Sweet and Spicy Coconut Chicken Bites

I’ve been drooling over coconut crusted chicken on Pinterest for a really long time now.  Has anyone seen this photo? Yum.

I finally got around to trying out my own version last weekend. Since then, we have had coconut chicken for dinner every night this week! I added a sprinkle of cayenne into the panko and sweetened coconut flakes for a little kick.

Although this photographed recipe is lightly fried (in coconut oil for extra flavor) you can also bake it.

I baked it in a lightly greased pan for about 15 minutes (turning the bites over once) at 400 degrees and they were still delish.

My love of everything avocado, coconut and brussels sprouts has really taken over the kitchen lately.

But this weekend I plan to branch out a little and take some time to admire the cherry blossoms that will hit their peak bloom in DC today or tomorrow (and hopefully inspire some new recipes).

I’m thinking dark chocolate cherry smoothies and sweet cherry and goat cheese crostinis. Sound good?

Shopping List (serves 2 to 4)
Package of 2 chicken breasts or several tenders
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 cup cocnut milk (or regular cream)
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 sprinkle cayenne pepper
Salt
1/4 cup coconut oil

Honey Chili Sauce
2 tablespoons light mayo
2 tablespoons Franks Sweet and Spicy Chili sauce or Siracha
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon rice vinegar

1. Place coconut flakes and panko together on a deep plate. Sprinkle on small dash of cayenne pepper.

2. Trim chicken to bite sized pieces and place in coconut milk or cream in a small bowl.

3. Take chicken bites out of coconut milk and coat with coconut flakes and panko. Press lightly to make sure coconut sticks and add a dash of salt to each bite.

4. Heat coconut oil on medium heath in large frying pan. Turn until all sides have browned. Serve with Honey Chili Sauce or plain honey. .

18 Responses to “Sweet and Spicy Coconut Chicken Bites”

1. Liz posted on March 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm (#)

Those look amazing! You’ve made me hungry again! :)

2. Steph posted on March 21, 2012 at 3:33 pm (#)

I love scouring Pinterest for dinner ideas and this one looks incredible! So adding this to next week’s menu!

3. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel posted on March 21, 2012 at 5:52 pm (#)

I’m totally drooling over this. Looks fantastic :)

4. Gabriella posted on March 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm (#)

I agree with Steph, I must add this to my menu next week. These look delicious!

Gabriella

5. Christina Marie posted on March 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm (#)

I can taste the coconut now… mmm

Christina

6. Heidi {Young Grasshopper} posted on March 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm (#)

OH I cannot WAIT to try those!!! Thanks <3

7. Gerry @Foodness Gracious posted on March 21, 2012 at 7:25 pm (#)

Looks awesome! I’ve never had coconut chicken only shrimp. Maybe you could do your avocados like this too? I baked some with panko recently and they were tasty!
    Thanks..

8. Kiri W. posted on March 21, 2012 at 8:12 pm (#)

Oh man, I can’t even decide whether I am drooling more over those coconut encrusted bites or the sauce! Looks like an amazing recipe :)

9. Peggy posted on March 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm (#)

What a great idea! You always see coconut encrusted shrimp and stuff – but never chicken! Love it =)

10. Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny posted on March 22, 2012 at 12:40 am (#)

Mmm these look SO delicious, I LOVE coconut shrimp so why not chicken?! :)

11. Sweet and Salty SF posted on March 22, 2012 at 3:21 am (#)

I just made coconut shrimp the other day and this recipe looks wonderful for the leftover coconut I still have in the pantry! Thanks for the inspiration!

12. Wendy posted on March 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm (#)

These look like little morsels from heaven! Can’t wait what you come up with after viewing the cherry blossom trees. :)

13. adiecakes posted on March 22, 2012 at 5:03 pm (#)

This looks so good! Where do you find your coconut oil? I looked at Giant (long shot) and Whole Foods and couldn’t find it (I made the bang bang cauliflower a couple weeks ago). I’m in the DC area too so I have the same stores available!

Also, super excited for the Cherry Blossoms! I pass the Japanese Embassy every day and it’s just so gorgeous this week lined with all those trees in full bloom :)

14. Anonymous posted on March 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm (#)

My Whole Foods had it and I live in the Tysons Corner area.

15. Deelicious Sweets posted on March 23, 2012 at 10:51 pm (#)

These look so yummy. I especially love the sauce!

16. Kelly posted on March 25, 2012 at 4:18 pm (#)

YES. This is happening my house. Bringing Pinterest to life!

17. Hester aka The Chef Doc posted on March 27, 2012 at 4:25 pm (#)

Ooh, I’m so going to make some of these! Thanks for sharing, Michelle! I hope the cherry blossoms were beautiful. That’s one of the things I’m envious of from people who live in DC :-)

18. Whitney posted on June 5, 2012 at 1:01 am (#)

These…were…AMAZING. I baked them as you suggested, then stuck them under the broiler to get that crispy coating. OMG. Best meal I have made in a while. Thank you!!!