Pancit Bihon

Have you ever had Pancit? It’s a traditional Filipino noodle dish and it’s a-maz-ing. My boyfriends family is Filipino and he can’t get enough of it.  He raves about this stuff.

I tried to make in on my own last year — and being that I am not Filipino —  and the women in my family haven’t been making it for generations,  it was a TOTAL FAILURE.   It tasted nothing like my boyfriends mom’s and we were forced to drown it in soy sauce. Terrible.

This time though, I decided I wasn’t messing around …

Determined to get it right, I went to Juliana’s, a Filipino grocery store. Nessa, who runs the store with her husband was extremely helpful in talking me through the recipe and showing me the proper ingredients.

I also picked up some tapioca pearls for bubble tea, artificial mango, and banana flavoring and coconut juice as well.  Such a cool little market for foodies.

Nessa’s tips as well as my boyfriends step moms really made a difference this time and it was close to perfect {huge grin}.

P.S. You HAVE to  try this coconut juice. We first discovered it at our local Pho restaurant. It tastes nothing like the coconut water you buy at the store. This stuff is a coconut paradise vacation in your mouth.

The brand name is in a different language so I can’t help you there. But it looks like this…

Shopping List
Rice Stick Noodles (8 oz)
Carrots, julienned
Shredded cabbage (about a quarter of the head)
1 White onion, minced
3 Garlic cloves minced
1/2 cup chopped scallion
4 thinly sliced chicken breasts
Sweet Chinese sausage
2 cups chicken broth from store
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tea spoon fish sauce

You will need a large pot that you can soak your noodles in, a sauce pan for boiling chicken, a large frying pan for sauteing sausage and another large frying pan for simmering your veggies.

First slice your carrots, onions, garlic and scallions and shred your cabbage and set aside.

Boil your chicken in about 2 cups of salted water until it is just about cooked through out. They should be thinly sliced so that only takes about 10  minutes. Remove the chicken and pour the broth into your large pan that you are saving to soak your noodles in. (Don’t soak them yet)

Next, place your sausage in a frying pan with 1 cup of your store bought chicken broth, on low to medium heat put a lit on it and cook until soft. When done, pour that broth into your saved chicken broth as well.

Using a food processor shred your chicken breasts and sausage. (remove casing from sausage if any)

In your other pan for sauteing the veggies cook your onion and garlic for about 2 minutes. Add your carrots and 1 cup store bought chicken broth and teaspoon fish sauce to pan with garlic and onion. Sauteed until soft. Add cabbage last (to keep a little crunchy) and sauteed for about 5 minutes.

Pour veggie broth into other reserved broths. Soak noodles in reserved broth for about 10 minutes or until tender.

Combine all cooked ingredients, tender noodles and broth and soy sauce into large saute pan and toss cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.  Garnish with hard boiled egg and serve.

29 Responses to “Pancit Bihon”

1. Curt posted on August 22, 2011 at 5:06 pm (#)

Congrats on your eventual success with this. It looks delicious.

2. Claire posted on August 22, 2011 at 5:35 pm (#)

This looks great! I’ve never tried it but it looks delicious. Great pics!

3. Parsley Sage posted on August 22, 2011 at 5:39 pm (#)

…I want some of this right now! Cayman actually has a really big Filipino but we’ve only got 1 restaurant and its open at funky hours so I’ve never been able to go. This inspires me to make it happen…looks fabulous! Buzzed :)

4. savoryandsavage posted on August 22, 2011 at 6:35 pm (#)

Ohhh, I love learning about new recipes and this one looks delicious!!

It is going on my endless list of things to cook :-)

5. Sarah Catherine posted on August 22, 2011 at 7:07 pm (#)

Well, I certainly do love some bubble tea and that coconut water sounds yummy…also, mango and pineapple extracts? Sign me up :)

6. Tina posted on August 22, 2011 at 7:24 pm (#)

Glad that they were so helpful at the store. I have really never had Filipino food, but these ingredients sound pretty flavorful! The picture looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

7. Erin posted on August 22, 2011 at 8:33 pm (#)

Never heard of this before, but it looks awesome! I will be making a trip to the market soon, so I can try this!

