Heart Shaped Jello Shots with Cherries

Can you believe it’s almost Valentines Day? We haven’t even taken down our Christmas tree yet!

Where does the time go? I guess in my case it’s spent in the kitchen, making cute little party treats like these.

These shots came out exactly how I imagined them in my head. That doesn’t happen often (in life or in the kitchen) so I was pretty excited.

More Valentines Day posts coming soon!

P.S. Shoot me an email with a picture of your jello shot hearts if you make them! I’ve been getting some photos from you guys over the past few months and I would love to share them with everyone. ThatsSoMichelle@gmail.com

Shopping List (Makes 12 heart shaped shots)
1 cup Three Olives Cherry Vodka
3 oz. box cherry jello
1/2 cup coconut milk
4 table spoons sugar
1 packet Knox Gelatin
12 cherries with stems
1 heart shaped cookie cutter (I bought this Wilton 6pc set from Michaels so that I would have the right size for my cupcake tin)

(For a kid friendly, non-alcoholic version just use cold water instead of vodka)

1. White layer: Pour 1/2 a cup of water and 1/2 a cup of coconut milk into a sauce pan and then sprinkle  1 packet of Knox gelatin on top. Let is sit for one minute, then turn on medium heat and stir until dissolved. Add 1/4 cup sugar and heat until dissolved.

Turn off the heat and wait until the mixture is just warm and then add 1/2 a cup of vodka.

2. Lightly grease cupcake pan with baking spray. You can use a brownie pan too. Wipe off excess spray with a paper towel.¬† (Won’t effect in taste or form, but it helps in unmolding the jello later) Fill tins or pan halfway with coconut jello and vodka mixture.

3. Let white layer firm up for 1 hour in the fridge.

4. Prepare cherries by drying them and slicing off the bottoms so they sit flat on the coconut layer. Place cherries directly in center of the tins.

5. Add Cherry Jello packet to 1 cup of boiling water in a small sauce pan. When dissolved allow to cool and then add 1/2 cup vodka.

6. Carefully pour cherry jello and vodka mixture into the cupcake pan on top of coconut jello so that it just the top of the cherry is visible. Do not fill to top, the cherry will float and not stay upright.

Refrigerate overnight.

8. Unmold by rimming the tins with a knife loosening the jello. Carefully lift up from the bottom with a fork (like a mini spatula) and quickly slide your hand under jello to prevent breakage.

9. With a heart shaped cookie cutter slowly cut out your heart shape right around the cherry. Push once lightly and wait … then ease into the jello carefully until you hit the bottom. Too much pressure will split the heart.

Keep refrigerated until serving, you can double the recipe easily if you need more shots.

Don’t break any hearts ;)¬†

For featuring on your website please make sure to contact thatssomichelle@gmail.com

41 Responses to “Heart Shaped Jello Shots with Cherries”

1. ChinkyGirLMeL posted on January 24, 2012 at 3:03 pm (#)

Awww what a cute idea. This is going on my Pinterest. =)

2. Kristina posted on January 24, 2012 at 3:08 pm (#)

this is such an adorable idea! I’m going to make these for my friend’s valentines day party, love this recipe!

3. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on January 24, 2012 at 3:27 pm (#)

I want to party with you! You always have the cutest ideas! Thanks for sharing!

4. Lacy posted on January 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm (#)

You are seriously the queen of jello shots. These are adorable!! I love it, I think I’m going to have to bring a batch to my friends valentine’s party – awesome! :)

5. Allison posted on January 24, 2012 at 4:30 pm (#)

I saw an awesome idea on pintrest to make heart shaped cupcakes by putting a marble between the tin and cupcake liner in each space while baking. Just a thought of something you could try out :)

6. Liz @ Southern Charm posted on January 24, 2012 at 4:48 pm (#)

I absolutely LOVE this!! What a great idea!!

7. Kiri W. posted on January 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm (#)

Adorable!! :) I’m not huge on vodka cherries, but this sounds amazing.

8. Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on January 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm (#)

They are so adorable! Great idea!

9. Red_Shallot posted on January 24, 2012 at 5:04 pm (#)

Me want more vodka! LOL
    But seriously, they are sooo gorgeous!

10. Michelle posted on January 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm (#)

I’m so obsessed with all your jello shots! And with cherries. So this is a good thing.

11. Ericka Andersen posted on January 24, 2012 at 5:50 pm (#)

Where in the world do think of these things?! I keep thinking you will run out of jello shot ideas, but you don’t. Seriously, someone snatch this blog up and make a book out of it! This is one of my favorite posts — last line is adorbs (yes, I really just said that.)

12. Shri posted on January 24, 2012 at 6:18 pm (#)

They look adorable!

13. Steph posted on January 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm (#)

These are so cute!! And sound ah-mazing!

