Food Truck Friday: DC Shawarma

For the rest of the Spring/Summer my plan is to post a new food truck review (from the DC area) on Fridays. This week I picked DC Shawarma.

Let me just tell you . . . it was really, really good.  Better than any Middle Eastern cuisine I’ve had at a restaurant.  There was a long line, but in my opinion that’s how you know that’s the truck you want.

Also, they take credit cards, which is always awesome for someone like me who never has cash on hand. (This location is about a block from Union Station and about 15 trucks line up everyday at lunch time)

I ordered the Chicken Shawarma platter. Truthfully, I wanted the falafel but I thought, it’s called DC Shawarma, get the Shawarma!  (I’ve made that mistake before)

The platter came with chicken, rice, veggies, hummus, tabbouleh and some pita bread. Way more than I needed for lunch but I was happy to eat it all!

See that white stuff in the middle of my platter, that’s called Toum. I had to ask my co-worker what it was because I had never had it before. It’s kind of a garlic mayonnaise. It’s ridiculously good. (I mean, it’s mayo, so of course it’s good)

The tabbouleh (green stuff in the corner) was really good too, it cooled down all the garlic. The hummus was some of the best hummus I’ve ever had.

Usually bread makes everything taste even better —  but this stuff was so good you don’t even need the carbs. I highly recommend DC Shawarma. It was totally worth the bad garlic breath I had all day after lunch. You can find out where they will be each day here on the Washingtonian‘s Food Truck Tracker.

Next week I’m on a mission to find the Lobster Truck. If anyone has any other suggestions or requests let me know!

18 Responses to “Food Truck Friday: DC Shawarma”

1. Ali B posted on May 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm (#)

Ahh I love this! I went to school in DC but I graduated RIGHT before the food trucks started popping up. I’d love to see what other trucks you recommend so I can look out for them when I go down for a visit :)

2. Erica posted on May 18, 2012 at 4:41 pm (#)

Love this idea! I wish we had more gourmet food trucks like that in Toronto, especially when you’re bored of all your weekday lunch options!

3. Jams posted on May 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm (#)

If you ever get the chance, find the Surfside food truck and have the grilled fish tacos! AH-MAZ-ING! Complete with awesome guacamole (coming from someone who doesn’t usually like it) and LIME sour cream!

• Michelle O replied on May 18th, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I TOTALLY will. Lime sour cream??? Whoa. Yum. Thanks!

4. Sean Marie posted on May 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm (#)

Your photography is so great!

5. Krystle posted on May 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm (#)

Check out Takorean. The fusion of tacos and korean are great. Try the tofu tacos…yum.

• Michelle O replied on May 18th, 2012 at 8:07 pm

That’s funny you should say that because I actually had Takorean the other day and posted a photo on That’s so Michelle’s FB page. People were all about it and so I decided to do these Friday posts. It’s soooo good, I think I am going to do a full post on them just so I can eat it again :) Happy Friday!

6. Grubarazzi posted on May 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm (#)

Great! We have a few great food trucks in Baltimore too that I was thinking about trying… if I can only pull myself away for lunch!

7. adie (adiecakes) posted on May 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm (#)

I second trying Takorean! Also, do you follow the Lobster Truck on Facebook or Twitter? They post their location(s) every morning and keep you updated on how much longer they’ll be, line lengths and what they’re running out of! It’s pretty sweet!

You’ll also have to try Pepe (Jose Andres’ new truck) some time and write it up :) I work in DC but on the outskirts so it’s too far to find a truck for lunch! I’ve got to live vicariously through someone, and I’ve heard it’s *amazing*!

• Michelle O replied on May 18th, 2012 at 8:06 pm

O.M.G. Jose has a food truck? You just made my day! I am SO finding that. (I sound so DC cliche right now)

I’ve had Takorean actually. I posted about it on my facebook page and got such a great response that it’s actually why I decided to do these Friday posts. It’s DELISH.

I am going to track down the lobster truck for sure, I am following them on Twitter, but now… I may have to find Pepe first! Thanks Adie :)

8. Collections posted on May 19, 2012 at 2:59 am (#)

you had me at, “they take credit cards” yum.

Collections

9. Winnie posted on May 21, 2012 at 3:24 pm (#)

YUM! Takorean is amazing!

You must go to Truckeroo – it’s a monthly food truck festival from June to October (although it looks like they started early this year) right across from Navy Yard Metro. http://www.truckeroodc.com/www/

Also, this site has real time updates to where DC food trucks are! http://foodtruckfiesta.com/

10. Mo (New on U) posted on May 21, 2012 at 4:36 pm (#)

Ah! Working in Georgetown makes me have serious food truck envy! I will HAVE to make a special effort for Takorean sometime though – I’ve heard SUCH great things!

11. Anita at Hungry Couple posted on May 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm (#)

It looks amazing. I love that kind of food!

12. Laura posted on May 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm (#)

I personally love DC Empanadas and SOL! Looking forward to checking out more of your food truck reviews, and thanks for mentioning Washingtonian :)

13. Kim Bee posted on May 23, 2012 at 6:03 am (#)

So jealous. We don’t get food trucks here so this just makes me all kinds of jealous.

14. OnSugarMountain posted on May 23, 2012 at 7:55 pm (#)

What a wonderful idea for a blog post series. I am totally in love with the explosion of food trucks all over the country so this is right up my alley. I’ve never had shawarma but it looks to die for. Sadly I am nowhere near DC but I am enjoying with you in spirit. :D

Oh and a lobster truck?? I shall be back next week to read about that for sure!

15. Carleigh Swiger posted on May 28, 2012 at 12:47 am (#)

Hi Michelle,

You should check out Truckeroo…here is the link with the dates. http://www.truckeroodc.com/www/

I work 2 blocks from Union Station and I LOVE the food trucks! I went to a similar food truck event with my fiancee and we were told about truckeroo. We will definitely be going to at least one of the events this summer. just thought I would share that with you! :)

PS. DC Shawarma has the best sweet potato fries with garlic, cilantro, and lime!