The Original Caramel Apple Jello Shots [With Real Apples]

Can you believe I actually spend time trying to figure out what kinds of food could be used as a vessel for jello shots?  I’m not a lush I swear … although my blog would have you totally fooled.

It’s just that, after filling lemons, limes, oranges and strawberries with vodka infused jello, I knew there had to be something else

So we tried apples… and guess what?  YUM.  Especially with my caramel flavored butterscotch schnapps jello.

(If you wanted something with a little bit more alcohol content you could always try them out with Van Gogh Dutch Caramel Vodka instead of butterscotch schnapps) Or for a kid friendly, non-alcoholic version just use cold water mixed with two tablespoons of caramel syrup instead of butterscotch schnapps or vodka!

Shopping List (makes about 40 slices/shots)
10 small granny smith apples
1 envelope knox gelatin
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 drops yellow food coloring
1 envelope Land o Lakes caramel hot chocolate (Regular would do just fine if you can’t find caramel)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butterscotch schnapps
lemon juice

1. Half and hollow out  apples cutting them from the stem down. I used a melon baller to hollow the apples and it worked well. After hollowing them squeeze some lemon juice on top to reduce browning.

2. Mix your 1/2 cup water with your envelope of hot chocolate in a medium sized sauce pan. Whisk it to make sure all the chocolate is combined. Add the 1/2 cup of coconut milk, whisk again.

3. Sprinkle your gelatin on top and let it sit a few minutes. Turn on low/medium heat and mix the gelatin until all is combined.

4. Add 1/4 cup sugar and simmer slightly until sugar is combined. Add your food coloring until you get the caramel color desired. I used two drops. Let mixture cool to warm. Pour in your 1/2 cup of butterscotch schnapps.

5. With your apples arranged so they fit tightly and secure on a cookie sheet, pour your caramel jello mixture into your apples. Refrigerate overnight.

Cut halves in quarters and those quarters in half again. Serve immediately. (The lemon juice can only prevent the browning for so long). Trim off the sides of the apples that have browned too much! For featuring on your website please make sure to contact thatssomichelle@gmail.com

116 Responses to “The Original Caramel Apple Jello Shots [With Real Apples]”

1. The Mom Chef posted on September 26, 2011 at 1:54 pm (#)

Oh my gosh. I love these. Caramel is my chocolate. What an amazing idea. You are definitely the jello shot queen.

2. Free Spirit Eater posted on September 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm (#)

Okay this is the best way to have caramel apple jello shots, you’re a genius! This looks so good! I haven’t made jello using fruit molds in so long but really want to again after seeing this, wow! I won’t be able to get over these, yum! Thanks for sharing, buzzed it =]

3. Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny posted on September 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm (#)

What a great idea, those look delicious!! :)

4. Ericka Andersen posted on September 26, 2011 at 2:35 pm (#)

Um, this is the BEST ONE YET. This one should be on every food magazine website in the world. You are a jello shot superstar to the max.

5. Sarah Catherine posted on September 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm (#)

I looooove it!!

6. Mo (New on U) posted on September 26, 2011 at 3:05 pm (#)

You are out of control. These look amazing.

7. steve @ the black peppercorn posted on September 26, 2011 at 3:20 pm (#)

You are the master of jello shots!! these look great also

8. Erin posted on September 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm (#)

Oh wow – what a great idea! I love apples dipped in caramel – this is amazing!!!

9. Curry and Comfort posted on September 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm (#)

Simply genius. What a unique and creative idea. Kudos to you!!

10. Lauren at Keep It Sweet posted on September 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm (#)

These are amazing! I love it.

11. tell yourself to be myself posted on September 26, 2011 at 4:17 pm (#)

that looks REALLY GOOD

12. Ari posted on September 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm (#)

omg michelle! soooo hoping these are going to make an appearance for halloween weekend. they look absolutely amazing!

13. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted on September 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm (#)

BAHHH THIS IS SOOOOOOO CUTE!!!! I need them. Now. Is it too early to drink?

14. RavieNomNoms posted on September 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm (#)

Holy cow!! What an interesting and creative idea! This would be awesome for a Halloween party!!

15. richelle posted on September 26, 2011 at 7:30 pm (#)

What an awesome idea! These would be so fun to serve at a party!

16. Tina posted on September 26, 2011 at 7:37 pm (#)

Oooh-I see a lot of hits coming your way on this blog post. Great timing, brilliantly creative and delicious. Buzz buzz!

