Coconut Moon Pies

There is something about moon pies that seem a little magical to me…

Maybe it’s the Marshmallow Fluff center.  That big white tub of sugary mallow goodness, with the red lid, brings me right back to my childhood, remember peanut-butter and fluff sandwiches?

I actually don’t think I was allowed to eat them, only when I was at a friends house.

Also, after making these I haven’t been able to get the Breakfast at Tiffany’s  theme song “Moon River,” out of my head.  Simply because of the word “moon.”

That song makes me think of Mr. Big on “Sex and The City” dancing with Carrie in his empty apartment before he moved to Napa… remember that episode?

Childhood lunches,  Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Sex and the City… all from one. little. cookie.  Magical.

(Honey Bear certainly likes moon pies and marshmallow fluff.  See, she told me )

Shopping List (recipe adapted Betty Crocker’s Best Halloween Recipes 2011)

1 box white cake mix

1 box coconut instant pudding (4 serving size)
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
Marshmallow Fluff
Whipped frosting

Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer whip the butter until it’s smooth, then add cake mix, pudding mix, mil and eggs. Mix until combined.
Place one small tablespoon full of batter on your cookie sheets at least 1 inch apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, careful not to over bake.

In a medium mixing bowl combine about 1/2 cup frosting and 3/4 cup Fluff. When cookies have cooled completely. (You can speed up the process in the freezer) place a dollop of the filling in the center of the cookie bottom and the top with another cookie.

These cookies were VERY sweet. Next time I might opt for something like pumpkin or carrot cake instead.

21 Responses to “Coconut Moon Pies”

1. Kim Bee posted on September 7, 2011 at 2:37 am (#)

Love these Michelle. Huge coconut fan over here. Also a huge Audrey/Breakfast at Tiffany’s fan. I even got my daughter hooked on it. Your doggie is such a cutie and great little helper.

2. Lo-mo posted on September 7, 2011 at 2:44 am (#)

Oh my oh my, oh coconut pie! These look simple and fantastic, the perfect combination!

3. Christine's Pantry posted on September 7, 2011 at 3:16 am (#)

Its been ages since I have had a moon pie. Great recipe. Love your photos. Thanks for sharing.

4. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on September 7, 2011 at 3:53 am (#)

Oh, how I love moon pies and the idea of doing a coconut version sounds really delicious and perfect!

5. Ann posted on September 7, 2011 at 4:57 am (#)

Love the picture of your puppy! Moon pies are good, but coconut moon pies? Delish! You’re right, they are special!

6. Dzoli posted on September 7, 2011 at 5:21 am (#)

What a cute puppu.And I would liek some cookies too;)

7. Parsley Sage posted on September 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm (#)

Honey is so adorable. Much like these little cuto moonpies! Om nom nom :) Buzzed

8. Alleen posted on September 7, 2011 at 3:50 pm (#)

These look amazing and super easy to make. Would be a great lunch box treat too!!! I may even try them TODAY (if the gray yucky day doesn’t keep me unmotivated). xoxo

9. Tina posted on September 7, 2011 at 3:50 pm (#)

Coconut moon pies sound pretty awesome and it does open the door to many variations. The marshmallow is a nice pairing, still leaves the coconut to shine through. Great post.

10. Erin posted on September 7, 2011 at 9:34 pm (#)

I never had moon pies as a kid. Not sure why. Everything about them sounds good though! Cake, marshmallow – yum!

11. SlipperCityCakes posted on September 7, 2011 at 10:41 pm (#)

Omg! I love coconut and I love moon pies! These look so delicious… and I also now have moon river stuck in my head! :)
    Elyse @The Cultural Dish

12. M.J. posted on September 7, 2011 at 11:55 pm (#)

Those cookies look wonderful! yummy!

13. Tiffany posted on September 8, 2011 at 12:07 am (#)

Oooooooooo, it’s DEFINITELY the marshmallow center! ;) YUM!

14. Chic & Gorgeous Treats posted on September 8, 2011 at 1:56 am (#)

Such a lovely tempting photo Michelle! I’ve never tried marshmallow fluff. Gotta try and get me some so I can experiment. I love how your marshmallow drizzles down the side.. ;). Cheers, Jo

15. The Procrastobaker posted on September 8, 2011 at 8:52 am (#)

Beautiful photos! Pure temptation :) these look simply divinnnee

16. Hester Chang posted on September 8, 2011 at 9:29 am (#)

Ooh! I don’t know if I’ve ever had a moon pie? They definitely do look tasty!

17. Sandi G posted on September 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm (#)

Beautiful! Well earned TOP 9!!

18. Sandra posted on September 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm (#)

Yummy yum! Love how you made these, so delicious looking”just calling my name” :))
    Your puppy is adorable!Congrats on top 9!

19. Mo posted on September 8, 2011 at 6:48 pm (#)

I wonder if pineapple mixed in with the filling would add a little bit of tartness to these – or would the texture be ruined?

Either way, these look beautiful!

20. Free Spirit Eater posted on September 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm (#)

I love moon pies but have never had coconut flavored! I’ll be sure to give it a try some time, thanks so much for sharing, they look wonderful! =]

21. Kankana posted on September 8, 2011 at 11:41 pm (#)

The moon pies looks so adorable. Love the first photo how the filling is oozing out.