Candy Corn Jello Shots

What’s orange and white, jiggly and tastes like a creamsicle?

Yes! Candy corn jello shots! How did you guess?

Without a doubt, my mini watermelon jello shots are the most popular post on my blog, so I knew for That’s so Michelle’s birthday week I definitely had to revisit them … and why not make them seasonally appropriate too?

Slightly modified mini watermelon jellos shots = candy corn jello shots!

These little babies are super cute and the coconut jello on top mixed with the orange is  de-li-cious.  They taste like little orange jello creamsicles (yet there is almost an entire bottle of Pinnacle whipped cream flavored vodka inside, watch out!)

For a kid friendly, non-alcoholic version just use cold water with a teaspoon of vanilla instead of vodka.

The step by step is the same as with the mini watermelon jello shots, with the addition of one more layer of jello.

Shopping List
10 oranges
1 box orange jello
1 can coconut milk
1 envelope Knox geletin
1/4 cup sugar
1 bottle Pinnacle whipped cream flavored vodka

1. Prepare oranges by cutting them in halves and hollowing out the peel. This may sound easier than it is. The trick is to take a paring knife and score around the insides to carefully loosen the citrus, then spoon it out. Arrange the hollowed out orange bowls on a cookie sheet (securely upright) or in a cupcake pan.

For Orange Layer

2. Boil one cup of water then stir in packet of orange jello. When dissolved slowly add one cup of vodka and stir. Pour orange mixture into the orange peels, filling half way. Let refrigerated for at least 2-3 hours or until firm.

For White Layer

3. Pour 1/2 a cup of water and 1/2 a cup of coconut milk into a sauce pan and then sprinkle1 packet of Knox gelatin on top. Let is sit for one minute, then turn on medium heat and stir until dissolved. Add 1/4 cup sugar and heat until dissolved.

Turn off the heat and wait until the mixture is just warm and then add 1/2 a cup of vodka. Pour into oranges on top of orange jello layer.

4. Let refrigerate overnight.

5. Quarter the halves with a sharp knife, then cut those halves in half again.

For featuring on your website please make sure to contact thatssomichelle@gmail.com

71 Responses to “Candy Corn Jello Shots”

1. Parsley Sage posted on September 18, 2011 at 2:19 pm (#)

Fabulous! Love this new take on an old favorite :) Here’s to an awesome year of blogging! I’m sure the best is yet to come. Buzzed!

2. Aarthi posted on September 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm (#)

This looks delicious….I bet it taste that good…Yummy..Thanks for the recipe dear…

3. mike @ the culinary lens posted on September 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm (#)

This is so cool. Bookmarked for my next boozy party.. Buzzed too

4. The Slow Roasted Italian posted on September 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm (#)

Love these!

5. MissEricka posted on September 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm (#)

These sound soo tasty!! I love Pinnacle Whipped vodka, so I can’t wait to try these!

6. Liz posted on September 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm (#)

These look AMAZING!!!!!! Well done :)

7. Wendy posted on September 18, 2011 at 6:04 pm (#)

How cute! Will be trying these out soon. :D

8. Lizzy posted on September 18, 2011 at 7:01 pm (#)

Those are SO gorgeous! Perfect fall party treat~

9. Ericka Andersen posted on September 18, 2011 at 7:27 pm (#)

So sad I missed these last night :( They look great…miss you!

10. C posted on September 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm (#)

These are absolutely adorable – what a great idea!

11. Sarah Catherine posted on September 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm (#)

These are so cute! You could really make a living inventing cool jello shots. I can’t wait for a Christmas one if you make it!

12. Dzoli posted on September 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm (#)

They look fanatstic:)) Would get lots of ahhs on the table when served;)

13. Alex posted on September 18, 2011 at 11:32 pm (#)

absolutely awesome! would be perfect for a Halloween party!

14. Christine's Pantry posted on September 18, 2011 at 11:38 pm (#)

These are cute. Love it.

15. Kim Bee posted on September 19, 2011 at 12:26 am (#)

Looks great Michelle. You have such a creative flair. Love it!

16. The Chia family :) posted on September 19, 2011 at 1:48 am (#)

This is really cool!!

17. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on September 19, 2011 at 1:56 am (#)

You’re just a genius!! These look so tasty! Gotta love that whipped cream vodka!

18. Crystal Lee posted on September 19, 2011 at 2:54 am (#)

These look awesome Michelle! I am so putting on my Halloween party list. Thanks for the post..
    Crystal
    Memphis, TN
    Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes

19. Kristin posted on September 19, 2011 at 3:04 am (#)

This is perfect for halloween! Ive used lemon peels for jello shots and have been wanting to use orange peels- this is perfect!

