Blueberry Pancake Donuts with Bacon

There is a small donut shop called Blue Collar Joe’s in Daleville, Virginia that has the best donuts I’ve ever had in my life.

Last year, I had a pink lemonade donut and a buffalo chicken wrap (yes, the perfect combination) after kayaking down the James River, and I’ve been thinking about them ever since.

How could you forget a place that makes a Christmas Tree out of donuts, or that serves orange and cream “dreamsicle” donuts?

You can order the brown bag combo: a wrap, a donut, a bag of chips and a drink.  It doesn’t get much better than that.

After an early morning out and about on Black Friday we stopped at Blue Collar Joe’s (since I could not stop talking about it.)

It was everything I remembered it was, a little donuts oasis out in the country.

This year I tried the Blueberry Pancake Breakfast donut.  It has bacon on top … drool.

Now I will be thinking about this donut all year … and maybe even the rest of my life.

We saw another family coming in as we were heading out, a little girl with blonde pigtails and her grandpa, both smiling ear to ear.

Blue Collar Joe’s has the magic. The magic that makes grandpa just as excited about his lunch as his granddaughter.

That is why this note posted on their door broke my heart…

Here is to hoping we can fix our economy, so we don’t have to continue saying goodbye to magical small businesses that create these kind of memories.

12 Responses to “Blueberry Pancake Donuts with Bacon”

1. LoveFayexoxo posted on November 27, 2011 at 5:25 pm (#)

those donuts are heavvvvenly! I want to eat them all!!

LoveFaye xoxo

2. Ericka Andersen posted on November 27, 2011 at 6:54 pm (#)

How have you never mentioned this place to me? OMG. I want to go there NOW!

3. Sandra posted on November 27, 2011 at 10:31 pm (#)

Oh wow…what a divine looking donuts:)) thanks for sharing, now I will think about them all night:)))

4. Amalia posted on November 27, 2011 at 10:46 pm (#)

My mouth is watering, I must have a donut now! Those donuts look amazing!!

5. Kiri W. posted on November 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm (#)

WOW. That looks like a really, really special kind of place!

6. Kim Bee posted on November 28, 2011 at 3:12 am (#)

Everything looks so delicious. I am so sorry they are closing up. The economy sure has been rough the last few years. My hubs was in the auto industry and got hit hard. Just hoping his new fancy engineering degree changes all that. Lol!

7. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on November 28, 2011 at 4:10 am (#)

Bacon makes everything better! So sad they are closing :(

8. momdecuisine.net posted on November 28, 2011 at 8:57 am (#)

Those doughnuts look fantastic! I bet the bacon is what really put them over the top. Sometimes those little hole-in-the-wall’s are the best places, and it’s always a shame when they can’t stay open. Great post!

9. Professor Vegetable posted on November 28, 2011 at 4:55 pm (#)

It’s too sad that economic down turn means more chain store and less local businesses. You would think that it would be the opposite.

10. Erica posted on November 28, 2011 at 7:38 pm (#)

That’s really too bad. I hate it when neighbourhood gems are forced to close or, worse, are replaced by a Starbucks or some other chain…

11. TheBeautyFile posted on November 30, 2011 at 6:03 pm (#)

That’s a CRAZY combo, but I’d LOVE to try!!!

12. Jen posted on December 3, 2011 at 5:17 pm (#)

Ooh… Christmas tree donuts!