Pumpkin Ale Sundae

I have a really hard time throwing away my food magazines.  I found this recipe in a Food Network Magazine from November 2009.  Food just never goes out of style ya know?

I tweaked their “Guinness sundae” into a pumpkin ale sundae.  I’m not really a beer drinker, but there is something about drinking “pumpkin” beer  (on top of ice cream!)  that makes it sound much better.

Not to mention that it’s beer reduced in sugar and butter … how can you say no to that?

By the way, it’s FREEZING in Virginia/DC right now.  Did a cold front move into your neighborhood last night too?  It’s like we skipped fall and it’s winter already.  Not cool.

Shopping List (makes at-least 5 sundaes)
1 bottle (12 oz.) Pumpkin ale
1/2 cup Brown sugar
4 tablespoons Butter
1 teaspoon Cocoa powder
Vanilla ice cream
Shortbread cookies

Bring one pumpkin ale or other stout beer and 1/2 cup brown to a simmer in a saucepan over low heat and cook until syrupy, (watch carefully it over boils easily from the carbonation) about 15 minutes.

Whisk in 4 tablespoons diced cold butter and then cocoa powder until combined. Let cool.

Drizzle over vanilla or butter your choice of ice cream and serve with shortbread cookies.

32 Responses to “Pumpkin Ale Sundae”

1. Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) posted on October 2, 2011 at 10:24 pm (#)

This sounds absolutely incredible and SO easy. Love it!

2. The Culinary Lens posted on October 2, 2011 at 10:25 pm (#)

I am bookmarking this for the Guinness version. I love this idea

3. Sabrina-eat.drink.and be merry. posted on October 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm (#)

I was just looking through the same issue! I never throw them away! haha I LOVE this! sounds amazing! I love caramel baileys over vanilla ice cream!

4. Ericka Andersen posted on October 2, 2011 at 10:53 pm (#)

Looks great my dear! Of course I would LOVE it. Which reminds me, I need you to make be bananas foster sometime soon. You should do a post on that! :)

5. Tina posted on October 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm (#)

ooh-this does look delicious and I love the idea of pumpkin ale better than Guinness! Great post.

6. Wanna Be A Country Cleaver posted on October 2, 2011 at 11:59 pm (#)

I’m positively digging the pumpkin ale thing right now. I just made a Pumpkin Beer Bread that was fabulous. Everything pumpkin and beer rocks!! ~Megan

7. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on October 3, 2011 at 2:00 am (#)

Ohhh, this sounds so wonderful!!

8. Kim Bee posted on October 3, 2011 at 3:08 am (#)

Michelle this is such a manly sundae. Love it. You seriously threw out food magazines? I know I need to as well but it’s so hard. I have all my horse ones too. It’s a nightmare. Freezing here too. Like turn the heat on cold, I refuse to do it though. Too early. Lol!

9. Anne@frommysweetheart posted on October 3, 2011 at 3:14 am (#)

Hi Michelle! I know…what is up with our weather? This rainy weekend has got me feeling so blah. But this pumpkin ale sundae will perk me right up! I would never have thought to put beer and ice cream together…but why not??? Especially with the reduction! I love this unique recipe!

10. Hester aka The Chef Doc posted on October 3, 2011 at 3:18 am (#)

What an autumnal thought :-) Hooray for reduced calories, right? This looks yummy!

11. the food dude posted on October 3, 2011 at 3:33 am (#)

I’m a fan of Guinness, but really curious about pumpkin ale. This sundae looks great!

12. Ann posted on October 3, 2011 at 3:37 am (#)

This looks fabulous! I’ve buzzed it…what a GREAT idea! (I have the same trouble – magazines are stacked EVERYWHERE!)

