Pumpkin Cream Cheese

I have to force myself to eat breakfast every morning.  If it were up to me I would simply drink coffee until it was time for lunch, but we all know that skipping breakfast tells your body to store more fat  (no thank you!)  so I bought some bagels this week to bring to work.

Just like everyone else in the United States I also bought some canned pumpkin  …  Have you ever had pumpkin cream cheese?

If not,  you should.  It’s velvety smooth  and  By adding more pumpkin than cream cheese you are cutting the fat content of your breakfast in half!

Two table spoons pumpkin,  one table spoon cream cheese,  some spices and voila!  I’m going to make this at the beach for our Halloween extravaganza too.  I hope everyone doesn’t get all “pumpkin”ed out.  Impossible.

Although, there is rumor of a pumpkin shortage …  now that would be a scary Halloween.

Shopping List (enough for over a dozen bagels)
8 oz. cream cheese
15 oz can organic pumpkin
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 tea spoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger

In a bowl mix half of your can of pumpkin with 4 tablespoons cream cheese (always feel free to taste test to your liking adding more of less pumpkin or cream cheese) add your honey and spices and mix.

When all is combined spread on top of of toast or a bagel.

30 Responses to “Pumpkin Cream Cheese”

1. Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny posted on October 5, 2011 at 2:11 pm (#)

What a great idea, this sounds amazing!! :)

2. vicki posted on October 5, 2011 at 2:12 pm (#)

That looks fantastic! Just to let you know the recipe says cream cheese twice.

3. Michelle O posted on October 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm (#)

haha! Thanks Vikki! It’s suppose to say pumpkin! On that now :)

4. Michelle O posted on October 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm (#)

*correction* “Vicki” sorry :)

5. Kim @ keller-creative posted on October 5, 2011 at 2:25 pm (#)

Yum! I always just buy the Philly pumpkin cream cheese. I guess I should start making my own!

6. Grubarazzi posted on October 5, 2011 at 4:06 pm (#)

I can’t find canned pumpkin anywhere. It’s making me loco, especially after viewing this… it’s like a bloggers form of torture :)

7. Ruby Girl posted on October 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm (#)

what a great recipe! this looks delicious! (PS-Want to win a pair of Cents of Style shoes of your choice? Enter on my blog today: http://www.rubygirlblog.com)

8. Kitchen with Kate posted on October 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm (#)

Love this! I’m a breakfast-hater too and have to fight the urge to pass on it every day. Thanks for providing a great breakfast option for the rotation. I may try this out and feature it soon if it’s okay with you?

9. Tina posted on October 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm (#)

Great way to add some spice to your morning bagel. I will need to try-yum!

10. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted on October 5, 2011 at 6:45 pm (#)

I’m stealing this to use in a recipe, muahhaah :) Looks amazing Michelle!

11. Kim - Liv Life posted on October 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm (#)

Trader Joe’s sells something like this, but I’ve never actually tried it… I think I just might be hooked! My daughter adores pumpkin, and I love finding ways to include a few extra nutrients in her diet. Nicely done!
    And a big congrats on the Foodbuzz Award!!! Woo HOo!!!!

12. Jennifer posted on October 5, 2011 at 9:09 pm (#)

brilliant way to make cream cheese a little healthier and even more delicious…i’m gonna try this asap…thanks!

13. Sarah Catherine posted on October 5, 2011 at 11:09 pm (#)

I saw something like this is Food Network magazine and I’ve been dying to try it! Now, pumpkin bagels with pumpkin cream cheese would be incredible :)

14. Meeling posted on October 5, 2011 at 11:50 pm (#)

Yum!

15. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on October 6, 2011 at 12:31 am (#)

I just made some of this the other day except I didn’t add the honey. It was so so good! I need to make more!!!

16. Curry and Comfort posted on October 6, 2011 at 1:05 am (#)

What a lovely Fall and Festive recipe! I bet this would even taste good on my arm. “nom,nom,nom” :) I also have trouble eating breakfast….but I would definitely stop for this creamy goodness on a bagel. :)

17. Anne@frommysweetheart posted on October 6, 2011 at 1:25 am (#)

Michelle…I love flavored cream cheese but don’t think I’ve ever tried pumpkin. The color is beautiful and I bet it’s a little sweet and savory! Great idea for cutting the fat too!

18. Kim Bee posted on October 6, 2011 at 1:43 am (#)

This is fabulous Michelle. My son would love this one.

19. the food dude posted on October 6, 2011 at 2:04 am (#)

Pumpkin and cream cheese sounds like a great combination! I always think pumpkin adds a very homey and comforting feel to any dish.

20. Elies_Lie posted on October 6, 2011 at 2:58 am (#)

a simple way and another way to enjoy pumpkin and cream cheese!
    Tq for sharing the recipe michelle! ;)

21. Crystal Lee posted on October 6, 2011 at 4:24 am (#)

Just bought bagels and cream cheese today. I am sure I have a can of punkin around here somewhere. :P Looks like a good breakfast for me in the morning! Thanks girl!
    Crystal
    Memphis, TN

22. esther posted on October 6, 2011 at 4:35 am (#)

BRIILLIANT. you are brilliant. i need to do this.

23. jensfreshandfabulous.com posted on October 6, 2011 at 4:43 am (#)

Amazingness!

24. Parsley Sage posted on October 6, 2011 at 11:01 am (#)

Nice! I have not had pumpkin cream cheese before but I certainly will be in the very near future :) I made some pumpkin dump cake on Monday…I bet it would be great on that too. There is no such thing as “pumpkin”ed out :) Buzzed!

25. jillian m. posted on October 6, 2011 at 12:02 pm (#)

Yes! Thank you for this recipe! I’m definitely going to give this one a try. I’m always looking for new breakfast ideas.

26. Desi posted on October 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm (#)

This looks fantastic! I really want this on a bagel tomorrow morning for breakfast!!! I just buzzed this on foodbuzz :)

27. Heather of Kitchen Concoctions posted on October 7, 2011 at 6:46 pm (#)

I have been eating homemade pumpkin cream cheese on “everything” for a week straight! Love it!

PS
    I just voted for you on the for the Foodbuzz blog awards! Hope you win!

28. Jason Phelps posted on October 7, 2011 at 7:55 pm (#)

I feel so lucky that I am able to get fresh pumpkin this time of year. I bake it and then freeze it for use well into the off season. I try to not buy canned if possible, and with a shortage afoot probably a good thing, not that there is anything wrong with it of course.

The pumpkin recipes all over the place are getting my inspiration going to make something myself!

Jason

29. LiveLoveNYC posted on November 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm (#)

sounds really yummy! i am SUCH a breakfast person, i wake up starving haha.

this would probably be really good on a slice of pumpkin bread!

30. cheese posted on November 5, 2011 at 3:12 pm (#)

Amazing!! I will certainly try making this one of these days..i love anything with cheese ..and this goes beyond expectations! Thanks for sharing such an incredible recipe!