20. jillian m. posted on September 19, 2011 at 12:27 pm (#)

Aaah, these look deeeelicious! What a lovely and unique idea for Halloween.

21. Laura posted on September 19, 2011 at 3:21 pm (#)

These look so cute! I think i have to make them for my friend’s halloween party!!

22. teri lynn posted on September 19, 2011 at 5:01 pm (#)

These are amazing! I want to try & make them but I am afraid that I’ll fail miserably!

23. Michelle O posted on September 19, 2011 at 5:03 pm (#)

Teri they are really easy! You should give it a try :)

24. Balvinder ( Neetu) posted on September 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm (#)

You are so creative. They look so… cute. I tried to make with agar agar for my vegan friend, but wasn’t successful.

25. Junglefrog posted on September 19, 2011 at 8:14 pm (#)

These look really good, although I would be curious to find out how the oranges themself taste, peel and all…Or do you scoop them out? Sorry for asking possibly dumb questions but I’m not familiair with these.. :)

26. savoryandsavage posted on September 19, 2011 at 9:27 pm (#)

That is one of the most unique and beautiful ideas I have ever seen!!

27. Mauimandy@The Grains of Paradise posted on September 20, 2011 at 4:57 am (#)

You are brilliant!!

28. Nate @ House of Annie posted on September 20, 2011 at 6:28 am (#)

Awesome! And I bet they’re even better than the real ones.

Happy Bloggerversary!

29. Anonymous posted on September 20, 2011 at 6:37 am (#)

Great idea! Super creative. Can you post photos of the oranges “securely upright” I having a hard time knowing what this means. Thanks!

30. Parsley Sage posted on September 20, 2011 at 8:46 am (#)

BAM! I’ve given you an award over on Deep Dish :)

31. The Kitchen Noob posted on September 20, 2011 at 10:29 am (#)

Saw these on Top 9 – these are really cool!

Congrats :)

32. Rosemary posted on September 20, 2011 at 10:50 am (#)

So very creative! Jello shots are always part of our football parties. These are next!

33. momdecuisine posted on September 20, 2011 at 10:59 am (#)

How creative! I love this for an adult-only halloween party. Would I be able to do a kid friendly version without alcohol?

34. kenaskitchen posted on September 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm (#)

These little things are beautiful! I love it. So very creative!

35. foodielady posted on September 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm (#)

love it! i always make it in small plastic cups but this is much more environmentally friendly and beautiful! thanks.

36. icancookthat posted on September 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm (#)

how creative!! congrats on making the top 9 today!

37. Dee Dee's Delights posted on September 20, 2011 at 4:07 pm (#)

Congrats on top 9! This is indeed an awsome recipe!

38. Christine's Pantry posted on September 20, 2011 at 7:16 pm (#)

Congrats on Foodbuzz top 9!

39. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted on September 20, 2011 at 7:25 pm (#)

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I love this :)

40. Sandra posted on September 20, 2011 at 8:52 pm (#)

Congratulations this is super creative!

41. Darcy Jones posted on September 20, 2011 at 9:16 pm (#)

This is brilliant! Creative and fun and fabulous for a grown up halloween! I will absolutely be trying these thanks so much

42. Lori Lynn posted on September 20, 2011 at 9:27 pm (#)

Whipped Cream Flavored Vodka – that’s a new one on me!
    These are fabulous!
    LL

43. Meeling posted on September 20, 2011 at 9:42 pm (#)

Fantastic!!

44. Jenny @ Savour the Senses posted on September 20, 2011 at 11:44 pm (#)

These are AWESOME!! Definitely making these for Halloween!

45. Donna posted on September 21, 2011 at 3:39 am (#)

What a super cute, awesome idea. I hold a Pumpkin Carving Party every year, and this is going on the menu. Question: This is a kiddie party. What can I use in place of the whipped cream flavored vodka? Water? And Happy Blog Birthday!

46. Lulu's Sweet Secrets posted on September 21, 2011 at 3:48 am (#)

These look amazing! Congrats!

47. Desi posted on September 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm (#)

Congrats on making Top 9! I can see why with these adorable jello shots :)

48. Sarah posted on September 21, 2011 at 11:11 pm (#)

These look adorable and delicious! What a fun recipe!

xo

49. Michelle's Style File posted on September 22, 2011 at 8:52 am (#)

These are fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

x
    Michelle

50. anneb412@yahoo.com posted on September 25, 2011 at 4:16 am (#)

Yay! Michelle …thanks for making the changes on your blog so that I could post! I just love your blog and was feeling bad that I could not tell you that directly. I especially loved your wine tasting segment and though we are neighbors, I’ve yet to try Virginia wines. There are several of us foodies here in the D.C. area. Would love to get a group of us and do a wine tasting field trip one day! In the mean while…I’m going to learn how to make these awesome jello shots! And thanks again for reworking your comment section! : )

51. alisia E. posted on September 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm (#)

These look so great!
    I just discovered your blog and I love it!!!

