Pumpkin Mac and Cheese

Ready for the creamiest mac and cheese you’ve ever tasted? I’ve always thought Velveeta had the trademark on creamy, but it looks like pumpkin is about to give them a run for their money!

I might just put pumpkin in my mac and cheese from now on actually.

By the way, I went through a lot to make this mac and cheese. I blame it all on my sinus infection induced haze.  Earth to Michelle are you in there?

Why did you buy regular potatoes for (upcoming)  sweet potato tartlets? And why did you buy canned  sweet  potato puree instead of   pumpkin  puree for this mac and cheese, oh and did you really just break the can opener?

Luckily I had a back up can of pumpkin, although I did have to run to the store AGAIN for a new can opener.

Good thing this mac and cheese tasted amazing, or I might have tossed it at the wall. Stay tuned for those tartlets. Let’s hope I have better luck in the kitchen tomorrow.

Shopping List (serves 4)

8 oz. pasta, about half a box (your choice, I went with ziti)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
4 Kraft Singles Cheddar Cheese
1/4 stick butter
1 cup organic pumpkin puree
Fresh cracked pepper
Fresh chives

Boil pot of water for pasta. While pasta is cooking in boiling water (boils for about 15 minutes), melt butter in a separate sauce pan on medium heat. When mostly melted add your cream and milk.

Bring milk cream and butter sauce to a slight boil then add your cheese singles one at a time, tearing them in small pieces and adding more as they melt, stirring constantly. A thick cheese sauce will form. When all your cheese has been added a thick sauce has formed add your canned pumpkin puree.

Whisk until combined.

Strain cooked pasta and return to pot, pour pumpkin cheese sauce over pasta.  Top with fresh cracked pepper and chives. Serve immediately.

(Tip: If you need to reheat pasta, add a splash and stir to regain creaminess)

34 Responses to “Pumpkin Mac and Cheese”

1. Dzoli posted on November 5, 2011 at 8:42 pm (#)

What a great idea to enchance good old mac and cheese.I also think it might be very tasty:)

2. healthyfoodietravels posted on November 5, 2011 at 8:46 pm (#)

Wow, this looks perfectly creamy! :) Never had pumpkin in my pasta, but it sounds like a great idea!

3. Kels @ K and K Test Kitchen posted on November 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm (#)

I always stick to the same old recipe for mac and cheese, but I may just have to try this version. Especially if it means I can get rid of the Velveeta!

4. LoveFayexoxo posted on November 5, 2011 at 8:55 pm (#)

this sounds and LOOKS amazing!!! yummers!!

LoveFaye xoxo

5. Christine's Pantry posted on November 5, 2011 at 9:46 pm (#)

Sounds good.

6. PolaM posted on November 5, 2011 at 9:52 pm (#)

Creamy, cheesy pasta is THE comfort food! Nothing is as good as that!

7. Stephanie posted on November 5, 2011 at 10:10 pm (#)

Yummy! So creamy and delicious!

8. Parsley Sage posted on November 6, 2011 at 12:11 am (#)

Outstanding idea! I bet that tastes fabulous :) And I’m sure its yumminess helped run off your sniffles!

9. the food dude posted on November 6, 2011 at 12:30 am (#)

Pumpkin with mac and cheese, very cool!

10. Amy posted on November 6, 2011 at 2:17 am (#)

I love that you have added pumpkin to mac and cheese! It sounds delicious! Hope you are feeling better :)!

11. The Food Mentalist posted on November 6, 2011 at 2:20 am (#)

YUMMM I absolutely love Mac cheese and this one sounds delicious! Great post , thanks xx

12. Curry and Comfort posted on November 6, 2011 at 3:03 am (#)

This ain’t no blue box mac’n cheese!! This is some good stuff!! YUM! I love adding the pumpkin into it… what a pop of nutrition and flavor! Well hidden too… I’m definitely trying this on my kids. :)

13. Ann posted on November 6, 2011 at 3:42 am (#)

That looks amazing! I’ve heard of pumpkin mac & cheese, but I’ve not tried it yet. I hope you feel better….and you get a new can opener soon!

14. momdecuisine posted on November 6, 2011 at 6:20 am (#)

What a great idea! It looks so creamy. I hope you’re feeling better!

15. Junglefrog posted on November 6, 2011 at 10:40 am (#)

Love the idea of adding pumpkin to the Mac and cheese. Unfortunately we don’t have canned pumpkin here so I’d have to make that first. Still. It looks worth it!

16. Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen posted on November 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm (#)

sounds delicious…i think this is the recipe that I’ve been waiting my whole life for!!

17. Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic posted on November 6, 2011 at 8:26 pm (#)

That looks delicious! Okay, now I’m hungry! haha :)

18. Kristin posted on November 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm (#)

I tend to go sweet when I think of pumpkin, but this is a great savory pumpkin dish. Sounds yummy.

19. Amalia posted on November 6, 2011 at 11:59 pm (#)

I’ve never heard of pumpkin mac and cheese but I loving the sound and look of it! This looks so creamy and delicious :) Thanks for sharing, have a wonderful day!

20. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes posted on November 7, 2011 at 4:30 pm (#)

Ohmaghee, you’re after my heart! This looks simply amazing and mac & cheese is one of my absolute faves. I can’t wait to try your version.

Have a great week, Michelle!!! :)

21. Lori Lynn posted on November 7, 2011 at 4:53 pm (#)

Great idea Michelle!
    Congrats on T-9! #1 YAY!
    LL

22. The Diva's Dishes posted on November 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm (#)

I LOVE Mac & Cheese! I also love any winter squash such pumpkin in just about anything! It’s funny that you used Kraft cheddar cheese & organic pumpkin.
    I will defiantly try this recipe, that is once I’m off the no carb diet.

23. Made in Sonoma posted on November 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm (#)

Looks delicious! My mom made some a few weeks ago and I loved it. I bet sweet potato puree would have worked too. :)

24. Amber, RD posted on November 7, 2011 at 10:15 pm (#)

Wow. What an awesome idea. I am so making mac and cheese tonight. That looks like a great comfort food! Feel better!

25. Erin posted on November 7, 2011 at 11:36 pm (#)

Love pumpkin with pasta – tried it or the first time this year! This looks like a great recipe.

26. karen posted on November 7, 2011 at 11:45 pm (#)

has anyone tried this with real pumpkin puree???? Also, what about real cheddar rather than singles?

27. Drummer posted on November 8, 2011 at 6:30 am (#)

hi…its a nice recipes, i like it. best regards.

28. Mama's World posted on November 8, 2011 at 10:18 am (#)

Nice!!

29. Mommyof2girlz/StephD posted on November 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm (#)

Wow it looks super creamy and very interesting! I will definitely have to try this, thanks for sharing!

30. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted on November 8, 2011 at 9:05 pm (#)

I love pumpkin mac n cheese!! I made a baked version and it was AMAZING.

31. Catie posted on November 14, 2011 at 5:05 am (#)

What an awesome idea! I am totally making this for my boyfriend this week! Your blog is so lovely! I wanna try every recipe! :)

32. Katie posted on November 15, 2011 at 1:46 am (#)

This looks SO good… and I’m saying that after I just stuffed my face with chocolate pie! Second dinner, perhaps? I will… I repeat… WILL be making this soon. Thanks for the recipe!
    - Katie at http://www.ohshineon.com

33. esther posted on November 17, 2011 at 4:48 am (#)

DROOL.

34. Carole posted on June 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm (#)

It is Food on Friday time at Carole’s Chatter. This week it is all about cheese. It would be great if you would link this post in to Food on Friday