Panko Fried or Oven Roasted Cauliflower?

Did you know that cauliflower tastes a lot like chicken? No really it does, cauliflower absorbs and retains a lot flavor no matter how you prepare it.

Also awesome — cauliflower has only 28 calories per cup.

You can roast it, fry it, boil it or blanch it  … so many choices.  I tried two.  I loved them both but surprisingly I was partial to the healthier roasted version.

General Tso’s Cauliflower

Shopping List (serves two)
1/2 Head cauliflower
Green onions
General Tso sauce of choice
Panko bread brumbs
1/3 cup coconut oil (I have a large pan, if your frying pan is smaller you only need enough to have about a half inch of oil to lightly fry in)
Salt & Pepper
2 Eggs

Boil cauliflower florets in salted water just until slightly soft (about 5 minutes in boiling water). Beat eggs and set aside in bowl.

Mix panko with with salt and pepper and set aside in a bowl next to the eggs. Get some coconut oil hot in a large frying pan (1/2 inch thick of oil)

Drain your boiled cauliflower, pat dry with a paper towel. Season again. Dip into egg, then cover with panko then place in hot oil. Repeat.

Flip your cauliflower so it browns on each side, with tongs when removing shake off excess oil and let cool on a paper towel to remove all excess oil. Top with General Tso’s sauce and chopped green onions.

Roasted Ranch Cauliflower

Shopping List (serves two)
1/2 Head cauliflower
Salt and Pepper
1/2 lemon
1/2 small packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
Olive oil
Capers (optional)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl toss your cauliflower florets in salt and pepper, about 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice (from your half lemon), and 1/2 a small packet of ranch seasoning.

Spread florets evenly on cookie sheet and bake until toasty and brown (about 30 minutes). Flip occasionally so florets brown evenly.

Sprinkle in capers if you like (I love capers)

27 Responses to “Panko Fried or Oven Roasted Cauliflower?”

1. PolaM posted on January 17, 2012 at 2:39 pm (#)

Those fried general tso florets look so appetizing!

2. Made in Sonoma posted on January 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm (#)

MMM…I love cauliflower! Even raw. :)

3. Kiri W. posted on January 17, 2012 at 2:44 pm (#)

Nothing beats roasted cauliflower for me, so I’d be right there with you in preferring that. I love to curry it when I roast it, but ranch sounds fantastic, too.

4. Emily posted on January 17, 2012 at 3:26 pm (#)

oh my yum the first one looks amazing!

5. Allison posted on January 17, 2012 at 3:26 pm (#)

Michelle – You need to try roasting it in balsamic vinegar! It’s delicious and almost takes on a sweet honey scent. One of my favorite side dishes. :)

6. Aarthi posted on January 17, 2012 at 3:58 pm (#)

Awesome recipe..A must try one

Aarthi

7. Anita at Hungry Couple posted on January 17, 2012 at 5:05 pm (#)

Totally agree! We love cauliflower and usually roast it with olive oil and Parmesan. When I was growing up my mother used to bread and fry it and that was heavenly as well :)

8. RavieNomNoms posted on January 17, 2012 at 5:28 pm (#)

Yessss, Love this! I am so glad you put both of these on here. They both look super tempting!

9. bananamondaes posted on January 17, 2012 at 6:29 pm (#)

Wow – you’ve made them look like mini chicken nuggets. Must try this…although finished my cauliflower last night.

10. Rosemary posted on January 17, 2012 at 6:43 pm (#)

I’m roasting some cauliflower as we speak. (Smells heavenly!) It’s going to become soup later. I’d love to try these panko guys, though.

11. Andrea posted on January 17, 2012 at 6:57 pm (#)

Oh my I must make that General tso cauliflower. that looks so delish. thanks for sharing.

12. Katherine posted on January 17, 2012 at 10:35 pm (#)

Oh I am SO making the second recipe this weekend! I’ve never cooked with ranch packets, although I always hear they are the best secret ingredients.

Thanks for sharing!

❤ Katherine

13. Liz Brown posted on January 17, 2012 at 11:20 pm (#)

Looks sort of surprisingly delicious.

I have always liked cauliflower steamed, with a little cheese. But I might just have to try one of these.

14. Clarion posted on January 18, 2012 at 3:37 am (#)

Hooray! I love roasting cauliflower, never thought to try ranch, but it sounds so yummy.

15. momdecuisine.net posted on January 18, 2012 at 10:58 am (#)

I love the panko friend version! I bet if I made that my kids would gobble it up!!!

16. Curry and Comfort posted on January 18, 2012 at 2:35 pm (#)

I’m brimming with cauliflower these days due to a great sale and I have to try these. :)

17. Suzi posted on January 19, 2012 at 11:58 am (#)

Both of these looks delicious. I really want to make the General Tso’s Cauliflower I like the saucy look. New here just signed in to GFC. Nice to meet you and congrats on the Top 9.

18. Missy ~Cooking For Two posted on January 19, 2012 at 5:06 pm (#)

This looks great! I bought a bag of Panko and I am sort of circling around it thinking…..what so I do! This is really helpful – this looks SO yummy!

19. Alleen posted on January 19, 2012 at 7:32 pm (#)

Cauliflower is my new fav veggie… I boiled and mashed them and tried to pull them off as mashed potatoes to the kids. Didn’t work all that well but they did like them (after butter was added). I’m going to try the General Tso recipe! xo

20. Momof2 posted on January 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm (#)

This looks so delicious! I wonder if it would work with broccoli too? This summer we froze 65 heads of broccoli from our local farmer’s market auction. I like your summer broccoli salad too. Great Post!

21. Chelsea posted on January 20, 2012 at 5:03 pm (#)

Can’t wait to try the roasted ranch recipe!

• Chelsea replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Made it and it was awesome!

22. Cake posted on January 25, 2012 at 9:45 pm (#)

Ranch seasoning makes everything awesome!

23. Rebekah posted on February 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm (#)

These look amazing! I will definitely have to try these soon.

24. USM Dining posted on February 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm (#)

he We tried tGeneral Tso’s Cauliflower in our dining hall and it was absolutely delicious!

25. magee posted on March 7, 2012 at 3:28 am (#)

Eating it as i type…. awesome! Thank you so much for this!

26. The Dose of Reality posted on January 13, 2013 at 2:56 am (#)

Looks SO delicious. I’ve never had roasted cauliflower and now I feel like I’m missing out!
    Found you via Bon Bon Break