Tuna Avocado Ceviche

To make up for drinking too much wine at a local vineyard on Sunday Funday and missing my Monday blog  post  (I have no regrets!) I bought an expensive sashimi grade tuna steak for an extra special Tuesday  post.

Ceviche! My favorite thing ever! (Other than all cheeses, caprese salad and gummy bears of course.)

So the best tuna I’ve ever had was in the Dominican Republic while on vacation at the Punta Cana Club Med Resort. We arrived at the dinning hall for “sushi night” and there was a huge fish laid out on the serving table (a tuna fish). I was confused, no California roll?

I handed them my plate and they sliced the tuna right there. Pure, raw tuna and that’s it. I can still taste it right now; melt in your mouth soft, flavorful and cold. Better than any California roll for sure.

Since then I’ve been hooked. Raw tuna is the way to go. Please don’t cook it, don’t even sear it. But if you must… you absolutely must,  this tuna ceviche is exceptional.

Shopping list (slightly altered from New York Times)
1 pound sashimi grade tuna steak, cubed
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 jalapeño seeded and minced
3 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained (I went heavy on the capers)
1 ripe medium avocado, cubed
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro to taste

Prepare the tuna and refrigerate while you dice your onions and other ingredients.

Soak the onions in a small bowl with water. Let sit five minutes, then drain, rinse and dry on paper towels.

In a medium bowl, combine the onion, garlic, jalapeño, capers, avocado, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. (Not the cilantro yet) Toss together gently. Add the tuna to the bowl.

Stir together the remaining lime juice and the olive oil. Pour over the tuna, and toss the mixture together. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Just before serving, add the cilantro and toss together. Taste and adjust seasonings.

(Serves about five )

P.S. The best non tuna ceviche I have ever had is from a friends Chilean catering company. Jenny has their secret family recipe here.

16 Responses to “Tuna Avocado Ceviche”

1. DD posted on July 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm (#)

Awesome recipe dear!!!! it could be a great entry to healthy snacks event in my blog. can you step ahead and link your entry

Event-Healthy Snacks-GFR
    Event-QUick and Easy recipes-FBN

2. Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny posted on July 19, 2011 at 4:25 pm (#)

This looks so delicious and so healthy! :)

3. tell yourself to be myself posted on July 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm (#)

definitely trying this one! thanks for sharing!

4. Mental Chew posted on July 19, 2011 at 5:18 pm (#)

Now that sounds just delicious and delightful. This is going on next week’smenu plan. Bookmarking now.

5. Hester Chang posted on July 19, 2011 at 6:30 pm (#)

Mmm! Definitely summery, indeed. I LOVE raw tuna and its magical flavors and textures all dancing around in my mouth. It’s the simplest things that are truly the best :-)

6. Butrcreamblondi posted on July 19, 2011 at 7:04 pm (#)

I love ceviche especially with tuna and avocado! Your looks amazing!

7. BestOodles posted on July 19, 2011 at 9:52 pm (#)

Tuna and Avocado in ceviche form yum!! This is very much for summer.

8. Parsley Sage posted on July 19, 2011 at 10:04 pm (#)

I’m with you, raw tuna is the way to go! I’ve never been brave enough to try a home ceviche though. This looks ace, especially with the avocado

9. Pola posted on July 20, 2011 at 2:38 am (#)

Good ceviche is my favorite thing! And yours looks like a great ceviche!

10. Tina posted on July 20, 2011 at 12:17 pm (#)

Decent raw tuna is hard to come by here, so I envy you. This looks fantastic-Yum!
    flourtrader.blogspot.com

11. Petra posted on July 20, 2011 at 6:04 pm (#)

Mmm, your blog makes me hungry ;)
    I posted a photo of your pink lemonade cupcakes you made on my blog, and placed a link with it!!! They look so yummie!!

12. Hester Casey posted on July 21, 2011 at 7:14 pm (#)

There is no place to hide in this lovely dish – everything must be fantastically fresh. This is gorgeous!

13. Diethood.com posted on July 23, 2011 at 5:27 pm (#)

YUM! Nice flavors, fresh, and delicious!

14. Test Kitchen and Bar posted on October 1, 2011 at 4:22 pm (#)

Hey, your ceviche looks great. You should check out my recipe too…

Tuna and Avocado Ceviche

15. Miss Ericka posted on October 24, 2011 at 12:09 am (#)

We recently made this for a dinner party and it was a huge hit! Several members of my family don’t like fish but they loved this ceviche!! Thanks for sharing!!

16. Jenni (Traveler For Good) posted on December 29, 2011 at 3:56 am (#)

After having ceviche for the first time about two years ago, I’m in love! This recipe looks delicious (and just in time for healthier new years eating)