17. Liz @ Southern Charm posted on September 26, 2011 at 9:09 pm (#)

Absolutely love this! How perfect for fall! Must have a party so I can make these!!

18. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on September 26, 2011 at 9:34 pm (#)

You are pretty much awesome. I want to come to your house for a party! And while I love all of your jello shots, I think this might be one of my faves bc of the apples and butterscotch flavor! Buzz!

19. Natalie posted on September 26, 2011 at 11:29 pm (#)

SO making these for a Halloween Party! YUM!!

20. Lizard posted on September 27, 2011 at 12:32 am (#)

This is an awesome idea!!!! Love it!!!

21. Mommyof2girlz/StephD posted on September 27, 2011 at 12:51 am (#)

Oh my goodness…awesome!!! Thank you for the recipe, can’t wait to make them.

22. Beth posted on September 27, 2011 at 1:50 am (#)

Great idea! Can’t wait to try these!

23. Ducky posted on September 27, 2011 at 3:18 am (#)

Like, like, like!

24. momdecuisine posted on September 27, 2011 at 10:52 am (#)

LOVE IT! I want to have a party just so I can try all of your different jello shots. With Halloween coming, this one is a great idea!!!

25. Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes posted on September 27, 2011 at 1:22 pm (#)

Too insane. Funny, I was just thinking the same thing about myself… When people begin asking you to develop cocktails with certain types of liquor, what does that say about you? I’m enjoying this.

26. Rosemary posted on September 27, 2011 at 1:44 pm (#)

Just Wow! So very creative . . . and so many of my favorite flavors. You are a wizard!

27. Mama's World posted on September 27, 2011 at 2:31 pm (#)
  28. Grubarazzi posted on September 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm (#)

Simply amazing!

29. Liz posted on September 27, 2011 at 8:10 pm (#)

I’m coming grown up trick or treating at your place for those! :) Yum!!

30. Amy Leigh posted on September 27, 2011 at 8:20 pm (#)

This is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! Thanks for sharing.

31. Sis. Boom. posted on September 27, 2011 at 9:53 pm (#)

Now you are just showing off!!!! Wow. Just wow.

32. Meeling posted on September 27, 2011 at 11:20 pm (#)

Those look awesome!!

33. Along Abbey Road posted on September 28, 2011 at 12:20 am (#)

I don’t drink, but I could totally make these minus the alchohol.

Your blog is ADORABLE and makes me want to bake for days. I am definitely your newest follower :)

Also, I am hosting a $25 Ann Taylor LOFT gift card giveaway at my blog and would love for you to stop by and enter!

♥Abbey
    Along Abbey Road

34. Sarah posted on September 28, 2011 at 1:38 am (#)

Oh yum, how delicious!

35. Sarah Grecco posted on September 28, 2011 at 1:42 am (#)

I’m totally using this at my next party!! How am I just now finding your blog!!?? I LOVE it….and you live in DC (I’m in VA).

xo
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

36. Rhonda posted on September 28, 2011 at 2:11 am (#)

Super cool! I love caramel more than chocolate, and I especially love it with apples! Brilliant!

37. Ann posted on September 28, 2011 at 4:34 am (#)

Holy cow these are stunning! Congratulations on Top 9…well deserved! Buzzed!

38. kita posted on September 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm (#)

These are freakin awesome!!!!

39. Made in Sonoma posted on September 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm (#)

They are beautiful and I’d like one right now…at 9:42 AM!

40. savoryandsavage posted on September 28, 2011 at 5:59 pm (#)

Brilliant post! I loooove caramel apple and combined with liquor?? Wow!

41. Jes Armstrong posted on September 28, 2011 at 9:06 pm (#)

Must you be so brilliant?! You’re making the rest of us look bad.. ;)

42. Junglefrog posted on September 28, 2011 at 9:48 pm (#)

That looks really really good!

43. jillian m. posted on September 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm (#)

Genius! Now this is my kind of fall recipe.

