Fresh Avocado Cream Pasta Sauce

When I was in college I worked at a daycare part time and there was a little boy there named Grant.  Grant was 4 years old and had the cutest lisp ever.  He couldn’t say avocado.  It came out like av-o-ta-do.

I thought it was so cute I would tickle him until he would say it for me “okay, okay,  av-o-ta-do!

Only semi related to this recipe post, I know,  but still adorable. Every time I make something with avocados I think of little Grant.

Up until a few weeks ago I had only sliced avocados and put them on burgers or made salads or guacamole.

But then came this …

… and now I’m in love with this cream sauce.

I saw this recipe on a blog called Oh She Glows.  Angela has hundreds of vegan and vegetarian recipes, and while I love my meat, she sure does know how to make her lifestyle sound tempting.

I don’t think I will ever make an alfredo sauce again. So not necessary.

Shopping List  (Serves two, original recipe from Oh She Glows)
Half a box of whole wheat thin spaghetti or pasta of choice
1/2 lemon
1 avocado
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 garlic cloves
1 bunch of parsley (or herb of choice, Angela used basil) *optional
Salt and Pepper

1. Bring salted water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add in the pitted avocado, herbs, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.

3. When pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse in a strainer and place pasta into a large bowl. Pour on sauce and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

Serve immediately.  Dish does not reheat well due to the avocado in the sauce.

19 Responses to “Fresh Avocado Cream Pasta Sauce”

1. Made in Sonoma posted on March 18, 2012 at 10:21 pm (#)

Aww…cute story about Grant.

Your picture is beautiful. I’ve made this before but I think I used too much lemon.

2. Christina Marie posted on March 18, 2012 at 11:03 pm (#)

Wow this looks way better than any alfredo sauce! And I’m obsessed with avocados. I would love to try this and compare. Have you ever heard of an avocado smoothy? I’ve been wanting to try that, too. :)

Christina

• Joanna replied on March 19th, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Avocado smoothies are actually really yummy! Nice and creamy. I found mine on allrecipes.com and you can modify any way you like (add vanilla, yogurt, etc)Good and good for you! You can also use avocado to make chocolate chip cookies. Use it in place of oil.

3. Lori Lynn posted on March 18, 2012 at 11:19 pm (#)

Hi Michelle – we are on the same avocado wavelength. Saw your dish on Pinterest. Looks fabulous.
    LL

4. Anonymous posted on March 19, 2012 at 1:53 am (#)

That’s so funny–I just saw this on Oh She Glows, and made it tonight! Mine was too garlicky, but I LOVE the idea. I’ll definitely keep trying until I get it right. Yours looks delicious! Alfredo is officially obsolete.

5. Alyssa posted on March 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm (#)

I’ve heard of Avacado sauces before for pasta, but it seemed strange to me. That is until recently when I tried Avacado juice (yes, it’s popular in the Middle East) and although I didn’t love the juice, I could see how the creamy avacado would work for pasta. Great recipe, I’ll save this for my avacado-loving husband!

6. Kristi Cheney posted on March 19, 2012 at 1:44 pm (#)

How much olive oil goes in recipe? I don’t see it listed as an ingredient, but it is on the directions.

• Michelle O replied on March 19th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Oops! Thanks for catching that. It’s 2 tablespoons. Just added it :)

7. Kiri W. posted on March 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm (#)

Oooh, this sounds like such a perfect way to get a creamy sauce that’s good for you :) Wonderful!
    And avotado sounds like an adorable story ;)

8. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted on March 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm (#)

YUMM!!!! I used cream in mine but this looks fab!!

9. Mary posted on March 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm (#)

What a lovely recipe. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took sometime to browse through your earlier posts. I’m so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

10. Collections posted on March 20, 2012 at 12:48 pm (#)

Yum, yum, yum.

Collections

11. Anonymous posted on March 27, 2012 at 11:18 pm (#)

Just made this! Not for the garlic faint of heart. So refreshing, and will probably be my go-to recipe this summer. Must confess that added some bacon and parmesan cheese…

12. Molly Murkett posted on April 26, 2012 at 1:42 am (#)

I added extra garlic and doubled the recipe- came out great! Definitely still tasting garlic now, but had a great flavor and was very satisfying on whole wheat pasta. Fed to a vegetarian and former vegetarian who both loved it, but I feel like some more carnivorous people would have a hard time eating or liking this.

13. Anonymous posted on May 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm (#)

If i don’t have a food processor what could I use? I really want to try this recipe.

14. Anonymous posted on May 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm (#)

i just made this and its delicious, however im watching my carbs… so no pasta for me :(. if your also watching carbs try spaghetti squash, its an amazing alternative to pasta… looks, taste and texture!

15. catering new york posted on May 31, 2012 at 6:02 am (#)

This is a really great recipe, I think that this will taste very refreshing. Thanks.

16. Kim Ragan posted on July 9, 2012 at 11:05 pm (#)

This turned out great! I put it on my meal planning blog to share! So easy and yummy, thanks.

17. Andrea Newland posted on February 25, 2013 at 12:26 am (#)

Very good, but I think I’ll use more olive oil and less lemon next time, 1/2 of one may be a bit too much for my taste buds…added lots of pepper and a bit of chicken too ;)