Gluten Free Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, Party Cookies

Happy Friday before a long weekend everyone! I’d like you to meet my friend Liz from Reston Style, trying out “Reston Style in the Kitchen.” Liz does some amazing things with gluten free ingredients, which I admittedly know nothing about,  but probably should.

I mean soft baked, peanut butter, chocolate chip, gluten free, party cookies? She had me at cookie. Okay, meet Liz:

DSC_0018
Michelle is the nicest friend EVER for letting me show off my party cookies on her blog!

I fell in love with the Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate chip cookie mix when I recreated Michelle’s bacon-chocolate-chip cookies a few months ago.  I also learned that if you follow the recipe on the box you get a fairly good traditional chocolate chip cookie,  BUT if you use egg whites instead of a whole egg you get SOFT BAKED cookies,  which are my favorite!

DSC_0001

Now since my blog, Reston Style, is all about adding a touch of style to your daily life, I decided that these cookies would look (and taste) better with a splash of color! I mean, sprinkles make everything better, right?! And trust me, you will not be able to tell that these cookies are gluten free. My friend (and cookie connoisseur), Reid, thought they were amazing!

DSC_0008

Shopping List: (makes 2 dozen cookies)

Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate chip cookie mix
real vanilla (it’s already GF)
Reeses peanut butter chips (variations – any other extra candy chips)
1 stick of room temperature butter
Carton egg whites (or the whites of 2 eggs)
Colored jimmy sprinkles

Follow the recipe on the back of the box and mix everything together, replacing the egg with 3 tbs of egg whites (or the whites of 2 eggs), add 1/3 of the bag of peanut butter chips and 1/2 the small jar of sprinkles and mix it with your hands in a large bowl (it’s too gooey for a spoon).

Once it’s really mixed, wash your hands and form the cookies into 1/2 inch thick circles. Because of all the butter, they shouldn’t stick to your hands at this point. The smoother you make the dough circles, the prettier your cookies will be since they don’t spread as much as traditional chocolate chip cookies.

Bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove them from the baking sheet right from the oven with a spatula and place them on a cookie rack to cool for at least 5 minutes, then enjoy your super soft baked, gluten free cookies! Store extras in a ziplock for up to a week!

19 Responses to “Gluten Free Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, Party Cookies”

1. Aarthi posted on October 7, 2011 at 5:31 pm (#)

Wow..that looks really delicious…Thanks for the recipe dear..

American Classic Carrot Cake is my post today…

2. Lacy posted on October 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm (#)

These are adorable and I bet they are delicious! Great idea to spruce them up with sprinkles!

3. Ericka Andersen posted on October 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm (#)

My kind of cookie!

4. Kim Bee posted on October 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm (#)

Omgoodness! These look amazing. I just want to reach in and grab one or four.

5. Sarah Catherine posted on October 7, 2011 at 6:09 pm (#)

Wow, these look soooo yummy! Great pictures, and I love the sprinkles!

6. Laura posted on October 7, 2011 at 6:40 pm (#)

These look delicious Liz!! Thanks for sharing Michelle!

7. Heather of Kitchen Concoctions posted on October 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm (#)

Love the egg whites trick for a soft cookie!

8. Meeling posted on October 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm (#)

Yummy deliciousness!!

9. Curry and Comfort posted on October 7, 2011 at 8:07 pm (#)

Talk about some yummy goodness! I love that you added the sprinkles… so festive! Have a great weekend!

10. Emily posted on October 7, 2011 at 9:21 pm (#)

Those look amazing! I am such a sucker for sprinkles. i will have to try these out!

11. Tina posted on October 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm (#)

These do look delicious and definitely party ready! Love the sprinkles in there, thanks for sharing. You two have a wonderful weekend.

12. Ann posted on October 8, 2011 at 5:05 am (#)

Those. Are. Awesome. Cookies! Buzzed!

13. glutenfreesoyfree posted on October 8, 2011 at 12:14 pm (#)

Thanks for sharing these aww-some cookies.

I recently gave in at a wedding to the posh-looking chocolate cake. It had a majestic texture and was consistent throughout and nice to eat. Not to mention the fact that nearly 4 hours afterwards I was thinking I would need the hospital and could hardly walk due to severe joint pain. Sick for 2 weeks afterward (I’m coeliac)

I found a mix from sun flour mills that I plan to order and try soon – their award winning chocolate cake mix. They’re based in Idaho in the USA and the product won first prize in two independent competitions.

The Almost Bourdain blog recently featured a flourless chinese five spice cake recipe which really looked perfect in terms of texture – extremely cake for being flourless and looked fairly easy to make – just need to find the time…

Meanwhile, on the other hand, I recently found a potential cure for those with gluten intolerance and celiac disease – Dr. Wise’s Gluten Relief – I blogged about it at http://wp.me/p1244N-6k

14. Parsley Sage posted on October 8, 2011 at 7:40 pm (#)

Sprinkles TOTALLY make everything better :) Great guest post! Buzzed

15. Katie @ BloomEveryday posted on October 9, 2011 at 4:18 am (#)

I cannot wait to try this! These look perfect for any party or for any occasion – like just wanting to eat it. :)

16. Ally posted on October 9, 2011 at 11:39 am (#)

Love all the color & flavor in these!!
    xo

17. Christine's Pantry posted on October 9, 2011 at 6:24 pm (#)

Congrats on Foodbuzz top 9!

18. Elizabeth posted on October 13, 2011 at 12:47 am (#)

I want those cookies. I want them right now.

19. Jenny posted on February 4, 2012 at 10:35 pm (#)

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made these tonight (we’re having a gluten free super bowl party tomorrow)… and they came out sooo good, I was just going to make the Betty Crocker box, but your tips and additions made them PERFECT!