The Best Virginia Wines

The sun finally came out for us this past Saturday… after days and days of rainy weather in the DC  area, we were finally able to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors.

We were up bright and early for a 5k run and then later headed over to the town center for the Reston Wine Festival.

DSC_0052

Lucky for me, my good friend Liz, (from Reston Style) brought her camera and let me use her photos for this post.

Isn’t she fantastic?  [Check out her photography blog as well]  I live vicariously through Liz’s style blog because I am too much of a wimp to post photos of myself.   Head on over to her blog and peep the cute top Liz wore while we all drank too much wine ;)

DSC_0053

As for me, I thought it would be fun to share with you some of the wines we really liked. Wine and cheese … that’s my calling in life.

All wines  are available for order online, or of course if you are in the Virginia area check with your local package store. [And by package store I mean beer, wine and liquor store. It's a Yankee thing.]

DSC_0063

It was warmer out and we were partial to whites and chilled dessert wines, my apologies for the lack of Merlot and Noir. Perhaps I will do another post with mostly reds when the temperature drops.

Cooper Vineyards Noche
A dessert red infused with chocolate (you could really taste it!) and hints of black cherry and raspberry. This one was definitely the most memorable for me… I would serve it with a brie cheese plate and raspberries!

Cooper Vineyards Sweet Lousia
 Intense Concord grape flavors and aromas make this wine a “grape juice with an attitude.” Best served chilled. This may sound a little crazy but I want to pour this one over frozen yogurt! Yum.
Cooper Vineyards Sangria Party Pack
3 bottles of perfect Cooper wines and frozen limeade and orange concentrate. Dark sangria in the Fall is 100% acceptable, and this one was some of the best I’ve ever had. I plan on ordering some for our Halloween get together next month.
Belle Mount Vineyards Norton
A dark red color with wild cherry aromas, Hints of bitter sweet chocolate and coffee make this wine a natural with beef lamb and red sauced pasta. This wine tasted like Christmas to me! You know the aroma of fresh cloves stuck in oranges? That was it. I would serve this with a strong cheddar or blue cheese.
Belle Mount Vineyards Sweet Breeze
The hint of honey in this tropical fruit flavored white wine really popped for me. It would be really good with anything spicy. Spicy Thai food, a spicy flank steak or even fish tacos!
Stone Mountain Vineyards Bacon Hallow Sunset
Come on … bacon in red wine? Yes please. Would be really good with spaghetti or pizza, this wine was awesome!
Chateua O’Brien Virginia Apple Wine
An apple dessert wine that “captures the essence of apples at their peak of fall ripeness”  So true. I would sip this warm even, like a spiked apple cider.
North Mountain Vineyard Tom’s Brook Red
A lightly sweet blend of Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Petit Verdot. Enjoy the fruitiness and full structure, along with a lightly sweet finish. This was my favorite red! It was light and sweet and would be great with any thing off the grill or a honey glazed ham.

12 Responses to “The Best Virginia Wines”

1. Elies_Lie posted on September 14, 2011 at 1:31 am (#)

Tq for sharing michelle!
    Lovely photos & curious about the wine! :)

2. Parsley Sage posted on September 14, 2011 at 1:33 am (#)

That bacon wine is unreal. And flipping awesome! Great photos from Liz, big thanks to her for sharing :) And you absolutely need to do a ‘red’ version. Buzzed

3. Kim Bee posted on September 14, 2011 at 1:53 am (#)

Looks like you had a great time. Bacon wine…unusual. The wild cherry one sounds fab!

4. Meeling posted on September 14, 2011 at 2:02 am (#)

Fun…well maybe…the last wine festival I went to…didn’t turn out too well, here’s the proof…

Funny now..but no so much then!! :-p

Glad you had a good time…great photos too.

5. Liz posted on September 14, 2011 at 11:32 am (#)

Yay! My pictures look so great on your blog! :)
    My post is up now too: http://restonstyle.blogspot.com/2011/09/tasting-really-means-drinking.html

6. Brittany posted on September 14, 2011 at 1:53 pm (#)

The Virginia Apple wine sounds amazing! I love wine “tastings”. I’m from Alabama and we say package stores too!

7. Erin posted on September 14, 2011 at 8:47 pm (#)

Fun! I want to go to a wine tasting!

8. Claire posted on September 14, 2011 at 10:19 pm (#)

Sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing about VA wines, I’ve only gone wine tasting in CA so it’s cool to know more about wines from other areas

9. savoryandsavage posted on September 15, 2011 at 7:41 pm (#)

Great wine review. Did the whites have a strong oak-y flavor? All the California wines seem to be aged in oak and I really don’t like the flavor it gives wines.

Liz, your pictures look amazing!

10. Sean Marie posted on September 15, 2011 at 11:11 pm (#)

I look forward to drinking wine again!!!!!

11. Sunshine And Smile posted on September 16, 2011 at 2:33 am (#)

Your friend has a fantastic blog. I am waiting for next weekend to enjoy the art and wine festival near our area :)

12. Mario posted on September 18, 2011 at 6:56 am (#)

Hi Michelle! Greetings from California! I am a new visitor to your blog. Happy birthday to Honey Bear and Happy Anniversary on your blog. Or is that a birthday greeting, too? Great photo. What a happy looking dog.And what a variety of wines. The red cherry is one I’d like to try. Great blog. I like your persoanl writing style.
    I write a blog on food and my musings on life and love. Please visit. Maybe follow. Take care.