44. Marilyn posted on September 30, 2011 at 4:20 pm (#)

I would lOVE for you to link this up to my fall crawl blog party pweease.. http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com : ))

45. kankana posted on September 30, 2011 at 9:12 pm (#)

I have never seen fancy shots anywhere else.. watermelon and now apples :)

46. ChinkyGirLMeL posted on October 5, 2011 at 3:18 am (#)

omg! what a cute, yummy idea! I need to put this on my pinterest

47. Jen@Mom's Online Garage Sale posted on October 7, 2011 at 12:20 am (#)

I have never seen fruit used as a vessel for jello shots before. These are amazing! This coming weekend is our last as Seasonal Campers for the year. I am so going to make these to surprise my fellow campers. Thanks for sharing, I look forward to more great recipes for next camping season!!

48. glenda regan posted on October 8, 2011 at 3:30 am (#)

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

49. Anonymous posted on October 12, 2011 at 12:43 am (#)

Saw this on Pinterest and it looks amazing but I’m wondering if the apples don’t brown overnight in the fridge? How do you keep yours looking so nice? Really just lemon juice? Thanks!

50. Michelle O posted on October 12, 2011 at 1:55 am (#)

They really didn’t brown anymore than you see in these photos. I made them in the afternoon, they sat overnight in the fridge and I sliced them in the morning. They even lasted sliced until we brought them over to a friends that night to share! Lemon juice is great, but I think it helps that the caramel jello is brown too!

51. Mrs. C posted on October 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm (#)

Found this recipe while searching for some fun jello shot ideas for a Octoberfest contest we’re having this weekend!!! You have given me confidence to be a front runner! :) Love it! Thanks so much!!!

Recipes Fashion Marriage

52. acolbert posted on October 17, 2011 at 10:51 pm (#)

Wouldn’t this recipe make 80 slices? 8/ apple (4/half of an apple)?

• Jessi Wall replied on September 15th, 2012 at 12:12 am

10 apples = 20 halves = 40 quarters?

53. janet@cupcakestocaviar posted on October 24, 2011 at 4:47 am (#)

These look amazing Michelle! Know I have to decided which I want to try making; these or the candy apple ones :-D

54. Allison posted on October 30, 2011 at 1:34 am (#)

is there something I could use instead of coconut milk? I can’t have coconut…

55. Lacy posted on November 3, 2011 at 2:30 pm (#)

You make some of the most amzingly adorable jello shots & other food in general that I’ve ever seen. I LOVE this!

56. Colie's Kitchen posted on November 5, 2011 at 12:00 am (#)

Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. http://www.colieskitchen.com

57. Anonymous posted on November 6, 2011 at 10:41 pm (#)

I made these for a halloween party this past weekend and they were a huge hit…Thanks!!

58. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel posted on November 9, 2011 at 6:08 pm (#)

I’ve seen fruit shots in pictures before and always wondered how they were made. Thanks for clearing that up!! I’m totally loving this recipe :)

59. Anonymous posted on November 10, 2011 at 11:52 pm (#)

dropping everything to make these RIGHT NOW!

60. Lily posted on November 16, 2011 at 6:27 am (#)

I’ve seen citrus fruits done like this before but this is so different. Perfect for fall!

61. Leslie Brann posted on November 19, 2011 at 6:12 am (#)

I’m making these right now! The only cocoa I found with caramel in it is Starbucks, pretty spendy, but good. I used the butterscotch schnaps and also added a little extra vodka and sprinked a little extra gellatin in. They seem to be setting nicely!

62. Anonymous posted on November 24, 2011 at 1:06 am (#)

Just finished making these. I substituted coconut milk for sweetened condensed and skipped the sugar. I also had trouble iwth the cookie sheet, so I put the apples halves in my cupcake pan. They stopped rolling around.

63. Weaver's Whimsy posted on December 6, 2011 at 7:52 pm (#)

This sounds awesome and I would love to try it for a summer party.

Just thought I’d say I’ve had great success with soaking apples in salt water for a few minutes instead of lemon juice to delay browning. I don’t think it would adversely effect the jello, but worth a try if lemon is not your thing. :)

64. makingtheglassslipperfit posted on December 7, 2011 at 9:41 pm (#)

This is an AMAZING and innovative recipe! Thanks for sharing with the internet world. I’m going to try it tonight for my holiday party.

65. Angie posted on December 11, 2011 at 2:20 am (#)

oh my gosh, i want to eat these! i just don’t want to have to make them!!

66. Anonymous posted on December 15, 2011 at 8:16 am (#)

love it<3!!!

67. Anonymous posted on December 16, 2011 at 3:18 pm (#)

Just made them, delicious!

68. Anonymous posted on December 31, 2011 at 12:34 am (#)

made them today..OMG YUM!

