Tzatziki Chicken Salad

Have I mentioned my love for Tzatziki sauce? I’m pretty sure I have. Tzatziki makes everything better.

I got this recipe from this months Cooking Light.  Remember my chicken salad extravaganza? This was part of that and also my Fiance’s favorite of all the chicken salads I made.

So I am trying my best to open up to you guys a little bit more lately.  It’s been very easy to hide behind photos of pretty food.

I plan to post some more photos of myself soon,  but today,  along with sharing a tasty greek chicken salad, I thought I could tell you five things about me that don’t have to do chips and dip.

1. I’m a natural red head, but I’ve been highlighting my hair blonde since highschool. I don’t really tan but I get a golden peach color. Red hair runs in my family and I’m crossing my fingers we don’t have a redheaded boy (But of course I will love him no matter what. Life can just be harder for redheaded boys, sorry but it’s true).

2. I wear leggings constantly. Leggings to the store, to the gym, in the house, even out at night if I can get away with it (with boots they can work!)

3. We change the lyrics of songs to incorporate the name of our dog (Honey) and or things she might say if she could talk and sing all the time. Most recently it’s Adele’s “Set Fire to the Rain” — we have changed it to “Set Fire to the Crate.” So silly.

4. I hate birds, they scare me. I was attacked by mocking birds when I was 14, (okay, okay attack is a strong word). They built a nest outside our front door and if you go near their babies they are extremely protective and will swoop down and hit you with their wings.

5. If I could live anywhere, I would move to New Orleans and live in the French Quarter. I’ve only been there once but it’s one of my favorite places. (Not during Marti Gras though, it’s not about the party scene for me, but the architecture, the food and the overall enviornment)

Tzatziki Chicken Salad (Recipe from Cooking Light)
2/3 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cucumber, seeded and shredded
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
3 ounces multigrain pita chips or tortilla chips

1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add chicken; toss to coat. Serve with pita chips or in a wrap.

17 Responses to “Tzatziki Chicken Salad”

1. Kiri W. posted on April 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm (#)

What an interesting twist on a chicken salad! I love tzaziki and this sounds wonderfully delicious :) Love the way you served it, too.

2. Mary Ellen @ Pâte à Chew posted on April 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm (#)

Yes, you’re right, tzatziki does make everything better :) As a Greek, I will slather it on everything except dessert! It’s perfect for making chicken salad, especially since I hate mayo. Great post!

3. Erica posted on April 10, 2012 at 3:46 pm (#)

Thanks for sharing these personal tid-bits! I LOVE red hair! It’s so unique and pretty. But, unfortunately, you’re right – there are a lot of people that are bigoted toward red-haired people. It’s ridiculous!
    I live in (and grew up in) Toronto, a big, multi-cultural city. Growing up, there were so many people of different ethnicities (many of them new immigrants), that I never even heard the term “ginger” until I went to university in another, smaller town. It’s a term that white people use to discriminate against other white people, when there is no one else to discriminate against. I think it’s sad and pathetic!
    Be proud of your red hair, and if you have a child with red hair teach them to be proud too!

(P.S. I got an error message the first time I hit publish, so I apologize if you get the same comment twice from me.)

4. Michelle O posted on April 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm (#)

Youre right and I will Erica — Thanks for your message :) I am proud of my red hair, as I tell people I’m a red head … I just prefer myself as a blonde.

5. Mother Rimmy posted on April 10, 2012 at 5:00 pm (#)

What a terrific idea for leftover chicken and would make light lunch.

6. Made in Sonoma posted on April 10, 2012 at 5:17 pm (#)

I loved learning more about you! :) Also, I’m going to have to make that chicken salad!

7. Sabrina posted on April 10, 2012 at 5:52 pm (#)

Oh I just love tzatziki!

8. Mo (New on U) posted on April 10, 2012 at 8:01 pm (#)

Meant to say this in my email, but I’m making this tonight :)

9. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted on April 10, 2012 at 8:24 pm (#)

TZATZIKI is my JAM. I can’t spell it to save my life but I love it!!

10. Michelle O posted on April 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm (#)

I can’t spell it either — I have to look back and check how I did the first time every time I re write it. haha

11. Laura | A Healthy Jalapeño posted on April 10, 2012 at 10:17 pm (#)

OMG this looks amazing! I loooooove tzatziki and mixed with chicken salad, how can that not be the best. PS: Seriously you pictures are amazing and you have the perfect lighting… I really have to work on that somehow in my 2×4 dark condo. lol

12. Tracy @ Pale Yellow posted on April 11, 2012 at 2:29 am (#)

I eat store-bought tzatziki everyday for lunch with carrots and I still want to try this recipe for dinner! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

13. fromcupcakestocaviar@gmail.com posted on April 11, 2012 at 2:58 am (#)

I can definitely see tzatziki making chicken salad even more yummy. This looks awesome, Michelle.

Thank you for sharing… it’s always nice to get info about the people behind the posts :-)

14. Anita at Hungry Couple posted on April 11, 2012 at 4:43 am (#)

This comment has been removed by the author.

15. Anita at Hungry Couple posted on April 11, 2012 at 4:44 am (#)

It’s nice getting to know you a little better, Michelle. I also love tzatziki and make a great low fat version of it. Rather than put the chicken into it as a salad, I make grilled chicken sandwiches and slather the tzatziki on both slices of bread. It happens to be our favorite sandwich to pack for road trips with our doggie. :)

16. Sean Marie posted on April 12, 2012 at 5:29 pm (#)

I love the fun facts about you! Didn’t know you’re a natural redhead.

17. April posted on April 12, 2012 at 5:33 pm (#)

I hate mayo but love chicken salad, perfect way to avoid that..plus Tzatziki is good on everythinggg!!! Thanks for sharing!