14. Grubarazzi posted on January 24, 2012 at 6:54 pm (#)

Cuteness! I was so upset about the Ravens I almost called out sick yesterday.

15. Shannon posted on January 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm (#)

So cute!! Love this idea!

16. bananamondaes posted on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 pm (#)

Those two tone jellies are great.I would eat around the jelly and leave the cherry till last.

17. Becky posted on January 24, 2012 at 10:21 pm (#)

These hearts are ah-dorabable! Did you break any hearts? Then you can eat the rejects right away:) I always give the rejects of anything that I make to my hubby.

18. Allie D. posted on January 25, 2012 at 1:42 am (#)

Who eats the outside edges of the hearts?? It’s not something where your five year old gets to lick the bowl of frosting! The host could be pretty well sloshed before the party starts….

• Michelle O replied on January 25th, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Allie — I saved the outsides for the folks who will basically eat or drink anything at the end of the night. There are always a few of them in every crowd ;)

• Allie D. replied on January 25th, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Oh, yeah, those people. I *might* be one of them myself but, for some reason, I can’t quite remember…. ;)

19. raquel@erecipe posted on January 25, 2012 at 2:22 am (#)

smell Valentine wow they looks so cutie =)

20. Reese Milania posted on January 25, 2012 at 2:32 am (#)
  21. Tammy (SvrMomOf6) posted on January 25, 2012 at 3:04 am (#)

Those look tremendous! Pinned ya!

• Heidi replied on January 25th, 2012 at 4:29 pm

How do you pin something when there’s no pinterest link?

• Michelle O replied on January 25th, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Hi Heidi! You can download the “pin it” button to your toolbar from the pinterest website so you can pin anything no matter where you are. Or you can also click on my pinterest account at the top of the page and follow my boards :) The jello shots are on there in a few of my boards.

22. Heidi posted on January 25, 2012 at 4:26 pm (#)

I am loving these!

23. Carrie's Experimental Kitchen posted on January 26, 2012 at 12:12 pm (#)

What a clever idea!

24. Cindy Lou posted on February 1, 2012 at 6:22 am (#)

I have all the supplies for these. Can’t wait to try them. I did the 3 layered shot with the cherry in them. Gave them as part of some Christmas gifts. The are adorable.

Cindy Lou
    Keeping It Classy In Coastal Alabama

25. Alyssa posted on February 2, 2012 at 4:17 pm (#)

Super cute, as always! Maybe this would be a nice light dessert for our valentines day in the house!

26. ANABIALOPS posted on February 2, 2012 at 7:40 pm (#)

Deve ser delicioso, pois os comi só com os olhos!!! PARABÉNS!!!

27. Anonymous posted on February 3, 2012 at 5:01 am (#)

So… I love Jello shots too… but I’m definately not as creative as you. But I had an idea but I haven’t figured out exactly what to do with it yet, so I am sure that you’re creativity can absolutely do something with it! I was trying to figure out a way to maybe to like chocolate pudding shots with the peanut butter syrup they use for ice cream or something along those lines. I haven’t exactly tried anything yet but you definately should!

28. Liberty Unsecured posted on February 9, 2012 at 3:45 pm (#)

I made this for the office, and every one loved it. They keep asking me to make more lol. So instead of me making them over and over I started to show people your website so they can make the jello shots and hopfully make other foods from your site to bring into work. I think I am going to try to make new ways for jelllo shots that I think of. If I come up with something new would you like for me to send you a the shopping list and the how to? Either way great site, will have to try some other foods on here as well. Will be back to see more to come cya.

29. Tricia @SassyPantsMomma posted on February 11, 2012 at 5:21 pm (#)

My sister in law found your recipe for caramel apple shots and demanded I start reading your blog. Also we may need you to come to all of our family parties :)

30. Sumee posted on February 15, 2012 at 11:13 pm (#)

Ohhh…. Loving that look.! Really nice Michelle.

31. Ditch The Wheat posted on February 16, 2012 at 1:26 am (#)

I love these:D

32. Mrs. posted on January 22, 2013 at 11:42 am (#)

what could you use in place of the vodka. I don’t use alcohol. Thanks.

• Michelle O replied on January 22nd, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I would just use water! :)

33. pjl1007 posted on February 6, 2013 at 12:47 am (#)

Is there a way to use something other then coconut flavor? we want the cherry but they do not like coconut.

• Michelle O replied on February 6th, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Hi Pjl — Try 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk. That should make a 1/2 cup of a sweet white milky layer :)

34. Lexi posted on February 13, 2013 at 4:58 am (#)

These are so much fun! I’m totally in love with this idea!
    Lexi @ Glitter, Inc.

35. ......................... posted on February 15, 2013 at 11:10 pm (#)

Thanks for the awesome recipe! I made some today and they turned out great: http://noramakes.blogspot.com/