The Truth about Pumpkin Pie Jello Shots

I have good news and bad news.

We’ll start with the good news first … They taste really good.  Just like pumpkin pie with a kick of rum, strong rum, the kind that warms up your whole body as it goes down.  I actually couldn’t stop eating them …

The bad new is, you would be forced to eat them with a spoon rather than a bite or “shot” so to speak.

Several recipes on the web claim you can serve them in Keebler® Ready Crust® Mini Graham Cracker Pie Crusts. These pie crusts, while they are “mini” they are about the size of the palm of your hand, which is not mini enough.

So, I cut mine in quarters ….

Not bad, but still not as pretty as serving them whole.

So I tried to bake them in my own mini filo crusts. Nope — didn’t work — the jello collapsed the filo.

My suggestion is DO make the jello, but stick to traditional plastic shot cups, unless you are comfortable with less than perfect quarters.

And this my friends is this is the truth about pumpkin pie jello shots. Good luck!  Let me know if you have better results or ideas!  Maybe pumpkin pie pudding shots?

Shopping List (if quartered makes 24 shots)
6 Keebler mini graham-cracker piecrusts1 cup cold water
1 envelope Knox gelatin
1 and 1/4 cup water
1/3 cup canned pumpkin pie mix (already spiced)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup rum
1/2 tablespoon cold heavy cream
Whipped cream, for serving if desired
(For a kid friendly, non-alcoholic version just use cold water instead of rum)

1. Pour 1 cup of cold water in sauce pan and sprinkle the gelatin packet on top. Let it sit for a minute or two. (No heat)

2. Turn heat on to medium and add pumpkin mix and sugar stirring until combined. Turn off heat and let cool.

3. Mix 1/2 cup rum, remaining 1/4 cup water, and 1/2 table spoon heavy cream in a separate bowl, then add to the gelatin mixture.

4. Pour mixture into pie crusts and refrigerate overnight. Top with whipped cream if desired. Cut pies in halves then quarters to serve small bite sizes.

For featuring on your website please make sure to contact thatssomichelle@gmail.com

51 Responses to “The Truth about Pumpkin Pie Jello Shots”

1. Ari posted on November 8, 2011 at 7:34 pm (#)

i NEED to taste this.

2. healthyfoodietravels posted on November 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm (#)

…this brings back memories from my undergrad days.

3. The Mom Chef posted on November 8, 2011 at 7:57 pm (#)

What if you made your own graham cracker crusts that were a bit sturdier in a mini-muffin cup? If each was lined with a little foil, you’d be able to pull them out easily. I know it’s a bit more work, but they’re so flippin’ cute; even that pie wedge is adorable.

4. Jes Armstrong posted on November 8, 2011 at 8:00 pm (#)

Yum! Too cute to not try!

5. Michelle O posted on November 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm (#)

That’s a great idea Mom Chef. They would have to be mini truffle sized foils but that might just work. They taste so good it’s worth a shot! No pun intended there :)

6. Kimber posted on November 8, 2011 at 8:29 pm (#)

What a great idea, pumpkin pie jell-o shots … and adding rum, genius! You do come up with the most clever ideas for Jell-O shots! Thanks for sharing!

7. Liz posted on November 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm (#)

I soooooo want some!!! Can we just cook when we hang out next week? :)

8. Christine's Pantry posted on November 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm (#)

Great idea. Love this.

9. Cake posted on November 8, 2011 at 9:07 pm (#)

I like Mom Chef’s idea or you could get those ready-made pastry tart shells. I have some mini ones from Clearbrook Farms in my pantry: http://clearbrookfarms.com/tart-fillings-shells/tart-shells.html

10. Megan posted on November 8, 2011 at 10:23 pm (#)

Sounds delicious! And I was going to suggest the same thing as Mom Chef. Make your own graham cracker crusts in mini muffin trays!

11. Curry and Comfort posted on November 9, 2011 at 1:20 am (#)

You are the Queen of the jello-shots!! What a totally cute mini pumpkin pie shot!! They look perfect! :)

12. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on November 9, 2011 at 2:38 am (#)

Oh, you’ve done it again! I MUST try these! I bet they are fantastic with or without the crust!

13. janet@cupcakestocaviar posted on November 9, 2011 at 3:33 am (#)

HEH!! I love this one Michelle! Definitely making this for Thanksgiving for my grown kids. They will love it. Assuming I leave them any hehehehe.
    So buzzing this!

14. Dzoli posted on November 9, 2011 at 4:42 am (#)

Great idea to quarter them.Mini is mini and cant be anything else.Very yummy:)

15. Ann posted on November 9, 2011 at 5:21 am (#)

How cool are you They look just like mini pies….you are the jello shot queen!

16. Baker Street posted on November 9, 2011 at 7:29 am (#)

Pie jello shots! What a fun idea! love it!

17. Kim Bee posted on November 9, 2011 at 7:36 am (#)

Michelle you are a goddess. I adore you! And these shots!

18. momdecuisine posted on November 9, 2011 at 11:28 am (#)

I think the slice is pretty cute. I love this!

19. Christine posted on November 10, 2011 at 5:23 am (#)

Yum yum yum, rum rum rum! Pie + jello + booze = amaaaazing. BOOZE IN EVERYTHING!

20. Sarah Catherine posted on November 11, 2011 at 6:30 pm (#)

Ok, so the pie slice is winning my award for cutest jello shot. Seriously, I adore the little slice even more than the whole pie. Can you come make these for my Thanksgiving puh-lease?

21. Mrs MacKenzie posted on November 14, 2011 at 2:06 am (#)

What are you talking about “traditional plastic shot cups”? I don’t know what those are. New to making Jello Shots. Can you please explain?

