Bang Bang Cauliflower

I tested this recipe out last week and after each bite we just kept saying “Oh wow, this is soooo good!”  I even said  “I need to have people over and make this, or make it for your parents!”

That’s how you know it’s a keeper.

I got the idea from Bone Fish Grill’s famous bang bang shrimp.  It’s one of the best things I’ve ever eaten,  if you’ve had it,  you know what I’m talking about.

Spicy, delicious and totally addicting.  I don’t even order a main course there…  just the bang bang shrimp please.

I’ve been wanting to try this recipe out for awhile, but with my recent cauliflower obsession I figured why not try it with my favorite veggie instead?

I am so glad I did. Who needs shrimp? (okay I take that back, but this is a damn good alternative).

UPDATE: Check out my “lightened up” version of this recipe here

Print Recipe

• Salt & pepper
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • Green onion
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil

Sauce

• 1/4 cup lite mayo
  • 1/4 cup Franks Red Hot Sweet Chili Sauce or Siracha (add more or less depends on how hot you can handle it)
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar

Directions:

1. Slice your cauliflower florets. Mix salt, pepper and garlic powder into your Panko breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.

2. Set separate bowls aside with egg whites and cornstarch. Dip your florets one by one into the cornstarch, and shake off excess. Then dip into egg whites, and then coat with Panko mixture.

3. After coating all of your florets, warm up your coconut oil in a large frying pan and place all florets in hot oil. Turn with tongs making sure all sides are browned. Set on top of paper towels to remove excess oil. Top with more salt.

4. In a small bowl mix all of your sauce ingredients. Coat your breaded and pan fried florets with sauce, top with sprinkles of green onion and serve right away.

For featuring on your website please make sure to contact thatssomichelle@gmail.com

94 Responses to “Bang Bang Cauliflower”

1. Katherine posted on February 20, 2012 at 10:40 pm (#)

Oh my goodness YUM. I’ve been looking for good cauliflower recipes to try lately, this will definitely be up first! Thanks for sharing!

- Katherine

2. Made in Sonoma posted on February 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm (#)

That looks soooo good! I’ll have to try it!

3. Christine's Pantry posted on February 20, 2012 at 11:40 pm (#)

Loving this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

4. Suzi posted on February 21, 2012 at 12:06 am (#)

Wow I love this recipe, I want to try it. Me, I am going for the Siracha, love that heat.

5. Barbie Morrisey posted on February 21, 2012 at 12:29 am (#)

you totally need to add a pinit button for pintrest this would be very popular and so would you!!!

6. Kiri W. posted on February 21, 2012 at 12:39 am (#)

Wow, this looks amazing! :) Definitely goes on my bucket list!

7. Isabelle @ Crumb posted on February 21, 2012 at 12:42 am (#)

I’ve never tried Bang Bang Shrimp before, seeing as we don’t have Bone Fish Grill up here in Canada, but I’ve been drooling over them ever since I saw the recipe on another blog a while ago.
    Love this whole “healthy” version with cauliflower, though… forget shrimp, I’m making this! :)

8. Deelicious Sweets posted on February 21, 2012 at 2:43 am (#)

I am totally making this tomorrow! I received cauliflower in my produce delivery today and I was wondering what I was going to do with it. Now I know! Thanks for sharing and I’m looking forward to tomorrow nights dinner :) I’ll let you know when I blog it.

9. Alyssa posted on February 21, 2012 at 4:14 am (#)

I’m having a cauliflower obession too at the moment. I love this idea!

10. PolaM posted on February 21, 2012 at 5:18 am (#)

Oh these shrimp look good! I would say they look divine!

11. Medeja posted on February 21, 2012 at 8:40 am (#)

Sounds like a very delicious cauliflower dish! Lovely!

12. MyFudo™ posted on February 21, 2012 at 10:53 am (#)

Indeed this will be a great alternative…I am hypersensitive to shrimp. I am glad I stumbled upon this post! =)

13. Jenni posted on February 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm (#)

Oh how yummy this looks! On my list to make with my head of cauliflower I received yesterday!

