Strawberry Jello Shots in Mini Chocolate Bowls

I kind of feel like if aliens made jello shots on Mars this is what they would look like.

But, either way guess what?  I’ve discovered you can  get jello to harden in chocolate without it melting and falling apart.

Now …. can you cut them into perfect slices? No, not really … but the chunks are still really pretty.  I actually think I would rather serve the chunks over the bowls!

Next time I am going to stick with the smaller bowls (the bigger ones break to easily) and I want to try raspberry jello!

Shopping List
1 cup vodka (I used the rest of my bottle of Pinacle Whipped)
1, 3 oz. box strawberry Jello
1 bag chocolate candy melts
Wilton Dessert Dome Candy Mold

(For a kid friendly non-alcoholic version just use cold water instead of vodka)

1. Follow the instructions on these Wilton candy molds from Michaels using any flavor or color Wilton Candy Melt (which you can also purchase at Michaels) I used dark chocolate. After you make the molds put them in the freezer for about 5 minutes to really stiffen them up.

Tip: If your bowls crack just glue them back together with some more melted chocolate.

2. Bring one cup water to a boil and add your jello flavor of choice. After it comes to a boil and all the jello is combined, turn off your heat and let it sit until it’s just warm.

3. Add your cup of vodka to the jello and water stir and pour into a cup with a spout. Let it sit until the jello is room temperature. It won’t harden in that time. (About 45 minutes)

4. Remove your chocolate bowls from the freezer. Let sit for 5 minutes. If they are too cold they will crack easily.

5. Place your chocolate bowls into a cupcake tin to keep them steady. Pour your jello mixture into the bowls SLOWLY and carefully.

6. Refrigerate over night. To make into chunks wait until the jello is set, run a knife under hot water and then carefully chop the bowls in half.

P.S. Foodbuzz and — all my favorite people (you) — nominated me for a Foodbuzz award in the “Most Valuable Foodie” category. MVF! I like the sound of that. Voting is only open for the rest of the week, vote here. Thank you a million times!

For featuring on your website please make sure to contact thatssomichelle@gmail.com

45 Responses to “Strawberry Jello Shots in Mini Chocolate Bowls”

1. Anonymous posted on October 12, 2011 at 2:51 am (#)

Did you write this after eating some shots: 1 3-oz. box strawberry vodka? LOL!

2. Michelle O posted on October 12, 2011 at 2:58 am (#)

It says one, three oz. box. I will double up the spacing for you! Youre right it could look deceiving.

3. Tiffany posted on October 12, 2011 at 3:10 am (#)

HELLO—- JELLO! YUM! :D

4. esther posted on October 12, 2011 at 3:24 am (#)

you have this wonderful way of making me want liquor. i’m still thinking about your caramel apple shots.

5. momdecuisine posted on October 12, 2011 at 3:24 am (#)

Those are great! Another great jello shot, Michelle. I’m telling you, I want to have a party just so I can make all of your jello shots!!!

6. Baker Street posted on October 12, 2011 at 3:27 am (#)

Holy Moly! I would love some! Excellent party idea!

7. Charlotte posted on October 12, 2011 at 3:36 am (#)

Jello shots on Mars FTW. I love your shot art!!!

8. janet@cupcakestocaviar posted on October 12, 2011 at 3:49 am (#)

Ya know… I don’t drink much normally but following your blog makes me want to, Michelle. :-P These sound so yummy!

9. WhatsForDinner posted on October 12, 2011 at 3:58 am (#)

One of these days I will have a teenager free party and I will make your jello shots. They all look amazing.

10. Ann posted on October 12, 2011 at 4:33 am (#)

AWESOME! I like the chunks better, too. I bet they were delicious!

• JUST CARMEN replied on November 10th, 2013 at 3:34 am

why wait, make them and hide them well

11. Kim Bee posted on October 12, 2011 at 5:45 am (#)

Very cool. I am not allowed alcohol but can totally appreciate the beauty of these things. They look incredible.

12. Tina posted on October 12, 2011 at 9:05 am (#)

These are so eye catching! You did a great job and using chocolate cups was a genius idea. Great post.

13. Emily posted on October 12, 2011 at 12:41 pm (#)

these just look beyond dangerous. I know i cant begin to eat these because i wont stop!

14. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on October 12, 2011 at 1:01 pm (#)

You need to write a jello shot book! These look so good! I like the chunks better too!

15. RavieNomNoms posted on October 12, 2011 at 1:21 pm (#)

You are so awesome! Your jello shots are always so cute and creative

16. Ali posted on October 12, 2011 at 7:43 pm (#)

Looks yummy!! love the presentation, so nice. The pics are also so great. Jellos coming right away!!

17. Curry and Comfort posted on October 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm (#)

Wow, these are fantastic. I love the flavor combination here.. the sour and sweet. Yum!! :)

18. Natalie posted on October 13, 2011 at 1:21 am (#)

This looks beyond amazing. I love jello shots and I love chocolate, this would be the perfect party idea!

