Red Hot Candy Apple Jello Shots (in real apples)

While trying to come up with more ideas for fall party treats, I realized I may have been a little selfish recently in only making caramel  apple jello shots

While I prefer caramel apples, there are others (like my boyfriend) who like candy apples better …

I think they are tasty, but they get stuck in my teeth and that drives me crazy…  they sure are glossy and pretty though.

They make me think of carnivals and circuses, cinnamon red hot candies,  nail polish and sports cars.

This time of year you don’t have to wait for a carnival or circus to eat one, along with caramel apples you can find them prepackaged at the grocery store with coconut flakes sprinkled on top. Yum.

For these Red Hot Candy Apple Jello Shots all you need are small red apples, cherry Jello and Goldschläger (cinnamon schnapps). For a kid friendly non-alcoholic version just use cold water mixed with a tablespoon of cinnamon instead of vodka.

It really does taste just like a candy apple! Here are some tips to remember when making jello shots in apples:

They will brown a little overnight while the jello hardens (I found the red apples browned more quickly) despite the lemon juice trick. Don’t worry though, when you slice them before serving, you can slice off the outside layer that has browned the most, leaving you only with fresh white apple!

Also keep an eye on leaking apples. I always have left over jello, don’t toss it after you fill the apples. Wait about 20 minutes to see if any have leaked and then use your reserve to refill the apple and level them out.

Buy small apples. Look for the small apples they sell in the bags. You want your slices to be bite sized and regular sized apples will be too big.

Shopping List (makes about 30-40 slices/shots)
5 small red apples
1 cup water
1 cup Goldschläger (cinnamon schnapps)
1 package cherry Jello (3 oz. package)

1. Half and hollow out  apples cutting them from the stem down. I used a melon baller to hollow the apples and it worked well. After hollowing them squeeze some lemon juice on top to reduce browning.

2. Boil one cup of water in a sauce pan, add jello and stir until it dissolves. Turn off the heat on your burner.

3. When your mixture is just warm, add the cinnamon schnapps.

4. With your apples arranged so they fit tightly and secure on a cookie sheet or in cupcake tins, pour your  jello mixture into your apples. Refrigerate overnight.

5. Cut halves in quarters and those quarters in half again. Trim the slices that have browned with a paring knife. Serve immediately.

For featuring on your website please make sure to contact thatssomichelle@gmail.com

21 Responses to “Red Hot Candy Apple Jello Shots (in real apples)”

1. The Mom Chef posted on October 23, 2011 at 6:11 pm (#)

Somehow I missed the caramel apple shots so I’m going to have to go back and look. I’m a fan of caramel, which is why I choose that kind of apple, but the stuck-in-the-teeth thing drives me crazy too. These look fantastic though. I’m definitely going to give them a try since we all love cinnamon in any form. Well, that and booze.

2. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on October 23, 2011 at 6:42 pm (#)

Oh, there you go again!! Love the candy apple idea! Keep ‘em coming!

3. Jenn @ Baking Jenn's Blog posted on October 23, 2011 at 6:44 pm (#)

These look really yummy! Cool idea.

4. My 2 Pesos posted on October 23, 2011 at 7:15 pm (#)

Look delicious!!

5. LoveFayexoxo posted on October 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm (#)

I LOVE THIS!!! what a great idea!!!

LoveFaye xoxo

6. Dzoli posted on October 24, 2011 at 12:43 am (#)

This would be great idea and look awesome on any party table;)

7. Sean Marie posted on October 24, 2011 at 1:32 am (#)

Hey Michelle, it’s okay. Hope you’re feeling better. :)

8. Erin posted on October 24, 2011 at 2:10 am (#)

We need to hang out together! You have the most amazing shots!! I LOVE this one. I am not sure which I love more this or the caramel apple, but I would definitely do a taste test to be sure :)

9. Anne@frommysweetheart posted on October 24, 2011 at 2:11 am (#)

Michelle…you are the QUEEN of jello shots! I love how you use the actual fruit as the cups! These look awesome. Love the cinnamon schnapps! And good tip about saving the leftover jello!

10. janet@cupcakestocaviar posted on October 24, 2011 at 4:45 am (#)

Heh!! These are so cute, Michelle! I agree with Anne; you are the queen of Jello Shots. We need to make you a jello shot crown :-P

11. momdecuisine posted on October 24, 2011 at 10:36 am (#)

Ahh, another great jello shot!

12. RavieNomNoms posted on October 24, 2011 at 2:09 pm (#)

You make amazing shots seriously!

13. Dee at Deelicious Sweets posted on October 25, 2011 at 4:01 am (#)

I knew as soon as I saw the picture in my google reader this was your post. I said to myelf “Oh, that is so Michelle!” Oh hey, look at that :) These look and sound so dangerously yummy!

14. Parsley Sage posted on October 25, 2011 at 1:37 pm (#)

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I’m totally digging that you used real apples. Jello Shot Genius :)

Buzzed!

15. Regan Wilbur posted on October 26, 2011 at 11:58 pm (#)

Why did you use more apples in the Caramel apple shots but less schnapps and less water? They yield the same amount of slices, but you use 5 apples here, 2 cups total of liquids and 10 apples to 1 cup of liquids in the other recipe.

Thanks!

16. Michelle O posted on October 27, 2011 at 1:58 am (#)

Hi Reagan

You will see that with the caramel apple shots I use a packet of Knox gelatin, this calls for different amounts of liquid. I also use coconut milk which is a bit thicker and sugar and a bunch of other things. It’s a homemade gelatin recipe.

These red hot candy apple shots use simple “jello brand” gelatin that calls for just one cup water and one cup booze. That’s why.

Your question about the amounts of apples is a good one, technically if you did the math, with the halves and then quarters and then more halves of the caramel recipe you could make 80 shots with 10 apples, the trick is like I mentioned above though that you are slicing to perfection. Nothing is exact really because you are creating the perfect slice by trimming off the brown slices.

It’s a bit of creative endeavor, but totally worth it. You will see when you give it a shot! :) No pun intended.

Feel free to email me with any other questions. Hope you get this response and it helps.

17. Jennie posted on October 31, 2011 at 7:50 am (#)

These are totally awesome!!! They almost look too pretty to eat!

18. lacy posted on November 3, 2011 at 3:27 pm (#)

omg love love love as usual! i need to try ALL of your jello shot recipes.

19. Shannon posted on December 7, 2011 at 9:15 pm (#)

I plan on serving these at my girls Christmas party this year! Just a thought… maybe a question… say you got big apples, cut just the top off and was able to scoop out the insides, do you think pouring the liquid jello then sealing it would work to prevent browning? Same goes with any of the fruits you fill with delicious alcoholic goodness… :)

20. Anonymous posted on December 31, 2011 at 4:37 am (#)

Just finished making these with cinnamon WHISKEY, they are setting up really nice :)

21. Anonymous posted on May 16, 2012 at 12:00 am (#)

Love the ideas. Pineapple juice will prevent browning as well and doesn’t make the apples sour.