Meringue Swirls

Have you seen these on the cover of this months Martha Stewart Living?

If you don’t recognize them it’s because mine are a little flatter (much flatter) than Martha’s, but I still think they are pretty.

They started out perfect (note the spoons still on the corner of my parchment), but fell flat because I didn’t have cream of tartar at home and tried to use lemon juice as a substitute. Don’t forget the cream of tartar.

They kind of look like little seashells.  Brightly colored, delicious sea shells.

I used a touch of orange extract in mine to bump up the orange creamcicle flavor. They are crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside and the orange flavoring was a perfect compliment.

When I read the directions I thought mastering the swirl would be difficult but it wasn’t at all. I will try these again, but with cream of tartar so they stay fluffy.

Martha also has a really helpful recipe video here.

Meringue Swirls (From Martha Stewart, makes two dozen)
3 large egg whites, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
Large pinch of salt
Large pinch of cream of tartar
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
Gel-paste food coloring, in any color
1 teaspoon orange extract (optional )

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Combine egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl. Add vanilla bean seeds. Set bowl over a pot of simmering water, and stir until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm, about 3 minutes. Add salt and cream of tartar.

Beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form and meringue is mostly cooled, about 7 minutes. Beat in zest.

Using a small paintbrush, paint 3 vertical stripes of food coloring inside a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip (Ateco #805). Fill bag with meringue, and pipe 1 3/4-inch circular shapes (they don’t need to be perfect rounds) 2 inches apart on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. As you finish piping each shape, apply less pressure to pastry bag, and swirl the tip off in a circular motion.

4. Bake meringues until crisp on the outside but still soft inside, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.

21 Responses to “Meringue Swirls”

1. Steph posted on April 25, 2012 at 4:31 pm (#)

These look so fun!! And meringue cookies are to die for!

2. Anonymous posted on April 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm (#)

Hey if you don’t keep Cream of Tartar in the house, how can you ever make
    Snicker Doodles when your Mom has a cinnamon craving ?

NOTE: Bridal Shower gift Idea for Michelle – Spices – especially Cinnamon,
    AND Cream of Tartar !

:0 D
    PCWildflower

• Michelle O replied on April 25th, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Haha thanks Mom! I actually don’t know how I don’t have it. I have EVER OTHER SPICE KNOWN TO MAN. But no darn cream of tartar :) I will be getting some.

3. Liz posted on April 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm (#)

These look amazing!!! :)

4. Kiri W. posted on April 25, 2012 at 7:31 pm (#)

Thee are so pretty! My meringues never keep shape, so the swirl would probably just be a blotch, haha.

5. Anita at Hungry Couple posted on April 25, 2012 at 7:50 pm (#)

Even though they’re not perfect, they’re still quite pretty. And now you have an excuse to make them again. :)

6. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on April 25, 2012 at 9:42 pm (#)

So pretty! Love the colors.

7. Lo-mo posted on April 25, 2012 at 9:49 pm (#)

They do look gorgeous!!

8. Shri posted on April 25, 2012 at 11:03 pm (#)

Oh My! Are they not adorable!

9. Leslie posted on April 26, 2012 at 1:43 pm (#)

I saw these on Martha Stewart this month! Yours look so pretty!

10. The French Tangerine posted on April 26, 2012 at 10:58 pm (#)

LOVED this issue of Martha Stewart Living. Just googled the meringue swirls and found you! Aren’t they fantastic? I’m not even sure I like meringue, the point is they are orange and they are adorable.
    Jan

11. Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out posted on April 27, 2012 at 12:04 am (#)

These are SO pretty! It makes me want to try this immediately with every kind of citrus zest and just make a little summery citrus meringue party out of them!

12. Jessica posted on April 27, 2012 at 12:30 am (#)

Hi Michelle! I just came across your blog and oh my god, you make beautiful food and treats! Love it. These are especially gorgeous. It’s perfect for the spring and summer seasons.

13. Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl posted on April 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm (#)

These look amazing! If I wasn’t going out of town today I would be making these tonight! I have to try making these soon!

14. Mary posted on April 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm (#)

These really sound delicious and they certainly are gorgeous to look at. I am new to your blog, so I’ve spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I’m so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I’ll definitely be back.I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

15. Megan Nadalet posted on May 5, 2012 at 12:08 am (#)

Very cute! Those have been on my to do list for quite some time — ever since I got the magazine, probably!

16. Cerissa Beveridge posted on May 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm (#)

Where did you get your vanilla bean seeds? I can not find them!

Cerbev at gmail dot com

17. Cerissa Beveridge posted on May 6, 2012 at 7:16 pm (#)

Where did you get your vanilla bean seeds? I can not find them!

Cerbev at gmail dot com

18. Cerissa Beveridge posted on May 6, 2012 at 7:16 pm (#)

Where did you get your vanilla bean seeds? I can not find them!

Cerbev at gmail dot com

19. Cerissa Beveridge posted on May 6, 2012 at 7:16 pm (#)

Where did you get your vanilla bean seeds? I can not find them!

Cerbev at gmail dot com

20. Anonymous posted on September 5, 2012 at 9:36 pm (#)

Those are very pretty!
    I don’t trust Martha’s recipes usually. There’s been too many fubars over the years.
    She had a meringue “bones” recipes in one of her Halloween issues many years ago where they left out the cream of tarter. I had never done meringue before and they deflated. Called my Mom and we figured out what was wrong. Made ‘em again. Arghh.