktail Candies – a collection of fabulous “Jello Shots,” and I wanted to see what was out there that was similar to what I had. I started getting really creative with my Jello Shots and people loved them, so I wanted to start a blog much like yours with food, Cocktail Candies, and such. I even sold some Cocktail Candies for a short time out of a local restaurant. Well, my blog only went about 6 months when I realized it was just too much for me. I was pregnant, working full-time (I’m an engineer by trade), and just didn’t have the energy to put into my blog like I hoped. Ironically my sister was pregnant about 6 weeks after me with her first child too! lol I still miss my blog, but had to let it go to focus on my expanding family. I admire anyone that can juggle like you can. It’s hard enough for me to go to work, make dinner, and play with my daughter before she goes to bed. If you need a friend to talk to, feel free to contact me. I’m here for ya girl! XOXO

6. Jamie+Phillips posted on December 17, 2014 at 8:42 pm (#)

I don’t know how you do it Michelle!
     Your followers are wonderful and empathetically  supportive.  I  enjoy reading how you can share openly with each other- we need this in our electronic age lives.
    I want them to know You have always been a sweetheart since day one- ,  and since its the season let me say to the whole world of blogging…  You  Michelle are the light of my life, with your husband, my grandson and the time we do get together -it  makes the circle of my life so complete.

We are amazingly blessed, and when I think back to all the things this year- one things stays with me- Austin Dean’s First birthday …..
    because I saw  that You and Nick have amazing friends. ( bet you thought I was going to write  it was that fabulous trip you took me on ? that was heavenly too)

Most people are lucky to have at least one good friend, but you have a houseful of good people n your life. I feel like your blog followers fit right in there too!

Mery Christmas to THAT”SSO MICHELLE

7. Denise posted on December 18, 2014 at 7:40 pm (#)

Love this – and all your posts! Keep the balance, its what’s most important. Austin will never be this young again! Merry Christmas Michelle!