Spicy Coffee Glazed Meatballs

I’ve been trying to make better meatballs. I figured that since my meatloaf is incredible, how much harder can it be to make a good meatball?

These were inspired by these cherry coke and jalapeño glazed meatballs from Kayotic Kitchen. But instead of cherry coke and jalapeño I made a coffee and siracha glaze.

They came out soft and salty on inside and sweet and spicy on the outside. Delicious!

Awhile back I was sent some more Starbucks K-cups to sample — I do love my Starbucks coffee — and it was super easy to just brew one cup of delicious french roast coffee for my glaze.

I need to cook more with coffee. I love way too much to only have it in the morning :)

Meatballs:

1 pound ground beef
1 large egg
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Mushrooms (chopped up to crumb size in food processor)

Seasoning:

1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp fresh parsley

Glaze:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Starbucks French Roast Coffee (set your Keurig to a teacup setting and it should make half a cup nice and strong)
1 – 2 tablespoons Siracha Sauce

1. Preheat your oven to 400F°

2. Combine spices and then mix your meat, eggs, breadcrumbs and mushrooms. When well combined mix into table spoon sized balls.

3. Line a cookie sheet with baking paper and cook for 15 minutes. Remove and let cool.

4. Add your brown sugar and Siracha and coffee to a skillet or saucepan with a thick bottom.  Cook for about 8 minutes. It will bubble, don’t worry just KEEP STIRRING to avoid over flowing.

5. When you have the right consistency turn off the heat and brush or spoon your meatballs with the glaze. Place the meatballs on a separate plate and serve with toothpick sticks.

11 Responses to “Spicy Coffee Glazed Meatballs”

1. Christina Marie posted on May 21, 2012 at 6:56 pm (#)

Wow the flavors for this seem unreal. Nutmeg and coffee?! Yum. Look great. :)

Christina

2. Amanda at the red table posted on May 21, 2012 at 7:25 pm (#)

Very interesting! I always have ground beef on hand and am always looking for new ways to make meatballs b/c they’re so easy! This is on my list…hmmmm…

3. Made in Sonoma posted on May 21, 2012 at 9:19 pm (#)

Looks so good!

4. Kim Bee posted on May 22, 2012 at 3:44 am (#)

These look absolutely amazing. Nothing like a great meatball.

5. Gerry @Foodness Gracious posted on May 22, 2012 at 4:52 am (#)

I’ve never found a truly awesome meatball recipe but these look dang good, I’ll have to give them a try..

6. Dee posted on May 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm (#)

Never heard of coffee glazed meat balls, but these looks so amazing!

7. RavieNomNoms posted on May 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm (#)

How creative! I have never heard of this before.

8. Amrita posted on May 22, 2012 at 4:50 pm (#)

Coffee glazed meatballs! I had heard of it before, but honestly, I just dismissed the concept, but these look delish! Definitely something for my to-try list.

9. Christine's Pantry posted on May 23, 2012 at 5:02 am (#)

This looks amazing.

10. firefoodie posted on May 24, 2012 at 11:05 pm (#)

Coffee meatballs?? well that got my attention, who’d have thought of it. I hope the tasted as good as they sound ;)

11. Nichole@DulceDelicious posted on June 2, 2012 at 1:28 am (#)

These sound awesome! I love anything with coffee but, I’ve definitely never tried it with a meatball! Yum!