How cute are these mini watermelon slice jello shots? They worked out just as I had hoped. My only regret is that I didn't have pink jello, only red. I think pink would be cuter. Cute in a Lilly Pulitzer type of way.
I swear I had pink jello in my stock pile, sigh ... Oh well the red is still adorbs.
I was also thinking for the Fourth of July a red, white and blue combo would look just like those rocket ship ice cream bars. Wouldn't they? I will definitely have to make those too.
So it's pretty simple actually. You just make your three different colored/flavored jellos and layer them in a loaf pan.
A little green layer first . . .
Then the a small layer of white after the green hardens (instructions on how to make white jello below) . . .
And then the pink (red in my case), which you will fill the loaf pan with since there is the most pink on a watermelon slice.
I used tequila but you could use any alcohol you want!
*Two important tips: One is that I made the jello thicker and stronger than usual to keep it on the stick, also it's important to lightly spray the plate you serve these cuties on with some cooking spray. Not enough to actually see it, but enough so when your guests pick up their shot it wont stay stuck on the plate.
1 regular sized (small) box lime jello
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup tequila (the good stuff that doesn't make you choke when you drink it)
1. Boil your 2/3 cup water and then add your lime jello packet. When it has all dissolved add to you 2/3 cup tequila.
2. Pour about half of your green jello mixture into your loaf pan and refrigerate until it's solid, about 30-45 mins. (If you are worried about the left over, pour it in a dixie cup and serve it later, someone will want a plain old jello shot I promise)
1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup water
1 packet Knox Gelatin
I don't use alcohol in this layer because it's too small, it would be a waste.
1. Pour your water and tablespoon condensed milk into a sauce pan. Sprinkle your gelatin packet on top and let it sit for a minute. After it sits, stir and turn on medium heat until the gelatin dissolves and is combined. Pour this mixture on top of the hardened green layer. Just a SMALL LIGHT LAYER.
Pink or Red Layer
1 regular sized (small) box watermelon (or pink or red) jello
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup tequila
1. Boil your 2/3 cup water and then add your pink jello packet. When it has all dissolved add to you 2/3 cup tequila.
2. Pour all of your pink jello mixture on top of the white layer and refrigerate overnight.
Slicing and Serving Directions
1 sharp knife
1 triangle cookie or fondant cutter (optional)
Mini wooden popsicle sticks (they have them at Michael's or other craft stores)
1. Let your loaf pan sit in a small puddle of warm water, flip over your loaf pan on to a cutting board. If the jello doesnt come out (and you want to come out WHOLE) Run a butter knife around the edges of the loaf pan before you flip.
2. Slice pieces off of the jello as if you were cutting slices of bread. Make triangles with the green layer the largest at the bottom.
3. Spray your serving tray with a baking or cooking oil. Stick your popsicle sticks into the bottom (green layer) of the jello shot until it is secure and keep refrigerated until serving.
Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone and welcome sweet summer time!
For featuring on your website please make sure to contact firstname.lastname@example.org