Delicious Failure (French Macarons Take Two)

So, my second attempt at French macarons is even less aesthetically pleasing than my first.  Bummer.  My strawberry filling is too runny, they are once again hollow (frustrating) and I just barely got my macaron “feet.”

But can I just say … oh my gosh  they are still delicious!

Here was my photo taking process:  “Oh no,  this one is too runny,  I’ll just eat it (chomp) this one too (chomp),”  and before I knew it I had eaten like five.  Major diet buster.

The baking process started out well, I had perfect little mini circles and I made way less of a mess in the kitchen than the first time.  I even got a digital scale  (see how seriously I am taking this!)

And then . . . damn you Martha Stewart Wrap Foil and Parchment in 1!  I literally screamed.

I fixed my next batch with heavy metal spoons on the ends of the parchment, but it looks like I will not be using this stuff again.  What’s the point of parchment if you can’t make cookies with it Martha?

Some came out perfectly but several cracked. I resolved the situation by eating them before anyone could see.

My fiance asked me how many times I was going to keep trying to perfect these. I suppose I’m just obsessed enough at this point to keep trying until I get it right.

BTW these were raspberry cookies with strawberry filling. I had planned to call them Very Berry French Macarons, until they were renamed Delicious Failure.

19 Responses to “Delicious Failure (French Macarons Take Two)”

1. The Mom Chef posted on April 17, 2012 at 3:10 pm (#)

I think they look amazing and I love the fact that you’ve got two berries going there. I’ve never even stepped up to the plate to attempt macaroons. Kudos to you.

FYI, I read somewhere that you can solve the parchment rolling up thing by putting little fridge magnets on the corner of the parchment on the cookie sheets.

• Michelle O replied on April 17th, 2012 at 3:11 pm

OMG brilliant idea! Thank you, I will try that. So smart. :)

2. Dott posted on April 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm (#)

They look really pretty and you always have the best manicure! :)

• Michelle O replied on April 17th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Thanks Dott, I try to keep them up myself. It’s a pain in the butt, but important I think.

3. Made in Sonoma posted on April 17, 2012 at 3:51 pm (#)

Also, investing in a silpat would be helpful! I love the name of these. haha.

• Michelle O replied on April 17th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Youre totally right. I’ve asked for some on my wedding registry but I think I might just go ahead and buy some this weekend.

4. Steph posted on April 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm (#)

Pink!! These are gorgeous! I wish i could muster up the courage to make some ‘roons!

5. Anita at Hungry Couple posted on April 17, 2012 at 4:14 pm (#)

I realize they’re not as perfect as you hoped but I think they look damn good! I love the berry “seeds” that show up on the macaroons and a little runny filling doesn’t bother me. I just use regular parchment paper to bake and it doesn’t roll up but I would send Martha a nasty note about this, complete with photo evidence! :)

6. Anonymous posted on April 17, 2012 at 4:37 pm (#)

Hi Michelle! I was having similar problems with macarons until I read somewhere that if the little peaks that show up when you pipe don’t reabsorb and blend into the macs, the batter is under-beaten and the macs will crack. It took me four batches to figure this out! Hope this helps! They still looks tasty, by the way :)

7. Nurşen Aksoy posted on April 17, 2012 at 4:47 pm (#)

Helloo..Macarons look amazing..Iwant to eat them..

8. JMB posted on April 17, 2012 at 5:09 pm (#)

I’m getting very tempted to try making these now. I love a good baking challenge. Still, they look delicious, but I know I can be hard on myself for I deem as a failure too!

9. Christina Marie posted on April 17, 2012 at 6:21 pm (#)

Wow, these look incredible. I’ll take a colorful French Macaroon any day over a Coconut Macaroon. :)

Christina

• Gary replied on April 17th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I saw Martha herself solve the parchment problem by putting little dots of dough on the corners of the pan so the parchment paper would stick to them and not roll up. It’s in the Martha and Rachel Maddow make Croquembouche video on the page at this link.

10. Kiri W. posted on April 18, 2012 at 1:42 am (#)

Looks better than anything I could ever produce! And the flavors sound utterly fantastic. Don’t give up!

11. AlishaHB posted on April 18, 2012 at 3:02 am (#)

Helene Dujardin, who I consider to be THE expert on macrons, has said that you need to “break the meringue down a little bit otherwise you end up with cracked puffy cookies…”.

12. Wendy posted on April 18, 2012 at 4:42 am (#)

Failure has never looked so delicious.

13. danielle posted on April 18, 2012 at 11:04 pm (#)

those look absolutely adorable hardly a failure!

14. Carleigh posted on April 19, 2012 at 2:19 am (#)

HA! I have so been at the place where I have literally screamed at an inanimate object in my kitchen….keep trying, they really do look yummy!!

15. Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out posted on April 27, 2012 at 12:11 am (#)

Well eff. I have been terrified to try macarons (because, let’s face it, failure frustrates me), so maybe reading this post wasn’t the best idea…but then again, I can totally understand your “oh gee, this one is ugly, I better eat it before anyone else sees…” philosophy. So maybe it is good to know I’m not the only one. =)