Gingerbread Men Jello Shots

I’ve wanted to make gingerbread men jello shots for a long time now, but every time I looked up a recipe online it required three different types of booze (expensive!) and instructions to melt molasses and peel and boil real ginger.

Way too much work.

But … you are going to love me, I found a solution to our gingerbread problems.

This little packet of flavoring is meant for frosting, but it works just as well in a mixture of sweetened condensed milk, water, gelatin and vodka.

It also has the perfect brown gingerbread coloring your shots will need. I found it in the canned frosting and cake isle at my grocery store (you can buy it online here too).

I layered the jello with cherries in the middle (just like I did with these, and these) so that you can pick up your little guys with ease.

The cherries also look kind of cute too, like a button or the gingerbread mans heart.

Of course I couldn’t eat these, because I’m preggers. (Ba-humbug!) But hubby did and he said they were tasty and strong.

Cheers to the start of the Christmas season! xoxo

Gingerbread Men Jello Shots

Mini gingerbread men cookie cutter (I bought mine at Michaels, it’s this Wilton set)
2 cups vodka (vanilla, whipped, or cake flavored!)
2 cups Water
6 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
1 packet Frosting Creations mix, gingerbread flavor (Seasonal limited edition, they are with the canned frosting at most grocery stores or buy here)
4 envelops of Knox gelatin
15-20 maraschino cherries with stems, halved
30-40 mini nonpareils white sprinkles (these round ones)

(For a kid friendly, non-alcoholic version just use cold water instead of vodka)

Step 1 – Boil 1 cup of water with 3 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk. When condensed milk and water are combined  add half of your gingerbread Frosting Creations mix and stir. (Taste with a spoon to make sure it’s sweet enough. If it’s not add a few tablespoons of sugar and boil again until combined.)

Step 2 – Turn off the heat and let your mixture cool completely.  When mixture is cool sprinkle 2 envelopes of Knox gelatin powder on top. Let sit for for 1-2 minutes, letting it activate. Turn on the heat again and stir with a whisk until combined.

Step 3 – Add 1 cup cold vodka (Flavored vodkas like, vanilla, whipped, or cake is delicious)

Step 4 – Spray the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking pan with non stick baking spray. Pour mixture into pan. Place in refrigerator until firm (1-2 hours).

Step 5 -
Cut 15-20 Maraschino cherries (with stems) in half  and place them on your gingerbread jello. Make sure to space out enough room for your gingerbread cookie cutter (see photo 2).

Step 6Repeat steps 1-3

Step 7 – Pour your second batch of gingerbread and vodka jello on top of your hardened batch. Make sure your cherries are still spaced out and upright. Place back in the fridge until hardened. (1-2 hours)

Step 8 – When hardened, using your mini gingerbread cookie cutter slowly push down and cut out each jello shot. Wiggle the cookie cutter around to make sure the edges are separated and lift out using a mini spatula or fork.

Final Step (optional) Place eyes on your gingerbread men. I used mini nonpareils white sprinkles (these round ones).

Happy Holidays!

20 Responses to “Gingerbread Men Jello Shots”

1. Robin Yourgrave posted on November 25, 2012 at 8:38 pm (#)

Yes please! These look incredible. Totally using this recipe.

2. Heather posted on November 25, 2012 at 9:55 pm (#)

WHAT! So smart and adorable! I want them now along with some real cookies lol

3. Sierra posted on November 26, 2012 at 12:16 am (#)

This is a home run. I cannot wait for an occasion to make these.

4. Michelle posted on November 26, 2012 at 3:37 am (#)

Why does the bottle layer look so much darker than the top layer? I love your recipes and make them often! Thanks.

• Michelle O replied on November 26th, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I was actually going to include that in the post and I forgot! When making the first layer I wasn’t sure if the color would be right so I added some cocoa powder to darken it, I realized I didn’t need it though. The flavor mix packet added the perfect color. The cocoa powder made it too brown. :)

5. Dott posted on November 26, 2012 at 5:10 pm (#)

This is your best jell-o shot creation yet! So cute, love the little eyes :)

6. Stephanie @Eat. Drink. Love. posted on November 27, 2012 at 6:51 am (#)

Eek! These are too cute for words!

7. Tracy @ Honey and Nutmeg posted on November 29, 2012 at 8:20 pm (#)

These look fantastic!

honeyandnutmeg.blogspot.com

8. Melissa posted on November 30, 2012 at 3:31 am (#)

What store did you find the mix at? I’m looking everywhere! These would be perfect for a party I’m attending on the 8th.

• Michelle O replied on November 30th, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Hi Melissa! I got the mix at Safeway. They are kind of tucked in a shelf with the canned frosting. But did you see that you can order them online? I have the link above.

• Melissa replied on November 30th, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I’ve looked at Super Target, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, and Harris Teeter. The link you provided does not seem to have the Gingerbread flavor.

9. me10lee83 posted on December 3, 2012 at 11:06 pm (#)

I’ve found you can also re-melt jello shots, so melt the leftovers after cutting out the gingerbread men and repeat! Will have to go to smaller dishes to make them the same depth, but this way there’s less waste!

10. Ellen Kuni posted on December 10, 2012 at 2:25 am (#)

Hi Michelle,

What’s the point of making a second batch and pouring it over the top of the first? Is that just to make the shots thicker? I guess my question is– is it necessary?

Thanks!

11. Michelle O posted on December 10, 2012 at 2:28 am (#)

The first layer is so you can place the cherry (cut in half right in the middle) on top. Then you pour the second layer so it hardens over the cherry. If you doing want to put a cherry in the center you don’t need two layers :)

• Michelle O replied on December 18th, 2012 at 6:45 pm

*don’t not “doing” sorry.

12. Andy Costigan posted on December 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm (#)

I’ve found the gingerbread flavoring this week at a local supermarket here in the Pittsburgh area (Shop n’ Save) and also at WalMart.

13. Julie & Alex posted on December 24, 2012 at 4:50 am (#)

I couldn’t find the gingerbread flavor anywhere (though I know I’ve seen it before) so I used cherry vanilla and they were delicious! Only difficulty was picking them up by the stem – a number of times the two layers pulled apart. Maybe don’t let the first layer set quite so long, or just put down the cherries first and only pour one layer? Nevertheless, awesome recipe!

14. Amy (So There, by Amy) posted on January 20, 2014 at 10:36 pm (#)

Bahahahaha! I just realized you have a whole Header Tab dedicated to Jello shots.
    Epic.
    And these ones sound amazing. I’m still ordering the Gingerbread Latte at Starbucks until they pry the empty drink syrup bottle from my hands, haha. Yum.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: 38 Clever Christmas Food Hacks That Will Make Your Life So Much Easier | Arlen Benny Cenac, Jr.