My First French Macarons

If you follow me on Facebook or Pinterest or if you are a close friend or family member, you already know that I planned to make French macarons for the first time today.  (I  can’t stop saying  “Macaron”  in a French accent)

Well . . . here they are, raspberry and lemon butter cream.

So . . . do you see that little crack in the bottom?   Well, that’s because my  macaron   is basically hollow.

They are also too flat, too large, and of the 36 I had planned to make only 6 didn’t break.

Le Sigh.

Looks like I won’t be bringing these to our Easter Sunday celebration after all.  Back to kitchen I go.  French macarons take two, coming soon.

22 Responses to “My First French Macarons”

1. Sabrina posted on April 7, 2012 at 12:01 am (#)

I think the cracks have a certain charm to it. Reminds me of similar cookies (are they even called “cookies”?) they sell over here at a Dutch coffee shop. They look delicious!

2. Dale Janeé posted on April 7, 2012 at 12:03 am (#)

OMG these look so good and I love that you made them, even if not all of them turned out perfect! Great post

xoDale

3. Stacy Marie posted on April 7, 2012 at 12:04 am (#)

Oooooooh…I feel your kitchen conundrum. I am AFRAID to make macaroons, but much like you I WILL tackle them one day. They are quite lovely and I do agree with Sabrina that they do have a certain charm. Keep on bakin’!

• Michelle O replied on April 7th, 2012 at 12:33 am

Let me know if you try them! We can trouble shoot together :)

4. Sarah Toasty posted on April 7, 2012 at 1:04 am (#)

you have the feet, so resting went well! maybe your eggs whites were a little too whipped? I think that would create the empty cookies… at least that’s what happened when i used egg whites you could hold over your head whipped for meringues

• Michelle O replied on April 7th, 2012 at 2:09 am

That could be it. I was afraid they were under whipped so I may have over done it. I thought the peaks aren’t suppose to bend in shape at all, totally stiff?

5. ChinkyGirLMeL posted on April 7, 2012 at 1:42 am (#)

I have yet to try making french macaroons. I have heard how hard it is to perfect these. But I do plan on giving it a try soon. =)

6. Madeleine posted on April 7, 2012 at 3:53 am (#)

i failed quite a few times until i bought this book – its so perfectly precise and descriptive and i FINALLY made a few great batches!!!
    book here: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=macaron+book&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=boN&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=675&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4495059870767639064&sa=X&ei=url_T5qiI6250QHZm5X-Bw&ved=0CGEQ8wIwAA (im not endorsing it or anything, it just seriously helped me!!) it also really helps to have an electric oven, not a gas oven.
    here’s one of my posts about them: http://whatabigtodo.blogspot.com/2010/03/parisian-macaron-obsession-strengthens.html

Good luck next time – yours are still adorable!!!!

7. Made in Sonoma posted on April 7, 2012 at 3:06 pm (#)

At least you attempted them and that’s what counts, right?

8. LL550 posted on April 7, 2012 at 8:38 pm (#)

I’m sad to hear your macaroons didn’t work out, but at least they look delightful! Can’t wait for the recipe when you figure it out!!

9. Collections posted on April 7, 2012 at 11:06 pm (#)

They still look delicious! I can’t wait to see the second try.

Collections

10. Leanne posted on April 8, 2012 at 6:06 pm (#)

Don’t give up– yours look beautiful!! I’ve heard macaroons are incredibly difficult to make, and this first attempt is pretty show-stopping. Can’t wait to see the second try!

11. Randilea @ Life As I Bake It posted on April 9, 2012 at 2:12 am (#)

I tried and failed as well. Oh well I will try again soon! I am determined to get these right :(

12. Kait Lun posted on April 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm (#)

Don’t be so hard on yourself! I still think they are stunning, crack and all :) it is definitely better than any macaroon I could make!

13. Kiri W. posted on April 9, 2012 at 3:38 pm (#)

Wow, they look fantastic! Good job on your first attempt :) And what a great flavor combo!

14. Tina posted on April 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm (#)

Kudos to you for even attempting these! I would have never known they were hollow if you had not advised so. This is one of those things going into that it takes some time to perfect. Interested to see you progress on creating these!

15. Beth @ Good To Be The Cook posted on April 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm (#)

I’ll be trying to make these soon too!

16. OnSugarMountain posted on April 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm (#)

Hey don’t sigh! My first macarons were just plain old flat and wouldn’t even come off the silicone mat I baked them on! These are still adorable and if they still make for good eating then all is not lost :D

17. jennyshea posted on April 16, 2012 at 11:46 pm (#)

Right there with you on the “dress of your dreams” sigh. I ended up with one that was something I didn’t think I loved when I started out. I too am trying to bust my buns and drop weight to make the dress even better.

18. Anonymous posted on May 3, 2012 at 8:54 pm (#)

NOT trying to be a buzzkill but I am pretty sure the French thing is “macarons” [mac-ah-r-own] and the one with coconut and chocolate is “macaroons” [mac-a-roon] :)
    They all look delicious

19. Paula posted on June 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm (#)

They are beautiful! What recipe did you use? I may give these a shot.

20. Christine posted on June 15, 2012 at 7:27 am (#)

Yours doesn’t look that bad. Making macaroons is not easy! It has high chance of failure. I plan to try making macaroons before I give birth in September.