Marinated Kale Salad with Apples and Gouda

My co-worker and very good friend Ericka has been such a good influence on me in terms of what I eat and how I exercise. I’ve picked up many of my healthy habits from her. So when I noticed she eats a kale salad with chicken just about everyday for lunch, I was really curious.

Are kale salads good? What do they taste like? I only ever bake kale in the oven for “chips.”

When I saw this recipe in Southern Living, I thought it was the perfect one to try out.

I used green apples instead of pink lady. I also got this amazing block of Gouda from Trader Joes that had hints of butterscotch and caramel in it.

While kale certainly is tougher than a regular lettuce, the lemon juice it marinates in overnight softens it up, and well of course the cheese helps.

Overall, this is a good salad, but I don’t know if I could do it everyday. ;)

Marinated Kale Salad with Apples and Gouda (recipe from Southern Living)
1 Granny Smith Apple
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 bag or 2 bunches Lacinato kale, stemmed and chopped (about 8 oz.)
1/4 cup shaved aged Gouda cheese of choice

1. Chop apple into medium, bite sized pieces.

2. Whisk together lemon juice and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add kale and apples; toss to coat. Cover and chill 2 to 24 hours. Add Gouda cheese, and toss just before serving.

7 Responses to “Marinated Kale Salad with Apples and Gouda”

1. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted on September 19, 2012 at 4:12 pm (#)

This looks amazing michelle!!

2. Jenn LaPlante posted on September 19, 2012 at 9:39 pm (#)

I’ve never even tried kale but it seems to be very popular in recipes lately! Is it just a tough lettuce or does it have any sort of special flavoring? I think to try it soon…

Love your picture, michelle!
    <3 jenn

• Michelle O replied on September 21st, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Jenn it has been so popular lately. I’ve definitely noticed a Kale trend. It has little bit of a stronger flavor than lettuce but not as prominent as lets say spinach. Def try the chips to start! SO GOOD

• JewishGirlBlog replied on February 9th, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Kale is also much more nutritionally dense than most lettuce. It is packed with good-for-you nutrients.

3. Tracy {Pale Yellow} posted on September 20, 2012 at 12:34 am (#)

Great looking salad! I’ve never thought to include apple and gouda before!

4. Ammie posted on September 21, 2012 at 1:47 pm (#)

I adore kale these days! I buy the ready to eat bags from Trader Joe’s and have been caught, more than once, with my hand in the bag & eating it plain. Yum! Plus, my thinking is that no one gets fat from eating too many leafy greens. :) Thanks for this yummy recipe

5. Eating Local in the Lou posted on September 21, 2012 at 5:28 pm (#)

What a lovely combo- you can’t go wrong with some Gouda on top!