Banana Butter Cupcakes with Cocoa Cream Cheese Frosting

Have you ever heard of a dirty banana?

It’s a frozen banana and coffee flavored cocktail served at Seacrets, an outdoor bar in Ocean City, Maryland.

What did you think I was talking about? Get your mind out of the gutter!

These cupcakes aren’t coffee flavored but they are  banana flavored (clearly) and after drinking way too many dirty bananas on Saturday afternoon it’s all I can think of while writing this post.

I made these for a co-workers birthday on Friday. Fresh bananas in butter cake with a light cream cheese and chocolate frosting. The banana chips and adorable cupcake liners just added to the fun.

Is it possible to still be hungover from Saturday? I also drank several “Pain in da butts.” Frozen strawberry and pineapple with rum.

I hope I can revive my body in spin class tonight. Welcome to my Monday.

Shopping List (makes about two dozen cupcakes)

1 box Duncan Hines Butter Golden Cake Mix
3 eggs
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup melted butter
2 bananas
2 packages cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup Hershey’s natural unsweetened cocoa powder
Banana chips for garnish

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Mix your cake mix, eggs, butter and bananas with a hand mixer until smooth. Fill your muffin liners 2/3 of the way and bake for about 21 minutes or until they pass the toothpick test.

In a separate bowl mix your roomtemperture cream cheese, powdered sugar and cocoa until combined. Fill with a pipping bag and top your cupcakes after they have cooled.

23 Responses to “Banana Butter Cupcakes with Cocoa Cream Cheese Frosting”

1. Elisabeth posted on August 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm (#)

Your cupcake our “outrages”…so cute!!!
    You are so funny! Love your comment about the dirty banana.
    Such easy to make cupcake, with the cake mix, yet so pretty and yummy!
    I will put your blog in my “foodie friends” blog list, so I can always catch up on your latest post.
    I just happened to see your post this morning on my blog reader!

2. Liz posted on August 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm (#)

These look amazing!!!! Sorry you’re still hungover… I generally get 3 day hangovers, so I feel your pain! I sooo want some cupcakes now! :)

3. Claire posted on August 15, 2011 at 3:33 pm (#)

Haha never had a dirty banana but that drink and these cupcakes sound good!

4. Janet@FromCupcakesToCaviar posted on August 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm (#)

Loving the cupcakes; feeling for you on the hangover lol.

5. Wanna Be A Country Cleaver posted on August 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm (#)

I think I need one of these….or three.
    ~Megan

6. Hester Chang posted on August 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm (#)

These cupcakes look great! I could definitely have a few of them ;-) I know everyone at work totally enjoyed them. Hope you’re feeling better and that your week is starting off splendidly :-)

7. Stephers posted on August 15, 2011 at 7:25 pm (#)

I love banana cupcakes and those liners are so cute!
    - Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.

8. esther posted on August 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm (#)

a dirty banana sounds delicous!
    i feel really weird saying that.
    but you know what i mean.

I LOVE banana cupcakes, and these look spectacular!

9. The Farmers Wife posted on August 15, 2011 at 10:16 pm (#)

Never had a dirty banana, but it does sound good… haha I totally can’t write that without cracking up laughing… I love these cupcakes though, I can just imagine how moist and delicious they are!

10. Erin posted on August 16, 2011 at 1:22 am (#)

Pretty cupcakes! I am sure they were a hit with your co-worker!

11. Torviewtoronto posted on August 16, 2011 at 1:33 am (#)

frosting and these cupcakes look delicious

12. Kim Bee posted on August 16, 2011 at 6:14 am (#)

My birthday is in January so can I put in an order now? Love these so much. Only cure for a hangover would be vodka gummi’s. Lol!

13. Parsley Sage posted on August 16, 2011 at 11:27 am (#)

…I totally want to party with you.

14. SlipperCityCakes posted on August 16, 2011 at 11:51 am (#)

Those dirty banana drinks sound amazing! I know it’s not even 8am yet but you have me craving one! :)

15. Lauren posted on August 16, 2011 at 12:20 pm (#)

Oh my, this are fantastic. There’s something about bananas and chocolate. I’m thinking cupcakes with the drink. Perfect.

16. Tiffany posted on August 16, 2011 at 6:33 pm (#)

Is it awful that I want to slurp down that cocoa cream cheese frosting with a spoon!!?!?!????? Mmmmmmm!

17. Erin posted on August 16, 2011 at 9:24 pm (#)

Yum! These look so delicious. Love the flavor combination!

18. Emily posted on August 17, 2011 at 12:38 am (#)

This cupcake reminds me of a drink I had in Costa Rica called the dirty monkey. I always hated ordering it but bananas and chocolate…Yum Yum Yum!

19. Sandra posted on August 17, 2011 at 12:40 am (#)

Well I can’t help you on hangover thing, since I don’t drink but I love your amazing idea of cupcakes, I have feeling they will cure everything:)) Wonderful presentation!

20. Kim Bee posted on August 17, 2011 at 5:56 am (#)

Congrats for top 9 Michelle!

21. BigBearswife posted on August 17, 2011 at 8:50 pm (#)

yum!! COngrats on being on the top 9 at Foodbuzz!

22. Breeoxd posted on August 26, 2011 at 5:25 am (#)

you’re my hero lol. Love the fact that you’re spinnin’ cookin’ and hungover all at the same time. I love livin in the DC area too- thanks for all of the recipes!

23. Patty H. posted on October 6, 2011 at 2:27 am (#)

These are so cute, and the cocoa cream cheese frosting sounds delicious. I love monkeys, so of course I think the cupcake holders are adorable!