Hot Buttered Apple Cider Rum

I know what you’re thinking “Butter in a drink?  Where is Paula Deen?”

Well the truth is she inspired this one.  After I saw her cinnamon candy sticks and melting butter pads in this recipe from an old Food Network Magazine  I had to come up with my own version.

Mine is a bit stronger because I added butterscotch schnapps for a caramel flavor as well.

Soon I will be carving pumpkins with friends on our deck at the beach house with the sound of cold, autumn ocean waves behind me.

And how about drinking these hot toddy’s on top of the widows watch while star gazing at night? Yes, I think that will do just fine … Doesn’t Halloween at the beach sound magical?

I might head over to Party City on my lunch break tomorrow and pick up some fake cobwebs and orange blinking lights for the house.

Counting down the days.

Shopping List (makes about 3 cups, depending on mug size)
2 cups apple cider
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 stick of butter and 3 thin butter pads
1/2 cup of rum
1/2 cup butterscotch schnapps

Warm up your cider in a sauce pan until very hot, turn heat to low and add your sugar and butter. When butter has melted pour in your rum and schnapps and stir.

Serve in mugs with a cinnamon candy or green apple candy stick and top with a pad of butter.

Drink responsibly, this is a strong toddy.

22 Responses to “Hot Buttered Apple Cider Rum”

1. Charlotte posted on October 21, 2011 at 1:48 am (#)

Oh. My. Lanta. I’ve never been drawn to this style of drink before but this recipe sounds unreal! Can’t wait to go pick up some rum!!!

2. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on October 21, 2011 at 2:51 am (#)

Oh, the things you do with alcohol! This sounds like the perfect drink to enjoy on Halloween! Sounds like you have an amazing weekend planned to celebrate!

3. Ann posted on October 21, 2011 at 3:34 am (#)

Wow – this is amazing! You are so talented when it comes to picking the right flavors in a cocktail! Buzzed!

4. Christine's Pantry posted on October 21, 2011 at 4:40 am (#)

Wow! Great drink.

5. Kristin posted on October 21, 2011 at 5:36 am (#)

butter and alcohol wrapped up into one delicious, slurpable package? nothing ever sounded so meant to be…

6. Baker Street posted on October 21, 2011 at 5:52 am (#)

Woah! This is awesome!

7. Dzoli posted on October 21, 2011 at 7:15 am (#)

Like the look of it:)

8. Wendy posted on October 21, 2011 at 8:12 am (#)

This looks and sounds amazing! Also, Halloween at the beach sounds positively magical. ;D

9. Ericka Andersen posted on October 21, 2011 at 11:37 am (#)

Holy butter pats! You’ve done it again, you amazing blogger you :) SO sad I’m not joining for the beachside autumn celebration. Maybe another time…

10. Erin posted on October 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm (#)

Beautiful!

11. Erin posted on October 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm (#)

Yes please, give me one or two! These look amazing. What a great thing to have while carving pumpkins!

12. Amalia posted on October 22, 2011 at 5:37 am (#)

Oh yeah, this is the stuff! What a great idea, I love it :) Your picture are lovely also!

13. Curry and Comfort posted on October 22, 2011 at 11:40 am (#)

Now this is a bit of Fall decadence! What a warm and comforting drink. Congrats on Top 9! :)

14. Natalie posted on October 22, 2011 at 6:42 pm (#)

Looks incredible.

15. Patty H. posted on October 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm (#)

Warm apple cider with rum and butterscotch – – sounds very decadent! Sitting on your deck listening to the ocean waves while enjoying these sounds wonderful!

16. Grubarazzi posted on October 22, 2011 at 11:55 pm (#)

Meeeep! If this were real life that would be me racing to your house and honking the horn so I can come in for this drink. dang, girl.

17. Adele Forbes posted on October 23, 2011 at 1:04 am (#)

I cannot wait to try this…it is cold here in the mountains of NC anyway so it is a must do on my list..thank you so very much for sharing!

18. Parsley Sage posted on October 23, 2011 at 4:12 pm (#)

Hells to the yes! My arteries just seized at this picture. It was awesome. LOVE this recipe :) Can’t wait to see your carved pumpkins!

19. Elyse @The Cultural Dish posted on October 24, 2011 at 1:36 am (#)

I love hot buttered rum so I would definitely like this with the cider! Looks so delicious!

20. esther posted on October 24, 2011 at 6:27 pm (#)

I love me some Paula Deen. She’s so unapologetic. I also love me some butterscotch schnapps, and let’s be real…just alcoholic beverages in general. So this looks like a win!

You’re makin me jealous with your beach stories.

21. BigBearswife posted on November 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm (#)

looks so pretty! I love the color!

22. Jacquelyn Riloff posted on October 8, 2012 at 12:04 am (#)

I love this! What rum do you think works best with this? Thanks~