Brown Sugar and Butter Sweet Potato Cups

How cool would it have been if I had gotten that little meringue whip at the top to form a little heart?

Instead it’s just a squiggle … drat!  Next time (when I make these to impress family members for Thanksgiving) I will remember to be more precise.

Heart or no heart, these little potato cups are awesome.

They are the perfect serving size, kind of like a cupcake, and the brown sugar and butter make the mashed sweet potato decadent while the fluffy sweet meringue seals the deal.

Did I mention they are REALLY easy too?

My next sweet potato adventure will be to duplicate the cinnamon butter that Outback Steak House puts on their sweet potatoes. Has anyone ever had that? It’s sooooooo good.

Shopping List (makes 4 small ramekins)
3 large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 stick butter
2 or 3 egg whites (depending how much meringue you want)
1/2 cup white sugar

Boil sweet potatoes in a large pot for a bout 20-30 minutes or until they are easy pierced with a fork. Remove from the pot and the skin should peel off easily. (Be careful not to burn yourself with the steam)

Slice potatoes into smaller pieces and mash with a potato masher. Add your brown sugar and butter. With an electric mixer beat on medium speed until they are smooth and combined.

Rinse your electric mixer parts and in a separate bowl add your egg whites. Whip on high with the mixer adding the white sugar one teaspoon at a time. Whip until soft white peaks form.

Place mashed sweet potato into the ramekins and top with meringue. Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until the meringue browns at the top. Serve.

33 Responses to “Brown Sugar and Butter Sweet Potato Cups”

1. Julie at Burnt Carrots posted on October 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm (#)

Okay, so my husband will be thanking you! I love sweet potatoes and have them almost every night, but I cook them the same way every time – oven baked fries. Tonight, we will change it up and do these!

2. Grubarazzi posted on October 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm (#)

I just love these! At first, I thought that was marshmallow on top because the meringue is so perfect..hmmm. marshmallow would be good too. I’ll have to remember this recipe come holiday time.

3. Curry and Comfort posted on October 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm (#)

Mmmmm.. this looks absolutely divine! I love the toasted meringue topping, it’s so elegant. :)

4. Steph posted on October 25, 2011 at 5:43 pm (#)

These sound amazing! I love that it’s a new take on sweet potatoes. And why have I not made meringue for sweet potatoes yet?!!! YUM

5. Emily posted on October 25, 2011 at 6:18 pm (#)

I am so obsessed with sweet potatoes I have to try this it looks amazing!!

6. janet@cupcakestocaviar posted on October 25, 2011 at 6:50 pm (#)

Yum! What a great way to make it feel like Thanksgiving every day. I love these Michelle!

7. Tina posted on October 25, 2011 at 7:25 pm (#)

These are perfect for the holidays. My family’s taste for a lot of holiday food varies, so these individual portions can be made for those that enjoy sweet potatoes. I am one of them and I love how you topped these-genius. I will need to try this-yum!

8. Made in Sonoma posted on October 25, 2011 at 8:33 pm (#)

mmm anything sweet potato makes me happy!

9. Jenny Eisen posted on October 25, 2011 at 9:18 pm (#)

Its almost like a personal little sweet potato casserole. With the marshmallows on top. Mmmm. Now I want thanksgiving to be today. ha ha

10. Dzoli posted on October 25, 2011 at 9:29 pm (#)

What a great idea with meringue top:)

11. Jenn @ Baking Jenn's Blog posted on October 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm (#)

Thank goodness for the fall season if for no other reason than sweet potatoes dishes :)

12. Tammy posted on October 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm (#)

Hi Michelle, did you use a 4oz or 6oz ramekin. Thank you.

13. Lauren at Keep It Sweet posted on October 25, 2011 at 10:44 pm (#)

Those look delicious and so cute in the ramekins!

14. Michelle O posted on October 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm (#)

Hi Tammy! They were 4.5 oz ramekins. Just like little cupcakes :)

15. Amalia posted on October 26, 2011 at 1:30 am (#)

I love sweet potatoes, they are so versatile! This looks like a wonderful recipe, they look so delicious :)

16. Danielle posted on October 26, 2011 at 1:39 am (#)

This seems like an absolutely great alternative to sweet potatoes and marshmallows for the holidays!

17. momdecuisine posted on October 26, 2011 at 2:03 am (#)

This looks like a great alternative to sweet potato pie! Love the heart too, it’s very cute :)

18. Ann posted on October 26, 2011 at 4:38 am (#)

What a GREAT alternative to do meringue on top of sweet potatoes instead of other toppings….brilliant!

19. Rosemary posted on October 26, 2011 at 11:16 am (#)

I think they look perfect! I love the portion control of these! And the meringue idea is genius. I’m afraid my family’s traditional favorite — and they won’t let go — is a pecan streusel topped sweet potato. Still, I could make little ones for those purists and then . . . .

20. Michelle posted on October 26, 2011 at 5:41 pm (#)

So I just stumbled across your blog and immediately loved it since my name is Michelle too! And I live in VA too, and have a blog! haha here’s mine if you want to stalk me! :)

21. Elies_Lie posted on October 27, 2011 at 6:26 am (#)

sweet potato cup and marigue looks yummy for a noon dessert!!
    Congratz for the top 9! ;)

22. healthyfoodietravels posted on October 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm (#)

That looks adorable! And portion-control comes included, I love it. Perfect for the season, thanks for sharing. And congrats on Top 9!

23. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes posted on October 27, 2011 at 5:46 pm (#)

I ADORE these, Michelle! I have a theory that everyone is happier when they have their very own portion – I love how cute and sweet/savory these are. Congrats on Top 9, lady!! :)

24. Anonymous posted on October 27, 2011 at 7:34 pm (#)

I cannot wait to try these for thanksgiving!

25. Kim Bee posted on October 28, 2011 at 12:13 am (#)

Michelle these are so adorable. You are so creative. Congrats on top 9!

26. Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl posted on October 28, 2011 at 1:39 am (#)

Mmm these look so yummy!!!

27. Couponclippingcook posted on October 28, 2011 at 5:32 am (#)

These look so good. Love that meringue is used to top the dish too. This is a nice change from using marshmallows as a topping.

28. Parsley Sage posted on October 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm (#)

Buzzed and bookmarked. These look fabulous. I don’t mind that the heart didn’t happen…I’d have inhaled it so fast anyway I probably wouldn’t have noticed :)

29. Quay Po Cooks posted on October 29, 2011 at 1:19 pm (#)

I will never think of serving sweet potatoes with meringue. Thanks for the idea.

30. Ally posted on October 31, 2011 at 12:57 am (#)

These look incredible! Seriously delicious.
    xo

31. Jes Armstrong posted on October 31, 2011 at 1:52 pm (#)

Your husband is one lucky guy ;)

Keep up the amazing fall recipes!

32. Brissa posted on November 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm (#)

ohmygoodness. those look amazing!! i need one. now.

33. Poppy posted on November 4, 2011 at 12:49 am (#)

Okay this looks so good, I will definitely give them a try :-)