Raspberry Stuffed Cake Pops

I’ve never made red velvet cake pops before. Did you know that if you mash up red velvet cake in your hands they will be stained red for about 24 hours?

True story.

I don’t mind though because I made these for one of our awesome Summer interns who is leaving us today and she loves red velvet.

Maria is totally worth red hands.

This is also the first time I’ve stuffed fruit inside my cake pops. It worked out so well that I may try bananas next time. Watch out Starbucks ;)

Shopping List
One box red velvet cake
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Chocolate frosting
Chocolate candy melts
Red sprinkles
Lolly pop sticks

Bake your cake according to the directions on the box. When the cake is done and cooled crumble it into a large mixing bowl. (Pioneer Woman has an awesome step by step with photos here). Scoop about 2 large spoonfuls of chocolate frosting into the bowl and mix with your hands until combined.

Form small balls placing a raspberry in the center when you form them. Balls should be smaller than a golf ball. Stick a lolly pop stick in each ball, careful not to go all the way through to the other side.

Place balls on a parchement lined baking sheet and freeze over night.

Melt your candy melts in a deep, small bowl at 30 second intervals until smooth and thin. Take one cake pop out of the freezer at a time to coat. If they get to soft they could fall off the stick while you are coating them.

Spoon the melted chocolate over the pop until covered and then, while holding the pop at the top of the stick NOT THE BOTTOM, lightly tap, tap, tap against the side of the bowl until you lose all your excess chocolate and the pop seems evenly coated.

Sprinkle sugar or nuts or topping before the chocolate hardens.

20 Responses to “Raspberry Stuffed Cake Pops”

1. Liz posted on August 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm (#)

Yummy!!!! :)

2. Ericka Andersen posted on August 17, 2011 at 3:10 pm (#)

Putting me to shame again, I STILL haven’t made cake pops. It’s on the agenda for next week! I was actually looking at your others ones this week and staring at Bakerella for hours…ha.

3. Stephers posted on August 17, 2011 at 4:50 pm (#)

GREAT idea! Those are so pretty and sound so easy to make!!

4. Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny posted on August 17, 2011 at 5:29 pm (#)

These are fabulous Michelle! I LOVE cake pops and these are so inventive! Delicious! :)

5. Emily posted on August 17, 2011 at 5:31 pm (#)

AH to die for! I’m totally in love with raspberries, I’m thinking this is a must try!

6. Tina posted on August 17, 2011 at 5:47 pm (#)

These make me swoon-I love the picture where they are cut in half. Yum!

7. Janet@FromCupcakesToCaviar posted on August 17, 2011 at 6:52 pm (#)

Yum! I have got to get on the cake pop bandwagon. I haven’t tried eating OR making them yet!

8. Sarah Catherine posted on August 17, 2011 at 7:11 pm (#)

This sounds awesome, what other way to put fresh fruit in cake than a cake pop? So cute! :)

9. Tiffany posted on August 17, 2011 at 7:23 pm (#)

YES! Watch out Starbucks is right! :D

10. Dzoli posted on August 17, 2011 at 9:58 pm (#)

What a great idea.Writing it down.Sure tasty treat for kids;)

11. Erin posted on August 18, 2011 at 1:44 am (#)

These sound awesome! So pretty with the red too! Even if your hands were red :)

12. Parsley Sage posted on August 18, 2011 at 3:09 am (#)

Dear lord, it keeps getting better. Those look incredibly delicious and totally worth the pink hands. Which actually sound pretty cool…

13. Robyn Rasmussen posted on August 18, 2011 at 4:09 am (#)

These look AMAZING! You have so many great things on this blog, I am awarding you The Versatile Blogger Award! Please stop by my blog to accept: http://hotmomshelpfultips.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-first-blog-award.html
    -Robyn

14. icancookthat posted on August 18, 2011 at 1:10 pm (#)

These are beautiful! Sorry about the red hands :)

15. Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family posted on August 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm (#)

These look fantastic and probably taste just as good. So worth the red hands :)

16. SlipperCityCakes posted on August 18, 2011 at 5:44 pm (#)

Yummy! A nice surprise to a delicious dessert!

17. Curt posted on August 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm (#)

That’s an awesome recipe. I’ll bet it would work with strawberries too.

18. Kim Bee posted on August 20, 2011 at 11:48 pm (#)

Um, do I get kicked out of the foodie community when I admit I’ve never had a cake pop before? Lol! They aren’t popular here. I might have to try making them.

19. elenareviews posted on August 24, 2011 at 6:56 pm (#)

My girls will love the cake pops!

20. Stephanie posted on September 18, 2011 at 9:26 pm (#)

Great idea with the raspberry!