Marshmallow Jello Shots in Real Marshmallows

Sometimes my husband comes up with the craziest ideas. Like hollowing out a giant marshmallow and putting alcoholic jello in it.

I didn’t think it would work (I thought the jello would soak through the marshmallow and leak out) but promised him I would try it.

Guess what … it works!

Brilliant man I married! It’s easy too.

1. Using your fingers pinch out the center of your giant marshmallows. (I ate the centers as I pinched. If I was feeding these to guests that wouldn’t be cool, but since these were just a test batch it was okay :)

2. Let your marshmallows sit out a little while to toughen up.

3. Make your alcoholic jello. I used this awesome new Jolly Rancher flavored jello. 3/4 cup water on medium heat until in reaches a boil, stir in jello packet. When dissolved, pour into 1 cup cold vodka of choice (I love Pinnacle Whipped for everything).

(For a kid friendly, non-alcoholic version just use cold water instead of vodka)

4. This step is really important. Let your alcoholic jello mixture cool. It should be at least room temperature before you poor it into your marshmallows. If it’s hot it will melt the marshmallow and it won’t work.

5. Carefully pour your jello mixture into the marshmallows.

6. Save any left over jello you have so you can check them as they set and see if any need to be topped off.  They should be ready/set in a few hours.

My next question is …. would this work with Peeps?! Hmmmmmm.

Marshmallow Jello Shots in Real Marshmallows

1 bag giant marshmallows, center hollowed out
1 cup vodka of choice
1 box jello (small box)

(The jello goes a long way, you could probably fill the whole bag of marshmallows.)

11 Responses to “Marshmallow Jello Shots in Real Marshmallows”

1. Made in Sonoma posted on March 19, 2013 at 5:05 pm (#)

Ok, so I’d probably try these marshmallow jello shots. They just sound funny! They look pretty tasty though…

2. JMB posted on March 19, 2013 at 5:19 pm (#)

Wow, that’s sweet. I mean, like, really, really sweet looking. Too sweet? I’m fascinated though!

3. chaosdancer posted on March 19, 2013 at 6:22 pm (#)

Huh…they look just like those jelly mints my grandma used to always have on hand: http://www.candywarehouse.com/colors/white-candy/products/jelly-filled-soft-mints-candy-5lb-box/ . I was looking for an excuse to get a bag of those giant marshmallows and now I’ve got one!

4. Julieisfly posted on March 19, 2013 at 7:27 pm (#)

You are the jello shot queen! Unbelievable, I would have never thought of something like this.

5. Cooking Classes San Diego posted on March 20, 2013 at 9:53 am (#)

Jello shots in marshmallows? This is brilliant! I’m going to make this for my wife and I to enjoy… just need to remember to keep them out of my kids’ reach. Thanks for this.

6. Casey Ticer posted on March 22, 2013 at 5:29 am (#)

Can’t wait to try peeps and the original recipe

7. Joan posted on March 22, 2013 at 8:16 pm (#)

I would love to make these. Is there any refrigeration involved?

8. Cathy Mchenry posted on April 17, 2013 at 1:29 pm (#)

I run a string of small Christmas lights in the hole on top. I change the strings to match the holidays or the seasons. I use some of the antique bottles I have found.
    Cathy

9. Cathy Mchenry posted on April 17, 2013 at 1:32 pm (#)

This comment has been removed by the author.

10. Cookie Garden posted on August 1, 2014 at 1:15 pm (#)

I am having a heck of the time hollowing out the marshmallows.
    As well as stopping the jello from running on the top of the marshmallow.
    Any suggestions?

• Michelle C. replied on August 1st, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Pinch and patience! Also don’t over think it, just pinch as much as you can out. As for the jello running on top I used a spoon to little by little poor it in. I poured not completely to the top and saved the jello to top it off after it set.