Sweet & Savory Breakfast Hot Dog

Have you ever had a McGriddle from McDonald’s? You know, those delicious breakfast pancake sandwiches that have like 5 gazillion calories.

Oh, you haven’t?

Yeah … I don’t eat McDonald’s either.

But if I did … the inspiration for this breakfast hot dog would have come from one of those pancake sandwiches.

A fried egg, sprinkled cheddar cheese and chives on top of a hot dog wrapped in turkey bacon, with cinnamon and sugar butter and maple syrup.

Happy Hot Dog Friday! Why wait until lunch?

Shopping List
All beef hot dogs
Eggs (one per hot dog)
Hot dog buns
Turkey bacon (one or two slices per hot dog)
Chives (just a sprinkle)
Shredded Cheddar (just a sprinkle)
Maple Syrup
Cinnamon and Sugar Butter (New in stores from Land O Lakes

Wrap one or two pieces of your turkey bacon around the hot dog and place it on the grill or on a grill pan on high heat. Cook until bacon is crispy and fully cooked.

Fry your egg sunny side up and sprinkle some of the chives on top.

Toast your hot dog bun and then spread a generous amount of cinnamon and sugar butter on the inside of the bun.

Place your bacon wrapped hot dog in the bun then sprinkle your cheddar and place the egg on top of the hot dog, then drizzle with maple syrup.

(Posted a little early since I’m up at 4am on Friday for a dreaded 4 hour drive to Ft. Picket for a work assignment. Hooah)

17 Responses to “Sweet & Savory Breakfast Hot Dog”

1. Kim Bee posted on July 29, 2011 at 12:45 am (#)

Very creative. I would need toothpicks to keep my eyes open at 4 am.

2. millie. posted on July 29, 2011 at 1:52 am (#)

this sounded/looked weird it at first.. but salted caramel sounded weird when i first heard about it too.
    i’ll have to try this some time, thanks!

3. Curt posted on July 29, 2011 at 2:19 am (#)

Man that sounds great. Looks great too. That’s a very clever idea.

I’ve had pizza for breakfast, but never a hot dog with my egg.

Very clever indeed!

4. Ann posted on July 29, 2011 at 4:01 am (#)

I love hot dogs, I love eggs, I love sweet maple syrup…I think this is AWESOME!

5. Dzoli posted on July 29, 2011 at 5:32 am (#)

I never ever eat McDonalds.Just personal thing.But your hot dog I would readily munch on:)

6. Foodness Gracious posted on July 29, 2011 at 6:08 am (#)

I freakin love the idea of putting an egg on top off the dog, totally up my street!!
    Thanks..

7. Adora's Box posted on July 29, 2011 at 11:34 am (#)

Yum yum yum! We actually eat hotdogs for breakfast in the Philippines with our traditional breakfast rolls or sometimes even with fried rice.

8. Valerie posted on July 29, 2011 at 3:43 pm (#)

That’s definitly a great hot dog and a great breakfast!!

9. Hester Chang posted on July 30, 2011 at 5:15 am (#)

Michelle, you’ve got a thing for hot dogs :-) I’m noticing a pattern here! I’m in awe of all the creative ways that you do them up. This one is no exception. I love sweet and savory combinations; they totally get the taste buds going. I wonder if you salivate more because more buds are being activated? Hmm. Either way, I think you should enter into hot dog competitions!

10. Parsley Sage posted on July 30, 2011 at 3:05 pm (#)

Just when I think your hot dogs can’t get any better…you BAM me with this sweet pancakey hot dog heaven. Wowsers! I’m totally bookmarking this because I don’t even have the option to pork out at McDonalds. There aren’t any in Cayman :)

Oh and pine nuts?…grab your heart and die a little pricey here.

11. Magic of Spice posted on July 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm (#)

What a creative idea for breakfast…I’m sure my nieces and nephews would get a kick out of this :)

12. The Picky Eater posted on July 31, 2011 at 7:40 pm (#)

I’m not too fond of hot dogs but it does look great! Very creative! There are a lot of hot dog lovers out there.

Flava in ya ear

13. Kita posted on August 1, 2011 at 9:11 pm (#)

Hot dogs for breakfast? Yeah, I can be all kinds of down with that.

14. KINGRPG posted on August 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm (#)

I like this hot dog!! It will be my healty breakfast menu.

15. Julia at Cafe Lula posted on August 9, 2011 at 9:56 am (#)

Wow, hot dog Friday is a great idea! I love hot dogs! And you certainly have enough recipes for them :) Think I’ll be making quite a few of these…

16. Meeling posted on September 8, 2011 at 12:00 am (#)

Yummo!!

17. Pixie O'Kneel posted on November 7, 2011 at 8:10 pm (#)

This looks great!! I would have to pass on the syrup and cinnamon butter though.