19. Parsley Sage posted on October 13, 2011 at 1:15 pm (#)

And this is why I voted for you :)

20. Julie posted on October 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm (#)

Very pretty! You should try to make white chocolate ones with pink jello or lime jello. They would really pop! OOOOhhhh, white chocolate with lime jello for St. Patty’s Day!

21. Caroline posted on October 13, 2011 at 5:50 pm (#)

What a really good idéa! I have a party comming up. I just have to make these!

22. Mars posted on October 17, 2011 at 6:39 am (#)

I’m not a drinker but I would totally make this for a party!

23. jacamaca posted on October 17, 2011 at 9:22 pm (#)

Kako je ovo divna ideja, jako mi se dopada mila :)

24. theaccidentalcook.net posted on October 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm (#)

I love these. I love creative jello shots, and my friends really enjoy it when I bring them to parties. Thanks!

25. Katie posted on October 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm (#)

Oh my goodness, these are so cool! Chocolate, jello, shots…it’s a glorious combo! ;)

26. *Nickel* posted on December 26, 2011 at 12:37 am (#)

These look absolutely DELICIOUS! If you are a fan of shots, take a look at the SPICE CAKE BATTER SHOTS on my page http://berthachurch.blogspot.com/2011/12/12-days-of-cookies-and-cocktails-day-8.html

27. Lizzie P. posted on January 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm (#)

So you can also make the chocolate cups with water balloons and skip the step that requires the molds! I couldn’t find the molds at Michael’s, but this works so well because you can make them any size and you can make a million at one time! Thanks for an amazing recipe!

• Anonymous replied on March 30th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

how would that work? i would love to make my own.

• Brenda Lynn replied on April 3rd, 2012 at 10:43 am

What a great combination!! Very inventive idea!

28. Anonymous posted on February 5, 2012 at 2:41 am (#)

they sell chocolate cordial cups at certain stores. every year i do a chocolate covered strawberry and champagne jello shot for new years eve. people love them.

29. Lawrence P.Silva posted on February 11, 2012 at 3:12 am (#)

Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this web site.
    Schiek 540 Platinum Lifting Gloves – One Year Warranty!

30. Anonymous posted on April 5, 2012 at 5:55 pm (#)

Thanks for the recipe – i’m making Milwaukee Brewer colored ones right now. Blue bowls with yellow jello and then vice versa. I’m taking them to Opening Day – hope they turn out!

• Anonymous replied on April 5th, 2012 at 7:04 pm

You are right, the large bowls break almost instantly. I’ll try to glue them together with melted wafers.

• Michelle O replied on April 5th, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Keeo at it! Let me know how they turn out. It’s def. a process you have to be delicate about. Good idea with the colored chocolates. Love it :)

• Anonymous replied on April 5th, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Also, I used a tablespoon measure to pour the jello into the molds – it worked great, none cracked or melted.

31. Anonymous posted on April 14, 2012 at 1:34 am (#)

Looks Fabulous….. but might be able to put a different ingredient in instead of the Vodka or might just take the Vodka out and just have Chocolate and Jello! Either way is Fabulous! :)

32. Anonymous posted on April 25, 2012 at 10:07 am (#)

you could call these chocolate covered cherry shots

33. Anonymous posted on April 25, 2012 at 10:08 am (#)

if you used cherry

34. Cheryl posted on April 25, 2012 at 7:33 pm (#)

Now THAT looks amazing!!!

35. JayLijahsMommy posted on May 28, 2012 at 5:33 am (#)

Omg.. sounds yummy, I am going to try this with cherry hello and a cherry, close it up so it looks like a truffel or chocolate covered cherry

36. Anonymous posted on May 29, 2012 at 10:23 pm (#)

what molds did you use? I don’t understand how you kept them hollow….

37. Joan posted on June 6, 2012 at 10:21 pm (#)

I made these with raspberry jello and dark chocolate. They were delicious! The chocolate cups would break very easily though. Good if you are making a small amount because they are a bit of work! I have cup shaped molds and I “painted” the inside of the cups with the chocolate. (using a paint brush) I got the mold at Michaels. They have these bowl molds there too. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

38. JennJennPA posted on January 7, 2013 at 9:43 pm (#)

If you have balloons at home you don’t need a mold :) there is a way to blow up balloons (not large you can use the small waterballoons too) and you melt the chocolate and can dip them into the chocolate (make sure the chocolate is liquid but not overly hot or the balloons will pop) and you just rest them on wax paper and when dry u can dip them again to make them thicker, once they set you can just pop the Balloon and tada. Chocolate cups or bowls depending on how big you want them! Also if you make them large like into small bowls they are great tobfind with berries or I’ve cream and you can just eat the whole thing!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Strawberry Jello Shots in Mini Chocolate Bowls! ⋆ The NEW N!FYmagThe NEW N!FYmag