I didn't think it would work (I thought the jello would soak through the marshmallow and leak out) but promised him I would try it.
Guess what ... it works!
1. Using your fingers pinch out the center of your giant marshmallows. (I ate the centers as I pinched. If I was feeding these to guests that wouldn't be cool, but since these were just a test batch it was okay :)
3. Make your alcoholic jello. I used this awesome new Jolly Rancher flavored jello. 3/4 cup water on medium heat until in reaches a boil, stir in jello packet. When dissolved, pour into 1 cup cold vodka of choice (I love Pinnacle Whipped for everything).
(For a kid friendly, non-alcoholic version just use cold water instead of vodka)
4. This step is really important. Let your alcoholic jello mixture cool. It should be at least room temperature before you poor it into your marshmallows. If it's hot it will melt the marshmallow and it won't work.
5. Carefully pour your jello mixture into the marshmallows.
6. Save any left over jello you have so you can check them as they set and see if any need to be topped off. They should be ready/set in a few hours.
My next question is .... would this work with Peeps?! Hmmmmmm.
Marshmallow Jello Shots in Real Marshmallows
1 bag giant marshmallows, center hollowed out
1 cup vodka of choice
1 box jello (small box)
(The jello goes a long way, you could probably fill the whole bag of marshmallows.)