Zucchini Cakes with Lemon Zest

That’s a good looking zucchini cake isn’t it? This was my first shot at making these and I’m not gonna lie, it was a little bit more labor intensive than I thought it would be. But the end result was worth it.

You just shred up the zucs and some potato, add onion, lemon zest (I loved the lemon zest!), chives and egg, form up your cakes and lightly pan fry them.

It’s mostly the Mise en place (oh I’m fancy) that takes a lot of time.

We had ours for lunch, but they would be awesome for breakfast or even a light dinner. I topped them with some tzatziki sauce too. (I saw them first here, via pinterest and was craving them ever since).

Zucchini Cakes
(recipe slightly adapted from Alexandra’s Kitchen)
3 grated zucchinis
1 cup coarsely grated red potatoes
salt
pinch of flour
2 eggs
1 handful chopped chives (or whatever herb you like)
Zest of one lemon
1/2 cup diced white onion
2 tablespoons olive oil (or cooking spray)

1. Grate your zucchini and potato, then squeeze out as much water as possible in a colander. Spread out the veggies and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to drain.

2. After 30 minutes, squeeze veggies out again and wrap in paper towels. Squeeze again. Sprinkle veggies with more salt and a pinch of flour. (It’s important to get out as much water as possible or they won’t fry up)

3. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, chives and lemon zest. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add onion and egg mixture to zucchini and potatoes in a large bowl. Combine.

5. Preheat oven to 200˚F. Place your olive oil or cooking spray in a large frying pan, heat on medium. Add small handfuls (size of a small meatball) to your pan and cook until golden brown on each side, flattening with a spatula.

6. Keep the fritters that are done warming on a foil covered cookie sheet in your preheated oven while you pan fry the rest. Serve warm!

10 Responses to “Zucchini Cakes with Lemon Zest”

1. Pola M posted on August 30, 2012 at 3:46 pm (#)

Looks delicious! But houw do you keep them from falling apart? mine always do :(

• Michelle O replied on August 30th, 2012 at 3:47 pm

The recipe I based this one off of only used one egg. That just didn’t seem like enough to hold it together for me, so I added another. Maybe that’s why? :)

2. delightfulcrab posted on August 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm (#)

YUM these look great! and very little oil :)

3. Sean Marie posted on August 30, 2012 at 4:06 pm (#)

You always make such interesting things! These look great. Your photography is amazing too!

4. Real Food Runner posted on August 30, 2012 at 8:28 pm (#)
  5. Meeling posted on August 31, 2012 at 1:47 pm (#)

Delicious! I love the lemon zest – sounds like it would be a great brunch recipe.

6. TiffanyAnn posted on September 4, 2012 at 12:16 am (#)

Are these suppose to end up crispy or more like a solid scramble egg?

• Michelle O replied on September 4th, 2012 at 2:10 am

Crispy on the outside with a veggie hashbrown taste on the inside…

7. Anita at Hungry Couple posted on September 4, 2012 at 4:29 am (#)

I love these and make them a lot. I also make them in the oven. Not as tasty but a little healthier. :) Your photo is beautiful!

8. Day-Dreaming Optimist posted on July 20, 2013 at 12:53 pm (#)

Michelle, your recipe helped me out a lot! Thank you for sharing – it gave me inspiration to make some of my own, and posted it on my own foodie website – and I linked you in the post, I hope you don’t mind :) My website is http://www.pocketfulofthyme.wordpress.com, in case you wanted to see it. Thank you, Michelle!