8. Dzoli posted on August 22, 2011 at 9:07 pm (#)

Ok.We don’t have that juice here,but I had some when in Thailand and you could see me all day walking around with the coconut in my hand and a straw in it:)
    And I have never tried thsi filipino dish but I will.Great you shared it;))

9. Lo-mo posted on August 22, 2011 at 9:34 pm (#)

Looks great! I love finding new things to cook with. The coconut water sounds like an interesting find.

10. Stephers posted on August 23, 2011 at 12:38 am (#)

I’ve never heard of this dish, but judging by the ingredients, I would probably really like it! Glad you finally mastered the recipe!

11. Ali B posted on August 23, 2011 at 2:25 am (#)

I love bubble tea! This recipe looks great, glad you were finally able to get it perfect!

12. Ann posted on August 23, 2011 at 3:28 am (#)

This looks perfect! I lived in the Philippines for 3 years back in the 70s and this looks EXACTLY right! I’ve buzzed and bookmarked and I can’t wait to try this myself! Congratulations!

13. Hester Chang posted on August 23, 2011 at 7:05 am (#)

I love that coconut water! It was what I grew up on. The stuff that they sell in stores right now makes me gag, literally. Sorry for the TMI. As for the dish, it looks so tasty and is making me jones for some pronto! Congrats on “almost” (as you say) nailing it! I’m so glad the second time around was a success :-)

14. Free Spirit Eater posted on August 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm (#)

I don’t think I’ve ever had this dish before but the presentation and flavor combination is just lovely! I love the colors too, it looks and sounds amazing, definitely worth trying. Thanks so much for sharing, great post. Hopefully I can find a store near me with all the goods. =]

15. Janet@FromCupcakesToCaviar posted on August 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm (#)

Sounds great Michelle! Being where I am, Filipino food isn’t exactly easy to find. This makes me wish it were :-)

16. Diethood.com posted on August 23, 2011 at 9:52 pm (#)

This sounds delicious! Those noodles are perfectly cooked and I love the addition of that boiled egg…yum!

17. Kelsey posted on August 23, 2011 at 11:23 pm (#)

Pancit Bihon was my favorite dish a child growing up in Hawaii. The sweet Chinese sausage is really what makes it so delicious. Thanks for putting this recipe up!
    -http://gradsguidetowine.blogspot.com

18. Sarah posted on August 24, 2011 at 12:01 am (#)

I’ve never heard of this dish but it sounds fantastic! And I will for sure be keeping my eyes open for that coconut juice!

19. Mother Rimmy posted on August 24, 2011 at 2:52 am (#)

I’m so glad it turned out for you this time! It looks delicious!

20. Peggy posted on August 24, 2011 at 9:53 am (#)

Good job with this! Looks just like how my mom would wake it =)

21. Adora's Box posted on August 24, 2011 at 10:11 am (#)

Michelle, I couldn’t done this better myself. You cooked bihon like a Pinay. I am both pleased and proud. Congrats on the top 9. Thanks for putting another Pinoy dish on top 9. Yeyyy!

22. Kate posted on August 24, 2011 at 12:04 pm (#)

Congrats on the top 10! This looks delicious. I will definitely have to bookmark this. Thanks for sharing!

23. Trix posted on August 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm (#)

There is a newish Filipino restaurant that recently opened up and I have been meaning to go – I should go and taste this dish and then make it on my own I think! Looks perfect!

24. Diethood.com posted on August 24, 2011 at 12:49 pm (#)

Congrats on Top 9!!

25. nanaka6172 posted on August 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm (#)

Thats so coolmy bf is Filipino too and I want to learn how to cook this for him so I can surprise him and his family lol. Thanks and it looks awesome lol.

26. Jo posted on August 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm (#)

hey Michelle, coming from a Filipina…this looks awesome! =) makes me want to cook some soon! thank you for sharing!

27. Curry and Comfort posted on August 25, 2011 at 2:47 am (#)

This dish is my kind of tasty food. I love the flavors. YUM! I love coconut water. I would love to find and try the one you have in your post. Congrats on making Top 9! : ) Well deserved.

28. Kristen posted on August 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm (#)

I am totally unfamiliar with Filipino food, but I recognize deliciousness in any language. That bowl looks wonderful!

29. Shirley posted on August 25, 2011 at 8:36 pm (#)

Your persistence paid off, this looks great! I’m not familiar with Filipino food, but I love noodles.