Jingle Bell Brunch: Birch and Barley

Instead of a Christmas gift exchange this year my girlfriends and I thought it would be nice to treat ourselves to mimosas!

We all love a good brunch in the city and Birch and Barley on 14th Street in Washington, DC did not disappoint.

The decor was cozy and rustic, and even though we were all (frantically) running 5 minutes late, the host was not snobby at all. He smiled and let us sit down and wait until our whole party arrived. Mimosa in hand and all!

I highly recommend the “Boozy Brunch” special. It’s the best bang for your buck, because let’s face it, you’re probably going to get more than one mimosa.

I ordered the House-Brined Corned Beef Hash served with two fried duck eggs, potatoes and parsley. Best corned beef hash I’ve ever had. No joke. Just look at it!

Oh, and what are these below? These are the freshly fried donut holes, covered in chocolate — and in some cases topped in bacon — that come with the special. Heaven in your mouth.

Ariana got the Huevos Rancheros, a pepper jack-avocado omelet, pupusa, and poblano sausage. Ari is a vegetarian and they had no problem leaving off the sausage.

Ericka got the Huevos Rancheros as well, but she opted for apple-wood smoked bacon instead of the sausage.

I can not say enough about how great the service was. Our waiter took a photo for us, didn’t care that we looked like the paparazzi snapping photos of our food, and let us sit as long as we needed while we talked our heads off about girl stuff.

If you are looking for a place to brunch with your ladies (or even your man) check out Birch and Barley. You won’t be disappointed.

Birch and Barley
1337 14th St. N.W.
Washington, D.C.
(202) 567-2576

9 Responses to “Jingle Bell Brunch: Birch and Barley”

1. Katherine posted on December 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm (#)

Oh my goodness those donut holes look amazing! Yum. I definitely need to find some this weekend!

❤ Katherine

2. Grubarazzi posted on December 20, 2011 at 9:09 pm (#)

Oh, this is a must for me. MUST GO! thanks for sharing.

3. Emily posted on December 20, 2011 at 9:42 pm (#)

yum!! ill have to check that out next time im in DC! What a fun day with your girlfriends!

4. Tina posted on December 20, 2011 at 10:03 pm (#)

The whole boozy brunch sounds like an awesome idea! The food does look great on all those plates-yum! Great way to spend an afternoon and very inspiring-thanks for sharing!

5. Elizabeth @ The Bare Midriff posted on December 21, 2011 at 12:01 am (#)

Wow, this place sounds great! And of my gracious that hash looks amazing!!

6. Christine posted on December 21, 2011 at 9:01 am (#)

Yum! Huevos rancheros is my all-time favourite breakfast!

I gotta admit, though, I first clicked on the link to this post because I thought you were cooking with actual birch, haha! :D

7. Mommyof2girlz/StephD posted on December 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm (#)

Oh my, I am so hungry now! It all looks amazing and perfect captures!

8. Liz @ Southern Charm posted on December 21, 2011 at 9:01 pm (#)

This place looks AMAZING! I’m a huge fan of brunch and a huge fan of fried eggs over my meat! Slurp!

9. momdecuisine.net posted on December 22, 2011 at 11:29 am (#)

Oh how I miss DC. I don’t remember this place from when I lived there, but it looks right up my alley. I LOVE those doughnut holes and huevos rancheros is one of my favorite breakfast foods. Great post!