Grilled Shrimp Salad (with a Light Thai Peanut Dressing) and 5 Tips to Eat Less

I don’t typically write about healthy meals.

Not because I don’t eat healthy food, but because I like to think of this blog as a place to find food for entertaining or even at times … decadence.

But just like everyone else in the world right now … I’m on a diet.  I can’t make cupcakes, or cheesy melty chili dogs, or even high calorie cocktails like chocolate jello shots.

So …. while the rest of the world is with me, on a quest to take off a few inches, I thought I would share with you this awesome salad and few tips I live by to eat less.

1. Fill your plate with veggies. Let’s say my fiance and I are having a turkey burger with no bun for dinner with a cucumber side salad. Typically I have so much cucumber on the side of my plate there is hardly any room for the burger. It helps me stay full and I “feel” like I had a huge dinner, when in reality it was just a whole lot of veggies.

2. Use chop sticks. So I know this one sounds silly, but I bet you have heard about eating your food slowly right? By eating slower, you’ll consume fewer calories and feel full faster. This is easier said than done. UNLESS it’s hard to even pick up your food! I use chop sticks for salads and noodles and basically any dish I can. Try it, it works!

3. Spice it up. Spicy foods contain chemical compounds that boost your metabolism. I add spice to almost everything I make, a little bit of red pepper flakes or Sriracha Sauce can go a long way!

4. Drink water.  Juice, wine, DIET SODA. These are all no-no’s in my book. Empty calories. Drink water with all meals. Zero calories and it is good for your body.

5. Don’t be too hard on yourself. All celebrities have a cheat day. I have one too. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Eating well has to be a lifestyle not a binge diet. Give yourself some room to enjoy some of your favorite things once and while.

Shopping List (serves 1)
Salad:
1/2 bag mixed greens (I like the spring mix with spinach)
5 grilled shrimp (I used a tablespoon of  coconut oil on my grill pan for more flavor. It was awesome)
1 lime

Dressing: (will have left over dressing for salads for the week)
1/4 cup light soy sauce
3/4 cup water
3 tablespoons low fat, low cal peanut butter (I use Better ‘n Peanut Butter)
1 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce
1 handful chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime

Add all of your dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until combined. Taste test to your liking.

Grill your shrimp on a grill pan with coconut oil until they are just pink with a slight char.

Fill a deep small bowl with salad and top with shrimp, about two tablespoons of dressing and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Keep a lime on the side to squeeze on for more flavor whenever you want more. (I looooove lime with Asian inspired flavors)

22 Responses to “Grilled Shrimp Salad (with a Light Thai Peanut Dressing) and 5 Tips to Eat Less”

1. Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) posted on January 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm (#)

That dressing sounds great!

2. April @ Ape's Eats posted on January 11, 2012 at 6:32 pm (#)

I don’t like shrimp but this dressing sounds amazing, I would love to put it over some chicken on a salad. I love your tips too, especially the one with the chopsticks!

3. Michelle O posted on January 11, 2012 at 6:33 pm (#)

Thanks Kelli! Thanks April, you know the chop stick one is my favorite too. It really does work!!! :)

4. Kiri W. posted on January 11, 2012 at 6:54 pm (#)

I totally use chopsticks because I *inhale* food. Seriously. Only my dad eats faster.
    The salad looks amazing, love the creative dressing using peanut butter and soy sauce! :)

5. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts posted on January 11, 2012 at 10:06 pm (#)

Great tips, and I love the dressing for the salad! So pretty too!

6. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts posted on January 11, 2012 at 10:06 pm (#)

Great tips, and I love the dressing for the salad! So pretty too!

7. PolaM posted on January 11, 2012 at 11:17 pm (#)

This salad sound pretty good! I’m having steamed fish tonight and your sauce sounds like the right dressing for it!

8. janet@fromcupcakestocaviar posted on January 12, 2012 at 2:13 am (#)

Wonderful tips, Michelle… and a yummy looking salad!

9. Aarthi posted on January 12, 2012 at 4:27 am (#)

Really Yummy recipe..Would love to give it a try…Thank you so much for posting this..

Aarthi

10. Rosemary posted on January 12, 2012 at 12:12 pm (#)

I haven’t found a low-cal peanut butter I liked yet. Have to look for this because I love peanut dressing too much! Great tips.

11. Liz posted on January 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm (#)

what great tips! And that salad looks amazing!!! Yummy!

12. Momof2 posted on January 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm (#)

So happy to be your 700th member! We simply love this post and your blog! The shrimp salad looks fantastic! Amazing tips. Looking forward to reading more int he new year. Blessings~

13. Maggie Harder posted on January 12, 2012 at 5:37 pm (#)

Those tips are terrific. I am obsessed with hot sauce. I always carry packs of Texas Pete, it makes great salad dressing too! And the Veggie thing, so true. I will cover my plate with broccoli,carrots,and mushrooms- nook it for 2 minutes and put Texas Pete on it with some pepper. Simple, inexpensive, and delicious!

14. Collections posted on January 13, 2012 at 3:47 am (#)

Wow that looks delicious!!

Collections

15. Amalia posted on January 13, 2012 at 6:04 am (#)

I love me some shrimp! This looks so delicious, fresh and healthy; my kind of meal! That dressing looks really good too! Great photos, it really does this recipe justice :)

16. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes posted on January 13, 2012 at 5:26 pm (#)

Love this. Fantastic recipe and really great tips – my chop stick skillz (or lack thereof) should keep me slender in perpetuity.

BTW, I have been remiss in sending you my warmest CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement, Michelle! How exciting!!! 2012 will be such a fantastic year!!!!! :)

17. Kim Bee posted on January 15, 2012 at 1:56 am (#)

Great tips Michelle. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

18. Diomar posted on January 15, 2012 at 8:34 am (#)

i’m an avid fan of this site. .i learned so many. .try to watch movie online for free. .thank you. .

19. Curry and Comfort posted on January 15, 2012 at 1:00 pm (#)

Lovely recipe! :) I also think the tips are very useful. I used to eat with chopsticks to lose weight.. then I got good at using them. It’s been a while, I think I better start using them again. :)

20. bananamondaes posted on January 15, 2012 at 6:00 pm (#)

I agree that a plate full of veggie and the chopsticks thing definitely works. I seem to make it through January with a lot of Thai and Japanese spicy dishes. Great idea for a quick lunch.

21. Annalise posted on February 14, 2012 at 3:50 am (#)

This was amazing…i’m thinking of sticking that dressing in a mason jar and sending it to my friends as gifts. Also, thanks for the excuse to use my new chopsticks my girlfriend brought back from korea.

22. Anna posted on April 10, 2012 at 1:43 am (#)

I made this tonight! I put it over a recipe I found for cilantro lime rice since it was a lot of the same ingredients, it was great! Very sharp, tangy flavors.