Losing the Baby Weight: My Story, a Recipe and a Giveaway
The day I brought my son home from the hospital was one of the happiest days of my life. Unfortunately I also remember how unhappy I was with the way my body looked. I vowed to lose every single pound.
I was lucky and did lose most of it through breastfeeding and going back to work. But there was still a lingering 10lbs. I was so afraid I was just never going to shed that extra 10.
When Austin turned seven months old and we were all starting to sleep better and life with a baby was starting to feel like the new normal, I knew it was time.
For the past eight weeks through a clean eating diet and moderate exercise I’ve been able to lose 8lbs. I’ve been sharing with you some of my meal plans and now I want to share with you some of the things that have really worked for me.
1. Plan ahead. I can’t stress to you how important it’s been to plan my meals in advance. I make my breakfast and lunch the night before so it’s right there and I have no excuses to grab something unhealthy instead. One of my favorite breakfasts has been these broccoli, sun-dried tomato and feta egg cups.
I use AllWhites® egg whites. It is full of protein to keep me fuelled up all morning and is low in calories. Most importantly AllWhites is quick and easy to make ahead of time and I can just throw it in some zip-lock bags and we have breakfast for the week all set. I always have a carton of egg whites in the fridge. The possibilities are endless.
3. Start an Instagram account and keep a food journal. This helped me with number 2 and it made me feel as if I was being held accountable to someone. There are also some great accounts you can follow for recipe ideas and inspiration. Check out #cleaneating #eatclean and #healthy.
4. Take the stairs. If you have an elevator at work, don’t use it. If you can get a stand up desk, try that. Do whatever you can to get moving. I power walk back to the parking garage (about 3 blocks) at work and climb the escalators instead of taking an elevator. Any way you can bring your heart rate up throughout the day is a good thing.
Remember you lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym. The most important part of weight loss is healthy eating. Fit a healthy diet into your lifestyle first. You will start to see results and that will be so inspiring you will find yourself wanting to work out.
5. Don’t give up. In order to lose this weight I embarked on a new lifestyle, not a diet. I recently blogged about how I got the flu and couldn’t eat salads or veggies and grilled cheese was all I could keep down. I felt bad about it but got back on track as soon as I could.
A quote I love: “One bad meal doesn’t make you fat any more than one healthy meal makes you skinny.” Stay strong, love yourself and get back on track!
In honor of my healthy, clean eating journey (and 8 lbs. down!!!) AllWhites and I want to give you a $100 Visa gift card. Leave me your email address and let me know: How do you fuel a healthier you?
Broccoli Sundried Tomato and Feta Baked Egg Cups
2 cups finely chopped broccoli
3/4 cup finely chopped dry pack sun-dried tomatoes (3 ounces)
2 cups AllWhites® egg whites
3 tablespoons crumbled Feta cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or line with cupcake liners and spray insides. I used silicon liners but that’s optional.
2. Evenly divide vegetables between muffin cups. Pour AllWhites egg whites into muffin cups (they should be about ¾ full). Sprinkle the feta in last.
3. Bake 22 to 24 minutes or until set in center. Remove cups from pan immediately and let cool.
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 3/3/2014-3/31/2014.
Be sure to visit the AllWhites® egg whites brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!