22. Mrs MacKenzie posted on November 14, 2011 at 2:10 am (#)

nevermind, i just googled it… haha, but how do you suggest using them for this recipe? transferring parts of the graham cracker crust to the plastic shot glass?

23. Grubarazzi posted on November 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm (#)

You are a jello shot genius.

24. Michelle O posted on November 15, 2011 at 2:26 am (#)

Mrs. MacKenzie :) Yeah I think it would be tasty to make the jello sprinkle some graham cracker on top then a puff of whipped cream! Delish. I’ve gotten some emails though that they really like how the slices come out too though!

25. Bree posted on November 17, 2011 at 8:30 pm (#)

Try baking graham cracker crumbs with butter and egg (to hold the shape) in mini muffin pans. I make mini smores bites this way, I don’t see why they would work here!

26. Margaret posted on November 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm (#)

I can definitely deal with “less than perfect quarters” LMAO

27. Erin @ Cooking on Whim posted on November 24, 2011 at 2:39 am (#)

These are awesome looking– I am making them right NOW (seriously). One suggestion to the pie crust issue: Maybe serve with whipped cream, and then sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs? This way you could do it in the traditional shot cup. I think that’s what I will be trying. Thanks for the fantastic Thanksgiving Idea!!!

28. Sarah Paige posted on January 16, 2012 at 4:31 am (#)

What about just upping the gelatin content? That is, increasing the amount of gelatin from 1 packet to 1½ packets, making for a firmer shot.

Hmmm… I shall experiment with this and report back.

29. Anonymous posted on February 13, 2012 at 12:34 am (#)

I have an idea for the pie crusts. Make a graham cracker crust recipe and use a mini muffin tin to make the shells. Bake the as you would normally then make the jello in them. Yummoliscious!

30. Lu Ann posted on April 27, 2012 at 5:44 am (#)

Lawdy, lawdy these look exquisite. Love the tiny little pie slices, love the shots idea, but frankly, RUM and PUMPKIN? In another 50 years these will be as popular as mojitos and you will be as celebrated as Hemingway. lawdy.

31. Angela D aka TF10 posted on June 22, 2012 at 2:09 am (#)

Hey I think I solved the crust problem! Check these out on my site..gave you props for the recipe :) http://www.tablefor10.net/pumpkin-pie-jello-shots/

32. michelle posted on September 29, 2012 at 5:45 pm (#)

i think the slice is what makes this perfect! with its own dollip of whipped cream. i would make these with real pie crust… mmm

33. Becky Quist posted on October 10, 2012 at 1:39 am (#)

This comment has been removed by the author.

34. Becky Quist posted on October 10, 2012 at 1:41 am (#)

Is there any way to do this dairy free? Without using heavy cream? This might be a ridiculous question.

• Michelle O replied on October 10th, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I bet you could just leave out the 1/2 TBS of cream and it would be fine. I think I did that mostly for the coloring :)

35. 1094624c-2a94-11e2-af62-000bcdcb5194 posted on November 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm (#)

how do you think captain morgan would work with this? or better off with regular rum?

• Michelle O replied on November 9th, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I think Captain Morgans in this would still be really good! :)

36. Mary Janes posted on November 18, 2012 at 12:15 am (#)

i LOVED this idea but decided to tweak it..i made the pumpkin pie part of the jello shots in plastic cups and topped them with cool whip sprinkled with toasted graham cracker crumbs. they were AMAZING!! and the plastic cups allowed them to sit out for longer. try it!

37. Vanessa Goodyear-Kaopua posted on November 22, 2012 at 3:29 am (#)

These look awesome, can’t wait to try them tomorrow! One question: how many ounces is the gelatin envelope? Did you use one pack of the box of four (0.25 ounces)?

• Michelle O replied on November 22nd, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Im not sure how many ounces are in the small envelops that come in the box. I have the big jumbo box of know because I use it so much. But Im pretty sure that no matter what size box you buy the envelopes inside are all the same size :) Happy Thanksgiving! Let me know how they turned out!

• Michelle O replied on November 22nd, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Of *KNOX not know. Sorry :P

38. Daniel Caryll posted on November 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm (#)
  39. K posted on September 14, 2013 at 5:38 pm (#)

what if u used a pie crust (pastry dough, not graham cracker) and cut out rounds just big enough to fit into mini tartlet cups? you would have to bake them for about 5-10 minutes, so a little extra work… but it would make them small enough to just eat… plus, real pumpkin pie has a pastry crust, not graham cracker

40. Melissa Osbourne posted on December 11, 2013 at 5:02 am (#)

I made my own little crusts in couple of mini muffin tins using graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. I parbaked them to set the shape and get that baked taste, then let them cool and stuck them in the freezer (still in the pans) for about 10-15 mins before filling with the jello mix. I also stuck them back in the freezer for another 5-10 mins after filling to give the jello a jump-start on solidifying. Then I switched them to the fridge.

I didn’t unmold them until just before I put them on the serving tray and topped with a rosette of whipped cream and a tiny dash of pumpkin pie spice. They held together perfectly, and they tasted a-maz-ing with their crunchy, buttery crust and the yummy pumpkin filling. They were the perfect mini size and were gone before any of the other jello shots.

Thank you so much for this recipe! My new Halloween/Christmas party staple!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: How to Make Pumpkin Pie Jello Shots | Wouldyouhelp.me | How to do anything.

2. Pingback: How to Make Pumpkin Pie Jello Shots | The Global Point

3. Pingback: How to Make Pumpkin Pie Jello Shots

4. Pingback: How to Make Pumpkin Pie Jello Shots | popquizhelp

5. Pingback: How to Make Pumpkin Pie Jello Shots - NEWS | Phones | Nigeria Science | Technology |Computers

6. Pingback: 3 Ways to Make Pumpkin Pie Jello Shots - wikiHow