13. Foodness Gracious posted on October 3, 2011 at 5:28 am (#)

Sounds amazing and the cold front sucks but we still have a crazy warm front here in Cali, what’s up with our weather??
    Take care…

14. Sarah Catherine posted on October 3, 2011 at 10:21 am (#)

It is definitly cold, rainy, and {slightly} depressing in western mass. I can totes deal with wearing cute boots and sweaters, but the rainy weekend/week is not cool. I love this idea to infuse the beer with sugar and butter! This is a must try.

15. Curry and Comfort posted on October 3, 2011 at 10:56 am (#)

I never throw cooking magazines out either. What an inventive recipe to add beer to a sundae. Thanks for sharing this one with us. :)

16. Gay posted on October 3, 2011 at 2:34 pm (#)

I have cooking magazines I brought all the way from the Philippines when I moved to Thailand. I love this sundae of yours, anything that dresses up vanilla ice cream is love…

17. icancookthat posted on October 3, 2011 at 2:40 pm (#)

I want this. Right now!! :)

18. Meeling posted on October 3, 2011 at 4:39 pm (#)

Delicious!!

19. Cassie @ Bake Your Day posted on October 3, 2011 at 7:23 pm (#)

This is so fun. My husband will swoon over this idea!

20. Grubarazzi posted on October 3, 2011 at 7:56 pm (#)

It’s freezing in Baltimore too. Maybe the beer in this dish will keep us warm :)

21. kita posted on October 4, 2011 at 2:27 am (#)

I have been going through my amazing pile of magazines and ripping out the recipes I want! I just got through the Food Networks – whew. Now to figure out what to do with the piles and piles of pages.
    This looks like a great find. Digging the little shortbread cookies.
    Yes! It’s freezing here too – Officially turned the heat on in my car on the way home!

22. Elies_Lie posted on October 4, 2011 at 6:05 am (#)

Congratz for the top 9 on foodbuzz michelle!
    Yummy dessert & great idea with the pumpkin! ;)

23. Pistachio and Rose posted on October 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm (#)

I also have a really really hard time getting rid of cookery magazines, there like little cookbooks really! That pumpkin ale sundae sounds amazing!

24. Curt posted on October 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm (#)

Wow, does this ever sound good.

25. Jason Phelps posted on October 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm (#)

I am going to be trying this real soon. We just finished a second round of fall & pumpkin beers up in New England and we’ve got a couple that might work well this way.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Jason

26. Natalie posted on October 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm (#)

Pumpkin Ale is the best! Wow this recipe is right up my alley, thanks :P

27. Teri posted on October 4, 2011 at 3:46 pm (#)

This sounds delicious! I think that I’ll make this topping and one with a Double Chocolate Stout and have a little taste test. Hmmm, some gingersnaps and dorie greenspan’s chocolate crinkle cookies too! Yes, it is raining and cold here in NorCal – we barely had a summer – the East Coast claimed all the heat for itself – my tomatoes were pathetic this year.

28. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes posted on October 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm (#)

I’m with you on the magazines (my house looks like a doctors office). I’m with you on the cold weather (it’s only 75 degrees here in Phoenix today!). And I’m DEFINITELY with you on these sundaes! What a treat and a lovely one at that. Sounds so delicious – congrats on another well-deserved Top 9!!

P.S. Thank you for allowing non-Google people to post comments on your blog! I’ve been hoping that you would! :)

29. RavieNomNoms posted on October 4, 2011 at 5:57 pm (#)

This tweak looks awesome to me! Completely appropriate for the fall. Looks amazing!

30. Christine's Pantry posted on October 4, 2011 at 9:47 pm (#)

Congrats on Foodbuzz top 9!

31. Made in Sonoma posted on October 5, 2011 at 3:53 am (#)

I like this idea much more than a stout sundae.

We also have rain and cold weather here! Totally summer to winter in no time at all. Where’s fall?!

32. Priscilla - She's Cookin' posted on October 6, 2011 at 4:39 am (#)

Congrats on the Top 9! Beer and ice cream go together amazingly well! I was surprised the first time I had a Guiness float!