Caribbean Christmas Rum Cake

Im back! Although, I can’t say I am very happy about it. Anyone want to run away and live on Grand Cayman Island with me? We could drink pina coladas and eat rum cake all day!

What? You have a real job? … oh, yeah me too… sigh.

We tasted samples of rum cake while sight seeing in George Town and I knew I had to try and make some on my own the minute we got home.

The recipe is really simple and even though he says it all the time, my taste tester told me “This might be the best thing you have ever made.”
I think he just wants to go back to Grand Cayman too.
Check out our drinks!

And thanks to Liz (Check her out over at Reston Style) who was also vacationing on Grand Cayman (ironic right?) we got to lounge at this amazing resort. You know when there is a pool right before the beach you are doing something right.

So are you ready for a vacation yet? I bet you are. Well if you can’t go, you can atleast make this rum cake. You wont be sorry.

Shopping List (Fills one large bunt cake, or two medium loaf pans)

Cake
1 package yellow cake mix
1 3.4 oz. package vanilla pudding (Jello Brand)
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup dark rum (use the good stuff)
1 teaspoon artificial banana flavoring (optional, but I liked the extra hint tropical flavor)

Rum Glaze
1 stick butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup dark rum

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour your pan of choice.

For the cake, mix your cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, coconut oil, rum, and banana flavoring in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Don’t over mix just combine until smooth. Pour into your pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a butter knife in the center pulls out clean.

While the cake is cooling prepare your glaze.

Melt butter in a medium sauce pan on medium heat, when melted add water and sugar until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Turn off heat and let cool to warm. Add rum.

Place cake on desired serving plate. Poke holes in cake all over. (The non ink side of a pen would work fine) Pour your glaze all over your rum cakes to fill the holes and let the glaze soak up inside.

Refrigerate until serving. The long the cake sits the better flavor it will have.

12 Responses to “Caribbean Christmas Rum Cake”

1. Tina posted on December 12, 2011 at 6:31 pm (#)

I am always game for a moist slice of rum cake-even if I am far from the tropics! This cake does look tasty.
    Glad you enjoyed your vacation-the drink picture alone has me wishing I was headed out to the island for a week. No doubt your visit was very memorable and fun! Have a great day.

2. Ashley Lynn posted on December 12, 2011 at 6:42 pm (#)

Run Cakes are the best!!! My favorite part about visiting the islands, well that and the sun!!

3. janet@fromcupcakestocaviar posted on December 12, 2011 at 6:46 pm (#)

Sooooo… when do we leave for the Islands, Michelle?? Promise you’ll make a few gazillion jello shots while we’re there? :-P

And don’t forget the rum cake cause this looks amazing!

4. Lacy posted on December 12, 2011 at 7:32 pm (#)

For some reason this recipe won’t open through my foodbuzz link (just tries to load forever) BUT I saw the title and I had to find another way here. I’ve been dieing for a delicious Caribbean rum cake. This looks and sounds amazing!

5. PolaM posted on December 13, 2011 at 12:22 am (#)

I want to come on vacation with you next time! But I guess I’ll have to be happy with the cake…

6. kristie posted on December 13, 2011 at 8:37 pm (#)

That cake looks so yummy! Wish I were lounging by the pool right now…
    xo
    blushingbasics.com

7. Kim Bee posted on December 14, 2011 at 3:07 am (#)

Yummy cake. Hope you got some sun and fun. Reality sucks, we should all rebel and go live at the beach! You make the jello shots and rum cake!

8. Made in Sonoma posted on December 15, 2011 at 7:05 pm (#)

I love rum cake!

9. CouponClippingCook posted on December 16, 2011 at 7:23 am (#)

Your vacation pics look so pretty. Love the simple ingredients used for this cake. Looks delicious.

10. Sharon posted on December 20, 2011 at 5:10 pm (#)

Did you use the cook and serve or instant pudding mix? I can’t wait to try this recipe, sounds AMAZING!!!!

11. Oh how you made me miss Grand Cayman! I lived there for 2 years and spent much time in all the places you mention! Perhaps I can make a rum cake and pretend I’m in Georgetown. Thanks for the memory!

12. Jorie (Sandonthebrain Jorie) posted on December 17, 2014 at 4:47 pm (#)

BTW: double the glaze and save leftovers…. May, or may not, be awesome over pancakes. Wink wink.  (Okay. I admit. It’s terrific over pancakes!)