69. Anonymous posted on December 31, 2011 at 4:35 am (#)

Just finished making these and the red hot ones for new years,

So excited to cut into them tomorrow!

70. Meg Grant posted on January 15, 2012 at 1:15 am (#)

For people who have had them…do you taste the chocolate from the cocoa? My husband would love these, but hates chocolate, so I was just wondering before trying it out.

71. Anonymous posted on January 16, 2012 at 1:57 pm (#)

I always love trying different recipes, try these out there some of my favorite http://howtofixstuff.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-fix-various-jello-shots.html

72. Michelle O posted on January 16, 2012 at 6:09 pm (#)

Hi Meg! My finance doesnt like chocolate either. The buttershots flavor really takes over so it’s not a strong chocolate taste at all. I also used caramel flavored hot chocolate, which probably helped as well. Hope that helps you out.

73. Angee posted on January 19, 2012 at 2:15 am (#)

Can’t wait to try these. I’ve always used Sprite to keep my apples from turning. Cheaper and easier to open than squeezing a lemon. Also the taste isn’t so strong!

74. Anonymous posted on January 24, 2012 at 3:22 am (#)

Looks so good! Can’t wait to try them!

75. Oneaquachick posted on February 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm (#)

Michelle, I love all of your recipes!!
    I amended this one by using butterscotch pudding instead of cocoa… excellent and was able to skip the food coloring step… Thanks for all of the inspiration!!!

• The Wanderer replied on October 6th, 2012 at 5:29 am

Did you use the whole box of pudding mix?

76. Abe C.Johnson posted on February 11, 2012 at 5:08 am (#)

Thank you for another informative web site. Where else could I am getting that type of info written in such an ideal way? I’ve a mission that I am simply now working on, and I’ve been on the look out for such information.
    Oribe Dry Texturing Hair Spray, 8.5 Ounce

77. Anonymous posted on February 13, 2012 at 12:43 am (#)

YUM

78. Anonymous posted on February 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm (#)

i have a family member allergic to coconut, is there another option instead of the coconut milk?

• Michelle O replied on February 20th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I bet regular milk, or condensed milk (since it’s sweeter) would work well. Try 1/2 cup condensed sweetened milk.

79. Anonymous posted on February 24, 2012 at 3:11 am (#)

here michelle

80. fsbowman posted on February 28, 2012 at 8:01 pm (#)

just curious if they are easy to slice? doesn’t the jello squish out when you try to cut them? how do you keep the shape so well? can’t wait to try!!!

81. Tom Smith posted on March 8, 2012 at 9:23 am (#)

I don’t quite understand what you mean,trouble again to explain,especially hollister and so on

82. woodworthfamily posted on March 28, 2012 at 8:23 pm (#)

How can I do this without any alcohol content?

83. Anonymous posted on March 31, 2012 at 5:28 am (#)

idea could you make a bloody mary shot in a small tomato?

• The Wanderer replied on October 6th, 2012 at 5:27 am

The possibilities are endless with knox gelatin. Tomatoes are also a lot easier to hollow out. I would imagine that you just take a 1/2 cup of water and a 1/2 cup of tomato juice and then the packet of gelatin and 1/2 cup of absolut peppar vodka and just sort of follow the directions above for mixing and cooking directions :)

84. Anonymous posted on May 21, 2012 at 8:24 pm (#)

Made these this weekend. Yummy!!!!!

85. Aurelia posted on July 20, 2012 at 11:28 am (#)

I am a huge fan of jello shots and now I just found this wonderful combination on pinterest.. thanks a lot for beeing that creative. I will have to try these shots even if I am not very sure how to holloe ot the apples that perfect?

86. Lynne Blaisdell posted on August 1, 2012 at 6:40 pm (#)

Can you do this with out the Schnapps? With maybe caramel flavoring?

87. Anonymous posted on September 12, 2012 at 7:20 pm (#)

marvellous! so excited to try for thanksgiving or halloween!

88. Shannon posted on September 16, 2012 at 7:49 pm (#)

I made these for a party a few months ago and they were a huge hit! However, I tried making them again this past weekend and the whole thing flopped. The only change that I made between the two batches is the hot chocolate. I couldn’t find any Land O Lakes so I went with Swiss Miss Caramel. The jello set, but when cut open, had separated and it was extremely salty. Have you tried this with any other hot chocolate, and if so, did you have success? Land O Lakes is hit-or-miss where I live and while I will stock up when I see it, I’d like to know if there were any other successful options. Swiss Miss is a definite no-go!

