Lemon Brownies or “Lemonies”

First and foremost — before I go on and on about how AMAZING these brownies are — I want to give a high five to Rita on this recipe.

She’s brilliant and it looks like a few people have used her recipe and said it came from someone else (or that they came up with it). Gosh that bothers me.

Rita, I don’t know you but I love you and your lemon brownies. Friends reading this post, I posted the recipe below but you should check out Rita’s post for awesome step by step instructions. Fail proof.

These lemon brownies are dense and sweet just like a brownie. I thought for sure they would end up lighter like cake but nope, like a brownie.

I iced mine with a lemon cream cheese glaze that balanced out the sweetness perfectly. Right now I am wishing that I had at least one of the several “lemonies” I sent Nick to work with today.

While I was photographing yesterday I thought it would be cool to show you my little “studio”. Our bay window serves as a perfect light box for photos.

On a clear day I have to shoot in the morning or at sunset (morning has better light) if I want good photos. Between 2-5pm there is direct sunlight that doesn’t look so great.

We are buying a house soon. Have I mentioned that? We want to buy one before I myself am as big as a house. Anyway, this blog/hobby has me constantly scoping out which houses have the best light.

I’m going to miss this window when we leave.

Mmmmmmmm still drooling. Still want another lemon brownie.

Lemon Brownies  (Check out Rita’s step by step instructions)
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, soft
2 eggs
4-5 lemons (depending on how lemony you like it)
Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 oz (half of a 8oz block) cream cheese

1. Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Mix in the softened butter.

2. In another bowl whisk the eggs with the juice of 1 lemon and zest of 1 lemon. Add to the larger bowl and mix well. Batter will be thick. Add more lemon juice or zest to your liking.

3. Pour into a greased 8×8 brownie pan. (You can use a 9×13 pan but you have to double the recipe)
 Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. (For the  9×13 pan bake for 30 minutes).

4. While baking mix your soft cream cheese and powdered sugar with juice of 1/2 a lemon zest of 1 lemon. (taste test and sweeten or add more juice and zest until it taste just how you like it)

5. Remove lemon brownies from oven and let cool completely, then glaze. Top with more zest and cut into squares and serve.

13 Responses to “Lemon Brownies or “Lemonies””

1. Sean Marie posted on January 7, 2013 at 6:17 pm (#)

Looks delicious! Seriously, your photography is so amazing! I love the way you stage your pictures and the colors you choose. :)

• Michelle O replied on January 7th, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Thanks Sean :) We miss you guys.

2. Collections posted on January 7, 2013 at 6:20 pm (#)

omg these look amazing!

Collections

3. Mo (New on U) posted on January 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm (#)

Congrats on purchasing a home – that’s very exciting!

And I’m SO looking forward to being out of out basement apartment so I can maybe get some pictures that look somewhat decent every once in a while. This window is perfect!

• Michelle O replied on January 7th, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I can’t wait to see your travels in San Fran! So much going on for you too!

4. Kathi posted on January 8, 2013 at 2:01 am (#)

I make an ‘orange brownie’…an old Paula Deen recipe before she went all Hollywood :) Love your pics too. For Orange Brownies recipe you can see my old icky photo here :http://laughingspatula.blogspot.com/2011/11/orange-brownies.html (another photo I need to redo!). Thanks!

• Michelle O replied on January 8th, 2013 at 6:48 pm

oh yummmmm those look delicious! I will have to try those too! Thanks Kathi. I think the photos look mouthwatering. :)

5. Ashley Ranger posted on February 13, 2013 at 12:24 am (#)

Hello! This recipe look great, I can’t wait to try it…one small question though, how much is “one stick of butter”? around a 1/2 cup? Thanks!!!

• Michelle O replied on February 13th, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Hey Ashley — yeah I think it’s about half a cup. Doesn’t sound like that much when you put it that way ;)

• Ashley Ranger replied on February 13th, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Thank you so much! making them as we speak :)

6. Chris Vancuren posted on March 28, 2014 at 4:47 pm (#)

Thanks Rita for the recipe….i made these for my coworkers and they were a hit!!!
    They asked for the recipe so shared your link.

7. J Smith posted on May 22, 2014 at 11:04 pm (#)

I made them…they are baking, but the batter was too thin…so I added more flour and sugar to make it “Batter-like”. I am concerned, pretty sure I doubled it right, but it wasn’t thick enough. Hope they turn out okay, they smell great!!

• Michelle C. replied on May 23rd, 2014 at 2:05 pm

How did they come out? I can’t remember how thick the batter is supposed to be. I followed Rita’s recipe and they were perfection. I agree about the smell too!