Man Food: 50/50 Burger

What happens when you mix ground beef with uncooked bacon and throw it on the grill?

You get the juiciest most flavorful burger ever!

Just think of all that rendered bacon flavor actually being inside the meat and not just on top.

I had never heard of this before, but of course the man of the house had. He said it was called a “50/50 burger.”  I think they make them at a California burger chain.

Have I mentioned that this is the first summer that we’ve ever had our very own grill?  I think it was a right of passage for Nick.

Man meets girl. Man and girl buy dog. Man and girl get married. Man buys grill … and they live happily ever after (with bacon burgers).

Happy Friday ya’ll, get on that grill this weekend, drink some sangria and enjoy whats left of the summer!

50/50 Burger (makes about 4 regular sized burgers)
1 pound (16 oz) uncooked bacon
1 pound (16 oz) lean ground beef
Sliced American cheese
Burger buns and toppings of choice

1. Chop uncooked bacon with a knife or in a food processor until it’s in small pieces. Add bacon pieces to ground beef in a large mixing bowl. Combine meat and bacon and form burger patties. (you can add the cheese in small pieces here too!)

2. Grill the burgers, flipping to brown each side. Note: You have to cook the burgers closer to medium temperture in order to fully cook/render the bacon. We like our meat rare usually but with this recipe it’s worth it! Top burgers with cheese until melted.

3. Place on buns with toppings of choice and enjoy!

9 Responses to “Man Food: 50/50 Burger”

1. Sarah posted on August 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm (#)

Why have I never heard of this?! It’s brilliant! I absolutely will be making these soon.Thanks for sharing!

2. Anonymous posted on August 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm (#)

I think that might be a new heart-attack-on-a-bun meal…but is making my mouth water anyway. Your hubby looks great working the grill by the way! :)

• Michelle O replied on August 10th, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Doesn’t he <3 :) Thanks!

3. April posted on August 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm (#)

this is awesome! one of my friends has been wanting to try this-great to know that it works out and tastes delicious :)

4. Made in Sonoma posted on August 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm (#)

I’m pretty sure David would be the happiest man on the planet if I made him these burgers. Though, I’d do ground turkey.

• Michelle O replied on August 10th, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Be-careful with the turkey since it cooks faster than beef! Thats a really good idea though! Good thinking. Loved your recent pancakes. They are like vacation pancakes! YUM. Happy weekend :)

5. Anita at Hungry Couple posted on August 11, 2012 at 12:13 pm (#)

Yes, you’ve got the order of life down correctly. Boy meets girl, get dog, get grill, etc. :) I’ve got photos of Brian working the grill like your hubs. Something about a man working a grill to feed his family! :)

6. Gerry @Foodness Gracious posted on August 12, 2012 at 7:17 am (#)

Ahh the perfect love story :) I’ve seen this half bacon idea from the chain and it sounds like I need to get my grill on!

7. Anonymous posted on August 14, 2012 at 3:21 pm (#)

Made them this weekend and they were soooooooo good! Had an array of toppings but mine were guacamole and pepperjack: perfect!