Strawberry Fruit Roll Up Cupcakes

I guess I was channeling my inner child this weekend.  (Remember this?)

Pink and purple … Fruit roll ups… Frosting and hearts.  All that’s missing is a My Little Pony and some Care Bears.

Really though, I was trying to make do with what I already had in the pantry. Does anyone else have a pantry full of left over chocolate chips, sprinkles, and coconut flakes? Mine is over flowing.

My goal this month (with the exception of some jello shots I have planned for up coming events) is to not buy any new decorative or boxed baked goods.

You really are forced to be creative when you can’t run to the store to buy something new!

Shopping List (makes 18-20 cupcakes)
1 box strawberry cake mix
1/3 cup coconut oil
3 eggs
1 1/3 Cups Water
2, 8 oz packages of cream cheese (room temperature)
Confectioners sugar to taste (about 1 or 2 cups)
2 fruit roll ups
3 heart shaped cookie cutter

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cake mix, eggs, water, and coconut oil with an electric mixer or whisk until combined. Fill a muffin/cupcake tray with cupcake liners then fill 1/3 of each liner with mix. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick test works. Let cool completely.

2. In a large bowl add your cream cheese and sugar. Mix until combined and until you achieve desired sweetness.

3. After cupcakes are cooled, top them with the cream cheese frosting and heart shaped fruit roll up cut outs.

23 Responses to “Strawberry Fruit Roll Up Cupcakes”

1. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted on February 6, 2012 at 9:08 pm (#)

OH MY GOSHHHHHH These are so cute :)

2. Emily posted on February 6, 2012 at 9:25 pm (#)

Cute idea!!

3. RavieNomNoms posted on February 6, 2012 at 9:37 pm (#)

Such a cute idea!! Great treat for the upcoming holiday!

4. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on February 6, 2012 at 9:50 pm (#)

These look so yummy and I love the fruit roll up hearts!

5. Jenny @ Savour the Senses posted on February 6, 2012 at 10:51 pm (#)

I love fruit roll ups and fruity desserts these sound like the perfect cupcake for me!

6. Sarah posted on February 6, 2012 at 10:55 pm (#)

Too cute! Love these!

7. Kristina posted on February 6, 2012 at 11:01 pm (#)

These are adorable! I love the fruit roll up hearts! Super cute idea :)

8. Ericka Andersen posted on February 7, 2012 at 12:27 am (#)

You are making me crave strawberry flavored things. Hmmm, next up on my ist will be strawberry I believe! :)

9. Happy When Not Hungry posted on February 7, 2012 at 12:57 am (#)

Cute cupcakes! I haven’t had a fruit roll up in forever. These look delicious!

10. Kiri W. posted on February 7, 2012 at 12:59 am (#)

Ehat an adorable ides! :) Very cute.

11. Alyssa posted on February 7, 2012 at 7:47 am (#)

Very cute cupcakes! I always try to bake with what I have on hand, but the results are usually not as I hoped they would be. Those look very “care bear-ish!”

12. Kim Bee posted on February 8, 2012 at 5:10 am (#)

This are so adorable. What a fabulous idea. Congrats on top 9!

13. Becky posted on February 8, 2012 at 11:26 am (#)

Such a cute idea to use the fruit roll ups. i just happen to have leftover fruit roll ups in the pantry from scarves for marshmallow snowmen. Re-purpose and re-use!

Congrats on the top 9 today!

14. Free Spirit Eater posted on February 8, 2012 at 4:16 pm (#)

These are so cute! Never thought to use fruit roll ups as a decoration, love it! Just made a fresh batch of fruit leather last night, great use for them. Thanks for sharing, congratulations on Top 9! Buzzed ya =]

15. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes posted on February 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm (#)

Adorable, Michelle!

I channel my inner child whenever I can and often end up wearing leg warmers and wondering where my Cabbage Patch is.

Congrats on Top 9!! :)

16. Daisy@Nevertoosweet posted on February 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm (#)

These are so simple and cute :) I’m always channel my inner child and give myself excuses to do immature things :P

17. Sweet and Salty SF posted on February 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm (#)

Haha, I lovveeed fruit roll ups and would beg my dad to put these in my lunchbox! What a great idea you had! Thanks for bringing back some childhood memories!

18. Lacy @ NYCityEats posted on February 8, 2012 at 8:52 pm (#)

Adorable! Very creative for the fruit roll up! I was such a huge fan of fruit roll ups but instead of eating them like normal or pealing out the cool cutouts I’d roll mine into a ball and eat it like it was a big gummy. Ha, what was wrong with me!

19. Ally posted on February 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm (#)

I was crazy about fruit roll ups back in the day! I love the idea of using them as topping & decoration… fab job!
    xo

20. Liam @ Is Butter a Carb? posted on February 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm (#)

CUTE!

I <3 Carebears.

I want to be a carebear. True Story.

21. Chris Onthego posted on February 12, 2012 at 11:59 pm (#)

Here are mine!

Yours are really nice!

22. scott scott posted on February 14, 2012 at 9:04 pm (#)

very pretty