Bacon Cupcakes: Sunny Side Up

I wish that my post today actually matched up with my new year resolutions.

My goals this year include; eating yogurt for breakfast everyday, eating only veggies for lunch and running a half marathon.

Bacon cupcakes just don’t seem to fit in with those goals do they?

But I do want to worry less and try to be more positive about life and it’s ever approaching challenges.

I guess we could call this a  “Sunny Side Up” approach.  Maybe?

Truthfully, they were just so cute I had to make them.  (Thank you to my future mother in law for the Betty Crocker cupcake book for Christmas!)

These cupcakes would be awesome to serve for a brunch or breakfast birthday party. Of course I love anything sweet and savory so I would eat them any time and place.

I used a regular white cake box mix but added some bacon and maple syrup. The egg yolk is a butterscotch candy. The “pepper” on the “egg” frosting is poppy seeds.

Shopping List
(makes about 18 cupcakes)
White box cake mix
3 egg whites
9 pieces of crispy crumbled bacon
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 cup water
2, 8 oz packages of cream cheese (room temperature)
Confectioners sugar to taste (about 1 or 2 cups)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, line your cupcake pan with paper liners.

In a large bowl mix your cake mix, egg whites, water, coconut oil and maple syrup with an electric hand mixer.

Cook your bacon until it’s crispy (microwave or pan fry, but make sure it’s not greasy) and rough chop into small chunks.

Mix your bacon bits lightly into your batter with a spoon. Fill your liners with the batter, about 3/4 of the way full.

Bake for 15-22 minutes or until they pass the tooth pick test.

While baking make your frosting. In a large bowl add your cream cheese and sugar. Mix until combined and until you achieve the sweetness you desire. Remember this is a sweet and savory cupcake so it can still resemble cream cheese, just a sweetened version.

After cupcakes are baked and cooled top them with the cream cheese frosting and butterscotch candy. Sprinkle poppy seeds and serve.

48 Responses to “Bacon Cupcakes: Sunny Side Up”

1. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts posted on January 2, 2012 at 8:06 pm (#)

These are so cute!! I love this idea for a fun birthday treat!

2. S.V. posted on January 2, 2012 at 8:09 pm (#)

These are super cute! I love it! I will have to make them as I have a slight addiction to everything bacon and especially in sweets!

3. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted on January 2, 2012 at 8:34 pm (#)

OMG MICHELLE!! This is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen :)!!

4. Made in Sonoma posted on January 2, 2012 at 8:51 pm (#)

haha, those are awesome!

5. Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny posted on January 2, 2012 at 8:58 pm (#)

What a cute idea, these look delicious!! :)

6. Ali B posted on January 2, 2012 at 11:21 pm (#)

These are so cute! Pinned :)

7. April @ Ape's Eats posted on January 3, 2012 at 12:08 am (#)

These are so cute, I love the butterscotch as the egg yolk!

8. Rosemary posted on January 3, 2012 at 1:53 am (#)

That is just too clever! Delightful idea! Can’t wait for some great excuse to try ‘em!

9. Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño posted on January 3, 2012 at 1:54 am (#)

These look ADORABLE~!!!!!! They are the cutest cupcakes I have ever seen {and I personally have been a professional cupcake judge before}. I love it, and so creative. Nice job :)

10. Baker Street posted on January 3, 2012 at 9:14 am (#)

Wow! These are adorable! Love the idea.

11. momdecuisine.net posted on January 3, 2012 at 9:47 am (#)

Even if these cupcakes don’t fit with your resolutions, I think they are too cute to have passed up! I love this. My bacon and cupcake loving kids would go crazy for this!

12. Ericka Andersen posted on January 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm (#)

omg how adorable. I wish we lived closer so I could eat one!

13. Sutapa posted on January 3, 2012 at 4:12 pm (#)

What a sweet little and fanastic looking cup cakes, with bacon in it….it is just so irresistible!
    Wish you and all your loved ones A Very Happy New Year 2012!:)

14. Shannon posted on January 3, 2012 at 7:12 pm (#)

These are too cute!!! I love how you added syrup and bacon to the cake mix. I am definitely going to have to try these!

• Anonymous replied on May 14th, 2012 at 2:32 am

I have a question about this… do you follow the boxed cake mix recipe PLUS add 3 egg whites? And what about the water in the cake mix?

15. Sarah posted on January 4, 2012 at 2:30 am (#)

Its funny because one of my new years resolutions is to eat more bacon cupcakes… these are so d a r l i n g!

16. MyFudo™ posted on January 4, 2012 at 6:04 am (#)

So Lovely! I love cupcakes!!! Your recipe is so unique and interesting. Thanks for sharing…Happy New Year!

17. The Chef Doc posted on January 4, 2012 at 9:30 am (#)

You always create scrumptious and cute concoctions, Michelle :-) Happy New Year!