52. Anonymous posted on October 1, 2011 at 6:32 pm (#)

Really a great idea! I’m curious why you didn’t use the strained juice from the oranges for the first layer of Jello? I think they could be carefully reamed out then the rest of the orange could be pulled out. I can’t wait to try the vodka!
    Thanks!

53. Anonymous posted on October 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm (#)

Hollowing out the oranges is positively maddening, but – I just put my “orange layer” in the fridge to set…can’t wait to see the finished product! I would also HIGHLY recommend throwing the leftover orange “guts” in a pot with some cinnamon && sage and simmering for a while…my house smells AMAZING right now! :)

54. Grandma Peggy posted on October 23, 2011 at 9:33 pm (#)

These are too cute not to make for my party!! But how far ahead can I make them & they will still be ‘fresh’?

55. Anonymous posted on October 24, 2011 at 6:23 am (#)

The base of a candy corn is yellow before orange. You should use lemons instead of oranges. But great idea!

56. janet@cupcakestocaviar posted on October 26, 2011 at 10:37 pm (#)

So cute!!! Again! And I love that particular vodka so I need to try this. Oh yes, yes I do :-P

57. Elyse @The Cultural Dish posted on October 27, 2011 at 1:43 am (#)

You always have the best jell-o shot ideas! I love these so much!

58. Sarah posted on October 27, 2011 at 4:09 am (#)

You are a GOSH DARN GENIUS!!! This is a wonderful idea!

59. Kristin W posted on October 27, 2011 at 5:20 pm (#)

I just got done making these for a party and they are so cute and yummy! Best part is that I have left over vodka that I can either drink or make more with! :)

60. Kristin W posted on October 27, 2011 at 5:25 pm (#)

Oh! I forgot to ask! When I hallowed out my oranges the umbilical cord caused a little hole to appear which I stuffed with pieces of orange peel (but some holes were just too big and caused leaks so I ended up throwing a couple away) but what I was wondering if you had that same issue and what you did to remedy it?

61. Kim Y posted on October 28, 2011 at 2:44 pm (#)

LOVE! I made my first layer last night. Cant wait to see if they work out (hollowing the oranges is a pain in the booty!) Kristen – I had the same issue and tried to remedy it with tape to no success. Those orange peels are lost causes. Make sure to cut the orange the opposite way so it doesn’t happen again ;)

62. sherry posted on October 28, 2011 at 5:43 pm (#)

These look awesome! I’m going to try them. I’m sure they’re great.

63. the food yenta posted on October 28, 2011 at 10:19 pm (#)

Great Recipe (I tasted the jello)! I made these today for a Halloween party I am attending tomorrow. I am sure they will be a hit.

Just wanted to share how I got the pulp out of the orange. It made the process a lot easier. I halved the oranges and then I squeezed the juice into a bowl very softly being careful not to rip the skin. I then, with a grapefruit spoon, scraped the pulp right out starting from the inside. It took no time at all, with in minutes I really got the hang of it and scooped out 20 oranges.

thanks again for the recipe! what a great idea.

64. Brandy posted on October 28, 2011 at 10:54 pm (#)

I am making these tonight for a halloween party tomorrow. So excited – thanks for sharing!

65. Anonymous posted on November 13, 2011 at 1:47 am (#)

OMG!!! I made these for Halloween. The kids loved them. Thanks!!!

66. Anonymous posted on January 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm (#)

I always love trying different recipes, try these out there some of my favorite http://howtofixstuff.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-fix-various-jello-shots.html

67. Matgalen posted on October 1, 2012 at 2:35 pm (#)

Those are amazing, Halloween is coming up..

Fred
    delicioustapas.blogspot.com

68. B posted on September 28, 2013 at 2:03 am (#)

what size bottle of vodka? 750 ml?

69. Sara Howe posted on October 7, 2013 at 7:06 pm (#)

These sound amazing!!!! I’d love if you’d stop by and link up over at my Candy Corn Recipe Round-Up

70. Tracy Smith posted on October 25, 2013 at 6:15 pm (#)

So glad I found these, I’m in charge of making jello shots for a halloween party tomorrow!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks