Homemade Fruit Roll Ups

There are about a handful of things left in life that bring out my inner child, and one of them is fruit roll ups…

Given the opportunity — meaning the man of the house brings them home because he thinks it’s funny to see me light up like a little kid — I will eat an entire box in one sitting.

So when I saw this recipe in September’s Food Network Magazine, I knew I had to give it a try.

There are several flavor options (check them out here) but I opted for Strawberry Banana and Raspberry Vanilla. While the raspberry had great color, in hindsight, I would stick to fruit with smaller/less seeds.

See, this is what fruit roll ups do to me… (Cupcakes and tiaras aye? I guess somethings never change)

Shopping List for Strawberry Banana (from Food Network Magazine)
3 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
2 medium bananas, peeled
3/4 Cup sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Non stick foil or a silicone mat
Parchment paper

Transfer the pureed fruit to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally at first and then more often toward the end, until most of the liquid evaporates and the mixture is very thick, 35 to 45 minutes. Be careful: The mixture may splatter.

Line a 12-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheet with a silicone mat or nonstick foil. Use an offset spatula to spread the fruit on the mat or foil into a thin layer. Bake at 200 degrees, until barely tacky, 3 hours to 3 hours, 30 minutes.

Transfer the baking sheet to a rack and let the fruit leather cool completely. Peel off of the mat or foil. If the leather is still moist on the underside, return it to the oven, moist-side up, until dry, about 20 more minutes.

TRICK: Since I used foil, I cut off the outer edges of the foil with scissors so it was a thick clean square layer of fruit leather on foil that I would begin peeling off

Once removed from foil, lay the leather smooth-side down on a parchment paper and use kitchen shears to cut it into strips on the paper. Roll up the strips and store in zip-top bags for up to 1 week.

26 Responses to “Homemade Fruit Roll Ups”

1. Hester Chang posted on August 28, 2011 at 11:17 pm (#)

Ooh, Michelle! These look wonderful! I was more a Fruit By the Foot and Gushers girl, lol. But I know what you mean about getting giddy over them!

2. Michelle O posted on August 28, 2011 at 11:22 pm (#)

I loved them all… fruit by the foot (which these mimic actually), fruit snacks, “fruit roll ups” anything and everything that was sugar and processed fruit.

3. simple girl posted on August 28, 2011 at 11:32 pm (#)

this looks lovely!!! mmmmmm. I was unfortunately not allowed to have these when I was growing up and didn’t have my first one until my sophomore year of college and I must say it was divineeee!

4. Dzoli posted on August 28, 2011 at 11:33 pm (#)

Never thought you could make them at home.Thanks;)

5. Sandra posted on August 28, 2011 at 11:43 pm (#)

I am speechless..these look incredible!! What a great post!

6. The Unseasoned Wok posted on August 29, 2011 at 1:12 am (#)

I love these! I was a HUUUUGE fruit rollup fan as a kid and I never thought once of making them myself. So cool. Thanks!

7. Sean Marie posted on August 29, 2011 at 2:47 am (#)

Mmm… I love fruit roll ups! These are so pretty.

8. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on August 29, 2011 at 3:51 am (#)

AWESOME!! These look so good!

9. The Picky Eater posted on August 29, 2011 at 6:35 am (#)

These are freakin awesomesauce! I’m super excited and nervous to make them but I will give it a shot!

Flava in ya ear

10. Christine's Pantry posted on August 29, 2011 at 7:40 am (#)

Wow! Looks wonderful. Great post.

11. The Mom Chef posted on August 29, 2011 at 1:42 pm (#)

I have these tabbed to make when I start my September magazines. I wondered about the seeds and was surprised that they weren’t strained out in the original recipe. Your gorgeous pictures make me even more excited to give them a go!

12. Sarah Catherine posted on August 29, 2011 at 3:02 pm (#)

I tried to make these in June with a recipe from the June/July Fine Cooking magazine. They’re not on my blog because they turned out to be a leathery disaster! I so wanted to make them, but didn’t have the patience to try again. I’m glad they worked out for you, they look perfect. :)

13. The Farmers Wife posted on August 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm (#)

Oh Michelle, those are just AWESOME!! I will HAVE to give these a try for my little man! He would just love these, and they look so fantastic!

14. Sarah posted on August 30, 2011 at 4:14 am (#)

L O V E . These are fantastic!!

15. Liz posted on August 30, 2011 at 8:17 pm (#)

these look AMAZING!!!! I love fruit roll ups too! R likes to give me a hard time about eating 5-10 in one sitting…

16. Tiffany posted on August 30, 2011 at 8:53 pm (#)

I want to make these for my nephews!

17. Francheska posted on August 31, 2011 at 12:19 am (#)

Nice, but three hours in the oven? a little harsh on the light bill

18. Kim Bee posted on August 31, 2011 at 3:43 am (#)

Great job on this Michelle. I saw them too and was floored. Must make them even though my kids are older now. Your pics are fantastic. Love the tiara!

19. Parsley Sage posted on August 31, 2011 at 2:16 pm (#)

Kick ass! These are fantastic and awesome for satisfying your inner kidlet :) Buzzed

20. Ketutar posted on September 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm (#)

Mmm… never seen this kind of things before. We didn’t make fruit leather in FInland. Thanks!

P.S. Next time, sieve the raspberry pips out of the jam ;-)

P.P.S. You could ad a little coloring after the thing has been cooked, for the color. Beetroot, if not artificial. Strawberries have a bit boring color…

21. Ann posted on September 4, 2011 at 2:37 am (#)

I’m not a fruit roll up person, but I bet the home made is WAY better than store bought! I do, however, love when you find a recipe for a favorite thing!

22. Roxana GreenGirl posted on September 5, 2011 at 1:07 am (#)

i’m missing out reading the September issues but I’m happy you showed me a delicious preview. These fruit rolls look amazing!!!
    thanks for sharing

23. Anonymous posted on February 20, 2012 at 3:47 pm (#)

I am probably over looking it but… I didnt see where it said what temp. to bake at.

• Michelle O replied on February 20th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Youre right I forgot it!!! I can’t believe that. It’s 200 degrees :) Sorry about that.

24. Anonymous posted on May 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm (#)

Making these for myself, and my cousin on her birthday. She is a HUGE FAN of Fruit Roll ups/Fruit by the foot.

25. Zachary Barton posted on May 9, 2013 at 12:00 am (#)

The thing you made is not a fruit-roll up rather a fruit by the foot