14. Jamie@Thrifty Veggie Mama posted on February 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm (#)

This looks delicious! I love cauliflower. Congrats on the Buzz!

15. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts posted on February 21, 2012 at 6:13 pm (#)

Wonder if the hubby would get over his aversion to cauliflower for this? Looks insanely good!

16. stephsapron posted on February 21, 2012 at 7:00 pm (#)

So excited about this recipe! My boyfriend loves cauliflower, and I’m always looking for new and creative ways to cook with it. This recipe looks super easy, too. Thanks!

17. Lacy @ NYCityEats posted on February 21, 2012 at 9:28 pm (#)

Yum! I’ve always wanted to try making the delicious bang bang shrimp but I’m liking the cauliflower idea better! This sounds incredible and I’m totally into the sriracha sauce. The spicier the better!

18. The Culinary Lens posted on February 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm (#)

This is great I can’t wait to try it. I don’y know the Bone Fish Grill at all and need to explore.. Off to google LOL

19. Kristina posted on February 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm (#)

Yum!! I love this recipe! Such a good idea! and that sauce sounds amazing!

20. Anonymous posted on February 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm (#)

could you substitute veg. oil for coconut oil?

• Michelle O replied on February 22nd, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Absolutly! I just like the slight coconut flavor mixed with the spice.

21. Anonymous posted on February 22, 2012 at 4:42 pm (#)

do you pre cook the cauliflower first?

• Michelle O replied on February 22nd, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Nope. The temperature and consistancy is just right with only frying it.

22. Blog is the New Black posted on February 22, 2012 at 11:43 pm (#)

Found you via pinterest- great site! L) GREAT recipe!

23. Cake posted on February 23, 2012 at 2:13 am (#)

Loving this idea. I love cauliflower – great recipe!

24. Peggy posted on February 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm (#)

Oh I love bang bang shrimp! But I bet I would love this bang bang cauliflower even more =)

25. 15d7c8dc-5e4a-11e1-8ff8-000bcdcb5194 posted on February 23, 2012 at 6:13 pm (#)

anyone know if you can bake them instead?

• Michelle O replied on February 23rd, 2012 at 7:27 pm

You could bake them instead but I dont think you would get the same crunch.

26. Anonymous posted on February 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm (#)

Can you substitute another vinegar for rice vinegar? I don’t like buying ingredients that I probably won’t use again.

Thanks!

• Michelle O replied on February 23rd, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Hi there! Rice vinegar is a stample for a lot of asian foods, it’s great in this sauce because it’s very mild. You could use regular vinegar but I would only use 1 tablespoon and perhaps use water for the second tablespoon. :)

27. Allen posted on February 24, 2012 at 2:04 am (#)

I, too, have always loved the Bonefish Grill’s “Bang Bang Shrimp”. This looks like an amazing, and healthier, version that I can’t wait to make. Thanks, Allen.

28. Javelin Warrior posted on February 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm (#)

Michelle, I love the concept of doing this with cauliflower – and it looks delicious! I have featured this post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup. Let me know if you have any objections and thanks as ever for the inspiration…

29. Carole posted on February 26, 2012 at 10:31 pm (#)

This looks so fantastic. Great blog. Just happened on it when I was checking my sister’s blog. She is another Michelle. I am from New Zealand and blog on food amongst other things. You might be interested in this post about a bacon and asparagus salad http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/asparagus-bacon-salad.html. Will enjoy following your blog.

30. Anonymous posted on February 27, 2012 at 5:40 am (#)

This was amazing!

31. EDI VAN posted on February 27, 2012 at 9:30 am (#)

One of the factors that slow the performance of the computer is disk fragmentation. When files are fragmented, the computer must search the hard disk when the file is opened to piece it back together. To speed up the response time, you should monthly run Disk Defragmenter, a Windows utility that defrags and consolidates fragmented files for quicker computer response.EDI

32. POS Software posted on February 27, 2012 at 2:47 pm (#)

As the cost of the software is so high, so that the medium standard people are not able to use it in their office or industry to get more advantage. The cost of the software include the maintenance so that within a perod of time if that software shows any problem then the software developer team will repair it without cost. Also due to the high cost of the software most of the or student always trying to use the free version of that software and not able to get the real benefit of that software.Restaurant Software

33. Grubarazzi posted on February 27, 2012 at 6:09 pm (#)

This is amazing! I am DEFINITELY going to make this. Very very cool recipe.

