Apple Cider Floats

I love caramel apples… I know that fall has truly arrived when I start to see them covered with chopped nuts and cased in plastic containers in the produce isle at the grocery store.

The flavor combination of the crisp, tart apple and the sweet, gooey, rich caramel gets me every time… (100% better than candy apples, don’t you agree?) So when I saw this recipe for an apple cider float drizzled with caramel, I couldn’t resist.

We are spending Halloween at the beach house this year. I am super excited for ghost stories on the beach around a bonfire with some pumpkin ale and s’mores!  I’ve been making a list of all the fun treats I can make while we are there.

After one sip of this float I’ve decided we will definitely be making these.

The contrast in temperature between the warm apple cider and the cool, creamy vanilla ice cream was amazing. “Better than a milkshake” is the response I got, and that’s pretty darn good.

Happy Friday!

Shopping List (from the Everyday with Rachael Ray Staff)
2 cups apple cider
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup vanilla ice cream
1 tbsp. caramel sauce
1 pinch of nutmeg

In small saucepan, heat cider with cinnamon stick. Pour cider into 2 float glasses. Top with ice cream, caramel sauce and some grated nutmeg. Serve with spoon. TIP: It helped me to put the ice cream in the glass first then pour on the cider!

37 Responses to “Apple Cider Floats”

1. Jill Colonna posted on September 9, 2011 at 12:19 pm (#)

Wow! I can see why you’ll be making these again – Hallowe’en or anytime. This looks scrumptious and love the name, too.

2. Curt posted on September 9, 2011 at 12:44 pm (#)

Sounds quick and simple, and definitely looks delicious!

3. Kim Bee posted on September 9, 2011 at 1:00 pm (#)

Super yummy looking float Michelle. I haven’t had a float is eons. Love this!

4. Parsley Sage posted on September 9, 2011 at 1:48 pm (#)

Delicious! Absolutely perfect for Halloween :) I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking about it already! Buzzed

5. Liz posted on September 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm (#)

This looks soooo good! Is there an alcoholic version!? :)

6. April posted on September 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm (#)

this looks amazing!! awesome photography :)

7. Tina posted on September 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm (#)

I have never heard of these, but after seeing the pics and the recipe-I can’t understand why! This is nothing short of delicious.
    Your halloween plans do sound like fun-have a great weekend for now.

8. Ari posted on September 9, 2011 at 4:06 pm (#)

Is it possible that with a little vodka it could be a great “adult” float? That would be just perfect for our Halloween getaway!

9. Sarah Catherine posted on September 9, 2011 at 5:01 pm (#)

I can’t wait to make this apple cider yum-fest!!

10. Hester Chang posted on September 9, 2011 at 5:12 pm (#)

Mmm, Michelle! This looks soooo good! I can’t wait to be whipping out apple pies now that it’s just about apple season! I really tried to refrain from buying them this summer for their ridiculous prices to make pies, lol.

Oh, you might want to add “whole nutmeg” or whatnot to your list of ingredients since you say to grate some but it’s not on the list :-) Have a great weekend, Michelle! Thanks for sharing this fantastic drink!

11. Erin posted on September 9, 2011 at 7:57 pm (#)

I want to drink this now. And lick that goodness of the side of the glass! What a great idea!

12. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on September 9, 2011 at 9:15 pm (#)

Oh my! This looks fabulous! I would have never thought to make something like this! This drink would be perfect to make around the fire on Halloween. Now, it just needs a little alcohol….

13. Krissy posted on September 9, 2011 at 9:30 pm (#)

This is genius!

14. Jennifer posted on September 9, 2011 at 11:05 pm (#)

My husband loves floats – reminds him of his childhood. This one looks great!

15. Shona posted on September 10, 2011 at 2:41 am (#)

Hope you don’t mind! I blogged this, and gave credit!

http://www.ishouldntbutimust.blogspot.com ;) check it out

16. savoryandsavage posted on September 10, 2011 at 5:28 pm (#)

I love caramel apples and ice cream floats. It is coming up on apple season – thanks for sharing the recipe.

17. Chef Dennis posted on September 10, 2011 at 10:01 pm (#)

Wow, now that is one delicious looking beverage! I would love to have one right now, and who doesn’t love caramel apples, I may have to give this a try with my girls!

18. Paper Plates and China Recipe Blog posted on September 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm (#)

Looks and sounds delicious! I’m going to have to give this a try.

19. Ann posted on September 11, 2011 at 12:45 am (#)

This is stunning! I’m with you – I like caramel apples better than candy apples. The drink sounds SO amazing and I know ALL your halloween guests are gonna love this one!

20. mjskit posted on September 11, 2011 at 9:10 am (#)

I’m with you – caramel beats candied apples any day! WOW! This cider floats looks absolutely delicious! Will definitely being trying this one!

21. Brad @ Do You Burn Toast? posted on September 11, 2011 at 1:51 pm (#)

Looks delicious! It’s almost about that time for Hot apple cider by the fire.

22. Apron Appeal posted on September 11, 2011 at 2:19 pm (#)

I just bought some apple cider and learned that my 8 year-old LOVES it….I think this may just knock things up a notch for him. Congrats on top 9!

23. keila posted on September 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm (#)

yum! this looks so delicious and I can’t wait to make these for the family. love your site and congrats on Top 9!

24. Sarah posted on September 11, 2011 at 3:56 pm (#)

Wow! This sounds fantastic! Going on my fall must-make list for sure!

25. SlipperCityCakes posted on September 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm (#)

Mmmm that first picture with the ice cream dripping over the side looks absolutely delicious! Yum!
    Elyse @The Cultural Dish

26. esther posted on September 13, 2011 at 3:48 am (#)

oh yuuum. i can imagine these would make a tasty ‘adult’ beverage too with some rum or brandy or something… but of course my mind would go straight to that.

27. Kita posted on September 14, 2011 at 1:51 am (#)

I just made these the other day! They were too cute to pass up!!!

28. Lily posted on September 27, 2011 at 2:35 pm (#)

omg these look sooo good. check out these variations on a root beer float–i bet they’d work really well in this too!

29. Jennifer posted on October 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm (#)

delicious! it tasted like an apple pie! i didn’t have the caramel syrup… but i did have buttershots :-)

30. Heather Veska posted on October 19, 2011 at 9:54 pm (#)

Delicious!

31. Kara @ Mine for the Making posted on October 25, 2011 at 12:37 am (#)

I featured this on my facebook page today!

Kara

32. Blissss posted on November 22, 2011 at 8:00 am (#)

This comment has been removed by the author.

33. Blissss posted on November 22, 2011 at 8:01 am (#)

Looks amazing! I might try this :)

34. Amanda posted on October 23, 2012 at 4:48 pm (#)

I loved this recipe and included it in an apple cider round up on my blog. Thanks for making and sharing this, it sounds fabulous! If you’d like to see the round up it’s here http://amandascookin.com/2012/10/30-apple-cider-recipes-for-fall.html

35. Albert einstien posted on June 19, 2014 at 5:47 am (#)

snow cone flavorsExcellent quality articles are here. This is good site with useful info.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: 10 “Perfect For Fall” Recipes With Apple Cider | The Preppy Post Grad