Oven Baked Chili Cheese Dogs

Can you believe there is only one month of Hot Dog Friday left? Just one more month until we turn our air conditioners off and start talking about pumpkins and apple cider.

This weeks hot dog is not fancy or original — but it’s certainly a classic that I had to include.

My boyfriend told me yesterday that when he was a little boy his dad used to take him to 7/11 for a chili cheese dog and a Slurpee before they went to the comic book store. “I was soooooo happy,” he said. “We called them ‘chili death dogs.'”

For me, chili cheese dogs remind me of  the first baseball game I ever went to. I was with my grandpa and we had just driven from Connecticut to DC to drop off my things at my new apartment for my summer internship. We dumped off all my stuff and headed to a Nationals game. First baseball game and first night in DC. (I never left)

I think chili cheese dogs hold a special place in everyones heart.  Right?

Then again, as we know, I clearly like hot dogs more than your average bear.

This recipe comes from “In the Wabe” a gorgeous photography and food blog I just found. After baking them in the oven like she suggests, I may never cook a chili cheese dog any other way.

Note: I used Amy’s Organic Chili, with tofu (I actually prefer it), turkey dogs and light mayo.

Oven Hot Dogs from In the Wabe
8 hot dogs
8 hot dog buns
1 can of chili
1/2 an onion, diced
cheddar cheese
mayonnaise
mustard
sweet relish

Line inside of hot dog buns with mayonnaise and sweet relish. Evenly add mustard. Fill with hot dogs and squish into a 13×9″ baking pan.

Top hot dogs with chili, cheese, and diced onion. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350F for 45 minutes.

Remove hot dogs carefully with tongs or a spatula. Be careful my got stuck to the foil a little bit.

17 Responses to “Oven Baked Chili Cheese Dogs”

1. Ericka Andersen posted on August 12, 2011 at 2:18 pm (#)

Rick will love this. I’m totally gonna make it in the next week or so. Delish! You could even make it healthy…one by using Amy’s, like you did, maybe 100% whole wheat buns, vegetarian hot dogs, lowfat cheese, etc. Not that anyone should WANT to make this healthy but I was just thinking of ME :)

2. Kat @ Cupcake Kat posted on August 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm (#)

I’ve seen baked hot dogs before but I have never done it. This idea really excites me. It would be great for a party

3. Claire posted on August 12, 2011 at 3:16 pm (#)

Ive never made them in the oven, only on the grill so I’ll have to try this. This recipe sounds delish! Thanks for sharing :)

4. Tina posted on August 12, 2011 at 3:28 pm (#)

Hot dogs have recently come up in popularity around this house due to some of those delicious recipe posts out there! This one does look like a winner and great for a crowd. Thanks for sharing.

5. Parsley Sage posted on August 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm (#)

Ah. Comic books and hotdogs. You’ve got yourself a good man right there :) Have I told you this is pretty much my favorite series ever. I an’t believe there’s only one month left!

6. The Slow Roasted Italian posted on August 12, 2011 at 5:36 pm (#)

I REALLY want a hot dog or 12 now. YUM!!!

7. Curt posted on August 12, 2011 at 5:58 pm (#)

Man, I could eat at least 3 of those without even blinking!

Chili cheese dogs always remind me of Padre Island. I always got those and Frito Pie when I was there. Which was quite often since I grew up in San Antonio.

8. savoryandsavage posted on August 12, 2011 at 6:18 pm (#)

Lol, great story about the comic books and hotdogs.

Those chili cheese dogs look sooo good:-)

9. Liz posted on August 12, 2011 at 7:29 pm (#)

I SERIOUSLY need to come over for dinner! (Or make these myself!) They look amazing :) Well done :)

10. Kita posted on August 12, 2011 at 9:30 pm (#)

O.M.G. Want.

11. Erin posted on August 13, 2011 at 12:02 am (#)

Chili Death Dogs that is awesome! Those looks gooey and delicious baked in all that cheese and sauce.

12. Ann posted on August 13, 2011 at 12:35 am (#)

Wow – I love these! My father is a huge chili cheese dog guy…he’d go crazy for them! This has been a great summer treat you’ve done for all of us hot dog fans!

13. Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny posted on August 13, 2011 at 12:44 am (#)

Ohh wow what a brilliant idea, my boyfriend is salivating as we speak since he’s looking over my shoulder at the screen ;) Great job!

14. Diethood.com posted on August 13, 2011 at 1:55 am (#)

Oooooh I haven’t had one of these in ages!!

15. Curry and Comfort posted on August 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm (#)

Okay… I think you could be my kids new hero! They would go nuts for this. Okay, who am I kidding, my husband and I would join them too. : ) Great Job!

16. Chrisonthego posted on August 14, 2011 at 11:41 pm (#)

Looks really good! Love you hot dog friday.

17. Lora Anne M posted on September 26, 2011 at 10:53 pm (#)

This sounds so good!