Final Hot Dog Friday: Apple Slaw on a Smoked Cheddar Dog

It’s with a heavy heart that I say good bye to Hot Dog Fridays… but seasons change and so do cravings.

I will close with this tangy and healthy  apple slaw on a cheesy smoked sausage.

This is the perfect hot dog to serve at Labor Day bbqs,  apples and smoked sausage are fall classics but hot dogs and slaw are so summer! A seasonal medley.

Here is a look back at some of my delicious (but incredibly hard to photograph) summer hot dogs.

Good bye hot dogs, I miss you already.

And now off to the pool, where I will live all weekend until they drag me out kicking and screaming.

Shopping List  (inspired by The Kenwood Dog, thanks Mom!)
Johnsonville “Beddar with Cheddar” smoked sausages
1 Granny smith apple sliced into matchsticks
1 cup Matchstick- cut carrots 1-2 stalks celery, cut julienne 2 Tbsp of low fat vanilla yogurt 1 Tbsp of Dijon mustard 1/2 tsp of Salt 1 Tsp of Honey 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar 1/2 Tsp of poppy seeds 1 cup Matchstick- cut carrots 1-2 stalks celery, cut julienne

Whisk together yogurt, mustard, salt, honey, cider and poppy seeds.  Mix the carrots and apples and celery together in a large bowl pour half of the dressing over them and toss. Add slaw on top of grilled sausage.

16 Responses to “Final Hot Dog Friday: Apple Slaw on a Smoked Cheddar Dog”

1. Dzoli posted on September 2, 2011 at 12:20 pm (#)

Very interesting combination with slaw.It certainly looks yummy’)

2. Liz posted on September 2, 2011 at 2:48 pm (#)

Yummy! I too will be kicking it by the pool this weekend! Trying to get the best end of summer tan I can!

3. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on September 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm (#)

Great combo of flavors with the apple slaw and cheddar! Happy last weekend of summer!!

4. Erin posted on September 3, 2011 at 12:41 am (#)

Great combination here. The apple slaw is perfect! Have a wonderful weekend by the pool, wish I could do that!

5. Andrea posted on September 3, 2011 at 2:33 am (#)

Stumbled upon your blog… I fell in love after one post.
    Love me some hot dogs.

6. Anne posted on September 3, 2011 at 6:05 am (#)

Only just found your blog.My kids love hot dogs!!
    ~Anne

7. Parsley Sage posted on September 3, 2011 at 8:13 pm (#)

Okay, first off! Love the new header :) I may be a little pokey with that but things have been hella busy here. And secondly! I’m so sad to say goodbye to Hotdog Fridays. No doubt my favorite food series to date. Enjoy the pool this weekend :) Buzzed!

8. egb posted on September 3, 2011 at 9:23 pm (#)

I love the concept of hotdog friday. So whimsical and a great way to celebrate summer. The apple slaw is a nice touch.

9. savoryandsavage posted on September 4, 2011 at 1:12 am (#)

I like the new look. I think this is my favorite hot dog recipe so far – I am glad you saved it for last :-)

10. Ann posted on September 4, 2011 at 3:05 am (#)

Fabulous flavor combo and it is with a heavy heart I say good by to your amazing hot dog series! Buzzed

11. Sarah posted on September 4, 2011 at 4:29 am (#)

L O V E. I am going to miss hot dog fridays! I am also going to miss living at the pool which is where I currently reside as well- hope you are having a fantastic weekend!

12. Kim Bee posted on September 4, 2011 at 6:09 am (#)

Great combo. I shall miss your hot dog fridays. But look forward to what you come up with next. Hope you are enjoying your long weekend.

13. Elies_Lie posted on September 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm (#)

wow! so lots of hot dog pic! Haha ha!
    buzzed!

14. Kita posted on September 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm (#)

Don’t let the hot dogs end! Im living vicariously through you ;D

15. Adora's Box posted on September 4, 2011 at 5:57 pm (#)

I like this finale to your hot dog saga. Lovely slaw! Do you know that Filipinos love hot dogs? Yes we do, with fried rice and ketchup!

16. Lori Lynn posted on September 7, 2011 at 3:48 am (#)

Boo Hoo MIchelle. I love HDF.
    Love your style. I’m sure you will proceed with even more creative ideas. Kudos to you for inventing an interesting venue. Long live the Hot Dog!
    LL