Let Them Eat Cake in Mason Jars!

Here is my cake and my wedding favors. We passed around heart shaped sparklers as well, the kids loved them.

My Aunt Shannon made the cake and it was not only gorgeous (can you believe we didn’t buy this from a bakery?) but it was delicious too. Real butter cream frosting, strawberries macerated in Triple Sec and yellow cake. She really put a lot of love and care into making this cake beautiful.

The favors, made by my mom, were little cakes in a mason jars for our guests to take to go. We had a lot of people traveling by car (great distances) and I heard from so many people that it was the perfect treat for later.

They were banana rum cakes with fresh blueberries and strawberries — totally adorable and a great idea. I get a lot of my creativity and love for cooking and baking from my mom. I was very lucky to have her help!

Since we had a pretty small DIY wedding it was help from family with things like this that really made a difference.

We had cake after an early lunch at The Black Pelican, a restaurant in the Outer Banks area that Nick’s grandparents love. It was nothing fancy, but it meant a lot to us to be able to sit down with the people we love and feed them!

Our photographer was only at our sunrise ceremony so these are some photos that friends took.

Cutting the cake was one of my favorite parts of the luncheon/brunch. My nerves were finally starting to subside and I was able to breathe again. Have I mentioned how nervous I was the whole time? I was hardly myself.

I wasn’t nervous to marry him, that was the one thing I was sure of, so I am not sure why I was such a frazzled mess. Sigh …

I can’t wait to share our photos with you when they come in and more tips about what worked out well and what I would do differently! Should only be another week or so.

Here are some great recipes for cakes in mason jars.

16 Responses to “Let Them Eat Cake in Mason Jars!”

1. Ellen B Cookery posted on July 17, 2012 at 4:11 pm (#)

How beautiful! I love your wedding cake. It looks so professional. By the way, will you show a better detail to your mother’s cake recipe in the mason jar. I would love that recipe:D

• Michelle O replied on July 17th, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Yes definitely! I’ve been waiting for her to send the recipe, as soon as she sends it I will update this post! :) Glad you asked.

2. The Suttons posted on July 17, 2012 at 5:08 pm (#)

What a creative idea to give the cakes away as favors! I love it. :)

3. Christina Marie posted on July 17, 2012 at 5:16 pm (#)

Very smart, girl!

Christina

4. Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl posted on July 17, 2012 at 6:18 pm (#)

Everything is so pretty! I love the cake in a jar favors!

5. Summer posted on July 17, 2012 at 8:04 pm (#)

Beautiful pics. Also, what a great idea with the mason jar favors!! Will definitely be sharing.

6. redev 10952 posted on July 18, 2012 at 10:59 am (#)

Congrats on your wedding, happiness always

7. Peter Block posted on July 18, 2012 at 1:08 pm (#)

congrats and love the cake in a jar concept.

8. Anita at Hungry Couple posted on July 18, 2012 at 1:26 pm (#)

I love it. I’m not a fan of cookie cutter, ‘wedding factory’ type ceremonies. The ones like yours that show who and what is really important to the couple are the best!

9. Val @ Mental Chew posted on July 18, 2012 at 2:40 pm (#)

Congratulations Michelle!!! What an original idea. Love it.

10. maggie. mayd. posted on July 18, 2012 at 6:46 pm (#)

Michelle- Your wedding is picture perfect. I adore everything. It makes me tear knowing I couldn’t be there. I love you, beautiful bride.

11. Emily posted on July 18, 2012 at 9:54 pm (#)

I love the cake in mason jars idea. Perfect as a wedding favor!

12. JImmy Batte posted on July 19, 2012 at 4:40 am (#)

Yum! Congrats on the wedding!

13. Lori Lynn posted on July 20, 2012 at 2:16 am (#)

Hi Michelle – congrats on your marriage! The mason jar cakes are a darling idea. Looking forward to reading more about your special day…
    LL

14. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies posted on July 21, 2012 at 3:21 pm (#)

Congratulations on your wedding! We also had a small DIY wedding too–it’s nice not to spend the first several years of marriage paying off the wedding. ;) The mason jar cakes are such a cool idea & the wedding cake is just gorgeous!

15. The Vintage Boomer posted on July 21, 2012 at 8:23 pm (#)

Congratulations on your wedding. I stumbled onto your blog and saw that cake in a mason jar and had to follow. Wow I am so excited.

New follower and hope you will follow me back. What a talent you are!