34. Kelly posted on February 28, 2012 at 6:27 pm (#)

I look forward to trying this! Yay for Cauliflower!

35. Friday Delights posted on February 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm (#)

I’m making this tonight…Looks so yummy!!

36. mama2boys posted on March 1, 2012 at 2:43 am (#)

I just saw this on Pinterest, and I can’t wait to make this. I’m on this whole “I’m a vegetarian now” kick, and this will be PERFECT. I may even have to blog about it when I’m done stuffing my face. ;)

37. Anonymous posted on March 1, 2012 at 4:14 am (#)

Yummy!!!!

38. Friday Delights posted on March 1, 2012 at 3:09 pm (#)

OMG…tried it and it was delicious!!!

39. Flight Training posted on March 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm (#)

This is definitely going on my dinner menu next week! I love the Bang Bang Shrimp, but as a new vegetarian, I am totally down with the use of cauliflower!!

40. Anonymous posted on March 2, 2012 at 12:28 am (#)

I just made this…it is really really good. I was a little concerned when sneaking tastes of just the sauce, but when everything is put together, it all fits so perfectly. Thanks for a great go-to recipe!

41. Anonymous posted on March 2, 2012 at 12:49 am (#)

Just made it tonight. Love the consistency and crunch of the cauliflower. I needed more oil for frying. The bang bang sauce was just a touch too sweet so next time I may cut down on the added sugar.I used the Franks sweet chili sauce- needs a bit more kick next time. Thanks for such a great idea!!

42. Angie P posted on March 2, 2012 at 2:37 am (#)

We just tried this tonight. Yuuuummm!!! Bonus: We doubled up all the ingredients except the cauliflower and used it to prepare chicken breast the same way. Bang bang cauliflower & chicken served with garlic marinated mushrooms on the side = freakin’ delicious!

• Anonymous replied on May 30th, 2012 at 9:08 pm

you should put the garlic-marinated mushrooms on pinterest! :)

43. Anonymous posted on March 2, 2012 at 2:08 pm (#)

Made this last night. WOW, can’t wait to make it again! I only used about a quarter of the sugar and it was perfect. Thank you so much for sharing!

44. Bryson lynn posted on March 5, 2012 at 1:20 am (#)

So delicious! Just made for my husband.. We loved it! Thanks for sharing!!!

45. Anonymous posted on March 5, 2012 at 7:45 pm (#)

I’m curious – does the cauliflower actually soften? It kind of seems like the cauliflower would stay hard and not cook enough.

• Anonymous replied on March 30th, 2012 at 4:19 pm

YES gets just soft enough.

46. Anonymous posted on March 5, 2012 at 11:14 pm (#)

Can’t wait to try this-having it for dinner tomorrow.

47. Anonymous posted on March 7, 2012 at 12:41 am (#)

this caught my eye right away..finally got to make it and it was soo good! i used the franks sweet chili but then added some sriracha to make it more hot. cant wait to make this again…thanks for sharing!

48. Val @ Mental Chew posted on March 7, 2012 at 3:09 am (#)

We made this tonight and it was a huge hit with our little ones and my husband. He said it was probably one of the best things I’ve ever made. Thank you! (Do you mind if I use one of your photos and a link to your recipe on my “Menu of the Week”?)

49. Val @ Mental Chew posted on March 7, 2012 at 3:11 am (#)

I also doubled all of the ingredients except for the cauliflower and the sauce because we had a medium-size head of cauliflower. We used just a little siracha in the sauce. TASTY!

50. Theresa posted on March 8, 2012 at 9:13 pm (#)

I am making this tonight but I am going to bake it (and maybe broil it if it isn’t browned)to cut the calories!!!

51. Dari posted on March 12, 2012 at 1:52 am (#)

It was SO good!