18. Unknown posted on January 4, 2012 at 2:46 pm (#)

This is awsome. Will be trying them today. What is the title of the cupcake book you got for Christmas

19. Michelle O posted on January 4, 2012 at 2:53 pm (#)

Hey there! It’s the Betty Crocker Big Cupcake Book. I just added the amazon link to the blog post. They have some cool stuff in there but this one was right up my ally.

20. cookie posted on January 4, 2012 at 3:16 pm (#)

Totally obsessed with these. So cute!!!

21. Amber, RD posted on January 4, 2012 at 3:20 pm (#)

That is so cute! I totally thought was actually an egg when I saw the picture.

22. Alleen posted on January 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm (#)

Very creative! I thought it might be a real egg at first. Happy New Year! xo

23. Anonymous posted on January 4, 2012 at 4:56 pm (#)

I find it both sad and very surprising when box cake mixes turn up on a cooking site. Scratch, people. Cook from scratch. It’s what real bakers do.

24. Jess posted on January 4, 2012 at 5:25 pm (#)

What awesome cupcakes! Thank you so much for sharing and congrats on Top 9. :)

25. Michelle O posted on January 4, 2012 at 5:31 pm (#)

What if you’re not a “real” baker Anon? What if your a mom with a full time job other than baking but you want to do something super cute and still tasty for a party for your friends or for your kids … then you can come to me :)

26. Jaime Verk - Perez posted on January 4, 2012 at 5:47 pm (#)

I just LOVE this. So cute!

27. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes posted on January 4, 2012 at 6:11 pm (#)

Whoa, Michelle! You had me at the visual on these cupcakes, but I also love the sweet/savory combo. These look AMAZING!! Happy New Year by the way – I can’t wait to see what else you come up with in 2012!! :)

28. Sarah @ Run Sqrl, Run! posted on January 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm (#)

These are so cute! I love this idea. :)

29. bananamondaes posted on January 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm (#)

these are amazing. I bet the creamcheese and bacon combination is delicious. Love the picture.

30. RavieNomNoms posted on January 4, 2012 at 9:27 pm (#)

This is SO awesome!! Congrats on the TOP 9!

31. Sherry posted on January 4, 2012 at 10:51 pm (#)

That looks so cool, it really has the WOW factor.

32. Amy posted on January 5, 2012 at 12:34 am (#)

These are so cute! I love this idea, and if I were not a vegetarian I would be all over them ;)! I am trying to have a sunnier outlook in 2012 as well :)! Good luck training for the half marathon!

33. Cucina49 posted on January 5, 2012 at 12:34 am (#)

I saw a photo and just had to click on it. These are beautifully decorated!

34. freeeatsfood.com posted on January 5, 2012 at 2:23 am (#)

Oh dear. I REALLY want to eat bacon cupcakes now. Irresistible and SO darn cute to look at!

35. Tricia Hancock posted on January 5, 2012 at 3:01 am (#)

How do they taste? I’ve never had bacon in a cupcake before.

36. Halley posted on January 5, 2012 at 3:40 am (#)

These look so perfect, I love them! I absolutely had to click through to see what they were made of and if that was really an egg. You have a new fan!

37. Ashley posted on January 5, 2012 at 4:57 am (#)

OK between the bacon cupcakes and the champagne jello-shots, I am 100 percent in love with your blog already. Wow!

38. Melissa @ Best Friends For Frosting posted on January 5, 2012 at 6:21 am (#)

This is one of these cutest cupcakes I have seen in a long time. I look forward to featuring this!

39. Bethany posted on January 6, 2012 at 4:01 pm (#)

Have you thought about adding a tad bit of maple syrup to the cupcake? All of the bacon cupcakes I’ve come across have been maple bacon and maple syrup totally goes along with the breakfast theme!

40. Maggie Harder posted on January 6, 2012 at 5:31 pm (#)

This bacon cupcake takes the cake- I am obsessed!! making this weekend for breakfast, lunch, and DINNER!

41. Erin posted on January 8, 2012 at 3:34 am (#)

Oh yum! And they look so cool!

42. The Tumbleweed Contessa posted on January 9, 2012 at 9:28 pm (#)

This is very clever. Never mind the box cake mix. Sometimes they work out just fine.

43. PolaM posted on January 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm (#)

That cupcake is too cute! Love it!

44. Grubarazzi posted on January 16, 2012 at 6:16 pm (#)

These are so incredibly super cute!

45. Cakes y etc posted on January 17, 2012 at 9:11 pm (#)

OMG!!! That’s incredible and shold be super-yummmmmmmm!!!

46. Becky Mulkey posted on January 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm (#)

Cupcakes = carbo-loading, so I’d say they definitely fit in your marathon training plans :)

47. Anonymous posted on January 30, 2012 at 10:27 am (#)

You forgot to put the poppy seeds in the Shopping List! Yummy recipe and even better pictures!