89. The Wanderer posted on October 6, 2012 at 5:23 am (#)

I have to admit, I am not a big fan of the hot cocoa powder as it makes the shot taste more like chocolate than caramel, so I left out the cocoa powder and the sugar and substituted a 1/4 cup of caramel sauce. Then for the alcohol, I used 1/4 cup Butterscotch Schnapps and 1/8 cup Pinnacle orange whipped vodka and 1/8 cup of Everclear to give it a nice alcohol boost and boy does that Everclear give it a kick!

90. kv82 posted on October 16, 2012 at 2:27 am (#)

Anybody know of a substitute for the coconut milk? I’m allergic to it, but definitely want to make these for tailgating soon!

91. Rachel MacArthur posted on October 25, 2012 at 2:36 pm (#)

Does anyone happen to have a recipe for this without alcohol, that they could direct me to?

• Michelle O replied on October 25th, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Hi Rachel — Just replace the butterscotch schnapps with another liquid that’s not alcohol. Perhaps a 1/2 cup apple juice. :)

92. 3pastriesaday posted on November 4, 2012 at 12:31 am (#)

Umm hello, these look absolutely amazing!!! I’ve actually never made jello shots before (just taken other people’s haha), but you may have started me on a kick. =)

93. AlaskanBelle posted on November 8, 2012 at 6:21 am (#)

Sadly, I’ve seen your pictures taken and pinned on pinterest with captions like “Caramel Apples for the kids!” and “Easy caramel apples for Halloween! Less mess for the kids!” What idiots. I make sure to inform them of their idiocy and share your site address for this so you are properly credited.

94. ÖZGURME posted on November 28, 2012 at 4:00 pm (#)

Hi from Turkey:))))Heyyy it’s a fantastic idea…i am sure that also the taste is great too!!!

95. Jake's Journey posted on November 30, 2012 at 4:24 pm (#)

I’m a newbie to jello shots and have a question. Step #2 says to mix the water & hot chocolate in a sauce pan. Boiling or cold water? Thanks

• Michelle O replied on November 30th, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Hi Jake — cold water. Don’t boil until the gelatin layer is sprinkled on top and sits for a few minutes. :)

96. Jake's Journey posted on November 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm (#)

Thank you. Can’t wait to make them!

97. Lauren Bosi posted on December 21, 2012 at 8:33 pm (#)

I have made these and everyone loved them!! Love your site Michelle.

I used an melon baller to scoop out the insides, works great! Since my friends love their jello shots, instead of the water I added vodka. Very strong, but tasty.

98. kathryn witte posted on August 17, 2013 at 9:40 pm (#)

WOW! Never heard of Vodka induced fruit before. Is that like pregnant women being induced to give birth? I thought it was called “inFUSED”. I guess they’re right when they say you learn something new every day.

• Michelle O replied on August 18th, 2013 at 12:40 am

Thanks for that catch Kathryn! Ha.

99. busymoman posted on August 28, 2013 at 1:46 pm (#)

This comment has been removed by the author.

100. busymoman posted on August 28, 2013 at 1:48 pm (#)

I made this for a neighborhood get together this weekend. HUGE hit!!! I used the 1/2 cup butterscotch schnapps and added 1/2 cup caramel vodka to make them a little stronger. Everyone thought they were really good. I will definitely make the kid friendly one in addition to the adult only ones next time, though. All the little ones were so upset when they couldn’t have one.

101. Christina Noraas posted on October 12, 2013 at 5:34 pm (#)

These are awesome! I haven’t seen my best friend in almost a year and tonight is the night we get to get silly. I mixed the recipe up a little though, instead of a half cup of just a single liquor I used 1/4 butter shots and 1/4 cup UV candy bar. I also ran out of hot chocolate so I used a cappuccino mix. Turned out wonderful. I also used some honey crisp apples along with some granny smith. Thanks for the recipe!

102. Kathy Mroszczak posted on October 25, 2013 at 7:40 pm (#)

I cant find a store that sells coconut milk. Is there anything that I can substitute for it?

• Michelle O replied on October 25th, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Sweetened condensed milk would work. Do a couple tablespoons of it mixed with some water! Remember it will make it sweet though so maybe