Lemon Brownies or “Lemonies”
First and foremost — before I go on and on about how AMAZING these brownies are — I want to give a high five to Rita on this recipe.
She’s brilliant and it looks like a few people have used her recipe and said it came from someone else (or that they came up with it). Gosh that bothers me.
Rita, I don’t know you but I love you and your lemon brownies. Friends reading this post, I posted the recipe below but you should check out Rita’s post for awesome step by step instructions. Fail proof.
These lemon brownies are dense and sweet just like a brownie. I thought for sure they would end up lighter like cake but nope, like a brownie.
I iced mine with a lemon cream cheese glaze that balanced out the sweetness perfectly. Right now I am wishing that I had at least one of the several “lemonies” I sent Nick to work with today.
While I was photographing yesterday I thought it would be cool to show you my little “studio”. Our bay window serves as a perfect light box for photos.
On a clear day I have to shoot in the morning or at sunset (morning has better light) if I want good photos. Between 2-5pm there is direct sunlight that doesn’t look so great.
We are buying a house soon. Have I mentioned that? We want to buy one before I myself am as big as a house. Anyway, this blog/hobby has me constantly scoping out which houses have the best light.
I’m going to miss this window when we leave.
Mmmmmmmm still drooling. Still want another lemon brownie.
Lemon Brownies (Check out Rita’s step by step instructions)
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, soft
4-5 lemons (depending on how lemony you like it)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 oz (half of a 8oz block) cream cheese
1. Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Mix in the softened butter.
2. In another bowl whisk the eggs with the juice of 1 lemon and zest of 1 lemon. Add to the larger bowl and mix well. Batter will be thick. Add more lemon juice or zest to your liking.
3. Pour into a greased 8×8 brownie pan. (You can use a 9×13 pan but you have to double the recipe)
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. (For the 9×13 pan bake for 30 minutes).
4. While baking mix your soft cream cheese and powdered sugar with juice of 1/2 a lemon zest of 1 lemon. (taste test and sweeten or add more juice and zest until it taste just how you like it)
5. Remove lemon brownies from oven and let cool completely, then glaze. Top with more zest and cut into squares and serve.