Fresh Peach Bread Pudding (with Coconut Milk)

After a long hike on the Billy Goat Trail in Potomac, MD this weekend we stopped at Balducci’s on the way home. I used to live right in that area and have desperately missed my “Food Lovers Market.”

While browsing, someone stocking produce told us that the peaches were really fresh. “Here would you like to try some” he said, pulling out a pairing knife and slicing a sample (see why I love this store). He was right, best peaches I’ve had all summer so I had to buy a few.

Since we had some old bread and a can of silky coconut milk already at home I thought that peach bread pudding would be delicious for breakfast the next day.

I’ve actually never tried my famous bread pudding recipe with coconut milk instead of cream. It was definitely lighter and there was just a slight hint of coconut flavor.

I don’t think I will ever use heavy cream in that recipe again.

I sprinkled some white chocolate chips on top just for a little added sweetness.

On a separate note, only slightly related to bread pudding, I have decided to give up refined sugars for awhile and see how I feel. I’ve been feeling sluggish and my muscles have been aching lately and even though I run almost daily for exercise I don’t think it’s enough.

The plan is to cut out refined sugar for a couple weeks and make it to some yoga classes to stretch out those aching muscles and see if I feel any better. I will keep you updated!

Fresh Peach Bread Pudding (with Coconut Milk)

2 ripe peaches
1 loaf of old white bread
1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk (about 1 can)
1 1/2 cups regular milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup brown sugar
1 handful white chocolate chips (optional)

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Chop your peaches into bit sized pieces, reserve some larger slices for topping.

2. In a large bowl add your bread, eggs, milk, coconut milk, sugar and bite sized peaches. Combine with your hands or a large spoon. Grease a 9×13 brownie or cake pan and pour in your bread mixture. Top with the larger peach slices.

3. Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the edges are completely golden. Top your handful of white chocolate chips. Serve warm or cold.

11 Responses to “Fresh Peach Bread Pudding (with Coconut Milk)”

1. Sean Marie posted on August 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm (#)

I’m getting ready to make a peach rice pudding for Natalie that has coconut milk in it! Kinda weird that you just posted a really similar receipe.

This looks really good. :)

2. Michelle O posted on August 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm (#)

Haha that is funny, we must be on the same wave lengths this week. Peach rice pudding with coconut milk sounds REALLY good. Lucky little girl over there :)

3. Sutapa posted on August 13, 2012 at 4:31 pm (#)

Delicious yummy peach rice pudding with coconut milk!

4. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted on August 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm (#)

This looks perfect!!

5. Diana posted on August 13, 2012 at 11:50 pm (#)

Yum, it looks delicious, and I’m pretty sure it must taste the same!! Happy Monday!! :D

6. Melissa posted on August 14, 2012 at 12:59 am (#)

Perfect. I have been saving the ends of my homemade bread not knowing what to do with them. I felt it was a waste to throw them away. I also have 2 pecks of nectarines on my counter…. Guess what I’ll be trying?

7. Collections posted on August 15, 2012 at 1:16 pm (#)

I think this would really seal the deal if I made this for my BF. Looks SO delicious.

Collections

8. Anonymous posted on August 17, 2012 at 3:48 pm (#)

This looks so good! Question–do you break up the bread or leave the slices whole?

• Michelle O replied on August 17th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Really good question! I must have skipped that part. Cut the bread into cubes before mixing everything together :)

9. All That I'm Eating posted on August 23, 2012 at 12:32 pm (#)

This sounds wonderful and so simple too! I’d love this pretty much to myself.

10. Noelle Marie posted on August 23, 2012 at 4:39 pm (#)

Looks amazing. Always interested in how to use that last hit of coconut milk. Love the combo with peaches. Perfect. Lovely blog