52. The Mangrum Family posted on March 13, 2012 at 2:23 am (#)

Delish! I did end up baking it, but I still used the coconut oil in the pan (so I guess it was more like frying in the oven). They came out perfectly crispy! All you have to do is preheat the pan with the coconut oil in a 425 degree oven. Once the oil is hot, place the florets in the pan, cook for 10 minutes, flip, and cook for another 10 minutes. They were perfect!

53. Christa posted on March 13, 2012 at 2:49 am (#)

WOW! Had this for dinner with white rice. So good. I didn’t use coconut oil though, just veg oil. Found you on pinterst! Thank you for an amazing recipe <3

54. Katharina posted on March 13, 2012 at 11:41 pm (#)

Just made this! But instead a made a mango chutney aioli of sorts :D It tastes so good! I am saving some for my parents to have when they get home… but it definitely took some effort lol. Thanks for sharing!

55. Hotel in Rourkela posted on March 17, 2012 at 5:26 am (#)

A hotel in a capital general hike the expectations, as being a capital it holds a number of modern miracles in infra sector as well as ancient monuments.great international hospitality and stunning infrastructure with all the refreshing kits of yours make mu trip memorable. so thanks a lot…….

56. Eva Pristera posted on March 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm (#)

Made these last night! AMAZING!!! Thanks Michelle! I will be making this again and again!

57. Chocolate, Cookies & Candies posted on March 23, 2012 at 9:50 pm (#)

This looks amazing! I never know what to do with cauliflower. I tried making the traditional English version of cauliflower in cheese and cream sauce. Far too rich. This looks amazing. I’m going to try this soon.

58. Anonymous posted on March 29, 2012 at 12:05 am (#)

My Mom and I made this tonight, and it was amazing! Love love love. We used the sweet chili sauce this time, for the dipping sauce, because her stomach is very sensitive but I can’t wait to try the Siracha version! Thank you!

59. Anonymous posted on April 2, 2012 at 3:16 am (#)

I made this tonite and it was excellent.

60. Anonymous posted on April 11, 2012 at 12:34 am (#)

Just made this. It tastes amazing! I’ll try it with the sweet chili sauce next time because my daughter is not a big fan of spicy. Thank you for an excellent recipe!

61. Jenn posted on April 17, 2012 at 8:19 pm (#)

What would be a good entree dish to pair with this?

• Michelle O replied on April 17th, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Hi Jenn! I usually eat this with my finace AS the entree. We make a salad on the side too :)

62. Jenn posted on April 17, 2012 at 9:52 pm (#)

Thank you! I’m trying to eat less meat but am still learning about proteins. Seems cauliflower has good protein and even EFAs! Who knew?! I can’t wait to make this tonight!

63. Jenn posted on April 18, 2012 at 9:50 pm (#)

They were FABULOUS!! Even my 18 mo devoured them!!

64. Melinda posted on May 1, 2012 at 12:42 am (#)

I just tried this recipe today and it’s delicious! I’ve never eaten cauliflower much before but I’ll be having it a lot more often now. Thanks for posting this!

65. Jess Almeida posted on May 3, 2012 at 2:31 am (#)

I have made this twice in the past week! but question – how do you use only 1/4 cup of coconut oil? it seems like I need more…but am not liking the extra fat/calories…

66. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted on May 9, 2012 at 8:15 pm (#)

How did I JUST see this? so delicious!!!

• Michelle O replied on May 9th, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Claire you HAVE to try it. It’s one of my best recipes! I crave it :)

67. Made in Sonoma posted on May 17, 2012 at 2:29 am (#)

I just made this and it’s amazing!!

68. Anonymous posted on June 21, 2012 at 1:38 am (#)

Very tasty! Even got my husband to eat cauliflower. Plenty of cut cauliflower left over so we’ll be having this again soon. I served it on a couple of romaine leaves and then i ate those with the sauce and onions that came off the fried pieces.

69. Anonymous posted on July 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm (#)

Insanely delicious!

70. Charina posted on July 24, 2012 at 5:08 am (#)

I tried it and doing everything that was said in the procedure… and it’s so good! I am not kidding or exaggerating. It is really that good I had to leave a comment. =)

71. Erin Dunahoe posted on July 27, 2012 at 2:46 pm (#)

Im making this for my mommas dinner birthday tonight! What should i cook this with, for like a protien and another side! I want to make it very spectular meal! Please respond as soon as you can! I need help! Please and Thankyou

• Michelle O replied on July 27th, 2012 at 3:07 pm

This dish is pretty heavy. I would serve it as an appetizer if perhaps I was making fish or maybe MAYBE burgers if you wanted to do something bigger.

Personally though I eat this as my protein. It’s heavy enough that I serve it with a salad and this is the main course.

You’re going to LOVE it.

72. Anonymous posted on August 4, 2012 at 12:59 am (#)

first off…i love your blog. thanks for everything you post.
    i noticed that the recipe for the sauce is different on this post than the other post you have that’s just for the sauce. which is best? there are quite a few large differences in ingredient amounts between the 2 recipes for the bang bang sauce.

• Michelle O replied on August 4th, 2012 at 3:08 am

Hi there! The difference accounts for the use of the franks sweet chili instead of siracha sauce. I should put that note next to the suggestion to siracha if you like it hot hot hot :) really its the bases that are important. One part mayo and in this one one part franks sweet chili with a dash of rice wine vinegar and sugar to taste.

With siracha you only need a little bit. It’s potent!

• Michelle O replied on August 4th, 2012 at 3:10 am

With siracha you only need a little bit. It’s potent!

73. jenn posted on August 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm (#)

Officially addicted! Thanks so much.

74. Kelly Crowder posted on September 10, 2012 at 11:24 pm (#)

This would be great with a Thai salad – with a peanut sauce for the greens. The cauliflower is nutritious enough (cauliflower is a super veggie – so good for you!) that you don’t “need” a protein to go along. Although, I’m wondering how firm tofu would be prepared this way!

75. Nakita posted on November 12, 2012 at 11:10 pm (#)

So I seem to be the only one who has had this issue (what’s my deal!?).. But when I put the sauce on, a lot of the breading fell off!! I’m not sure where I went wrong?? The only change I made was I used vegetable oil instead of coconut. But besides that, this was awesome!! :)

76. Stephanie Korolko posted on January 2, 2013 at 3:04 pm (#)

This comment has been removed by the author.

77. Katherine posted on January 5, 2013 at 6:43 pm (#)

I LOVE Bang Bang Shrimp and frequent Bonefish Grill on Wednesdays when it’s only $5!! Now they even have Bang Bang Chicken for those with Shellfish allergies (or who just don’t like shrimp I guess). I cannot wait to try this cauliflower! Love the twist on a favorite! Thanks!

78. Pam List posted on January 7, 2013 at 6:09 pm (#)

Yum

• Pam List replied on January 7th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Lol, I know it was a short comment, but it was heartfelt.

79. Nora posted on February 18, 2013 at 5:35 pm (#)

I am a MAJOR novice when it comes to cooking and I tried this, I’m eating my leftovers now and I loveeee it. I may try using less sugar next time. Also I only used half a head of cauliflower. Thanks so much for posting!!

80. Jennifer Storm posted on February 26, 2013 at 1:21 am (#)

this was really delicious! Good thing my husband doesn’t like cauliflower… more for me!

81. Julie McClure posted on April 3, 2013 at 2:04 pm (#)

Hi Michelle! Love your blog and I seriously LOVE the Bang Bang Cauliflower recipe! I’ve had trouble finding Franks Red Hot Chili Sauce in grocery stores though. I know you’re a DC area resident and I live here too, so where do you get the sauce? I’ve looked online, but it gets a little pricey with shipping.

82. Chao Zhang posted on June 26, 2013 at 5:57 am (#)

A baby downstairs to the store to buy drinks. The shopkeeper gave him a bottle of, then the child says no money.cheap rs gold The shopkeeper is angrily threatened:”Don’t have the money to your mother!” The child was frightened out of bottle caps are off the ground. Pick up a see: come again a bottle of! So the bottle cap, gave it to the owner, walked happily.cheap wow gold Leave the owner to choose a suitable text book with a clueless look on his face.